A Sheepshank Query

Old December 30th 04, 09:25 PM
Larry Louks

Default A Sheepshank Query

I've just learned to tie a sheepshank. At first, I thought that it would
maintain its shape even when pulled hard. However, I discovered that when
put under a load, it does indeed lose its shape and becomes just a "blob."
If you want it to keep its shape, should you bind the two loops to the other
parts of the rope with a piece of wire to make them stay where they are?
(Granted, I may just not understand what a sheepshank is supposed to
provide.) Thanks for any insight you'd care to share.

Larry

Old December 30th 04, 11:21 PM
Brian G.

Hi Larry,

Usually, the application mentioned for the Sheepshank is to shorten a
rope without cutting it. The load needs to be put on the Sheepshank
slowly and kept reasonably constant. The Sheepshank will generally lose
its shape if it is jerked. How well it works will depend on the rope
you are using. I experiment (play) with a 3/8 inch kermantle and the
Sheepshank works pretty well.

If you want more security, your idea of seizing the bights (loops) to
the other part of the rope is excellent. However, use a smaller
diameter cord for the seizing. Wire will almost certainly damage the
ropes.

Another way to increase the security is to use a toggle. The toggle
would be placed over one side of the bight (loop) under the rope and
over the second side of the bight (loop). For the Sheepshank you need
two toggles. If my description makes any sense, I'll be surprised.

Larry, it sounds as if you are hooked on knots! Welcome!! Eventually,
if you don't own it yet, you will be buying "The Ashley Book of Knots"
by Clifford Ashley. So, start saving! smile Ashley's book is
considered the knot tyers bible.

All the best,
Brian.

Old December 31st 04, 02:12 AM
Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
"Larry Louks" wrote:

I've just learned to tie a sheepshank. At first, I thought that it would
maintain its shape even when pulled hard. However, I discovered that when
put under a load, it does indeed lose its shape and becomes just a "blob."

Then something is not right. It should keep its shape. The only thing I
have ever managed to do to a sheeshank was to collapse it so that it simply
comes undone. Never into a blob.

First of all, the prupose of a sheepshanks is to tighten a rope that's too
long without having to cut it, or to bypass a tattered portion of the line.
Since the load is carried by the two loops on each end the tattered portion
if placed in between those two loops, carries no load. (the middle of the
three leads in between the loops)

I have had at times considerable tension on a sheepshank, but would not use
is as such for any critical use, especially not if it would be subject to
shaking or jerking, as I don't think it is stable enough.

If you want it to keep its shape, should you bind the two loops to the other
parts of the rope with a piece of wire to make them stay where they are?

You don't use wire on any rope. Wire rusts or can cut or othewise damage
your rope. In any case, not a good idea, never mind that any selfrespecting
knot tyer would consider it heresy. "Pooh pooh, tut, tut, what some
people's kids do to a rope! Have you ever? Tsk tsk."

Use some twine as you would for any seizing.

To answer your question: Yes, seizing the free bights to the standing part
of the rope will make the knot considerably more stable.

--
Karl Pollak, Richmond, British Columbia
Sea Scouting in Canada at http://www.seascouts.ca/
Old December 31st 04, 09:42 AM
Larry Louks

"Brian G." made the observation:
Larry, it sounds as if you are hooked on knots! Welcome!! Eventually,
if you don't own it yet, you will be buying "The Ashley Book of Knots"
by Clifford Ashley. So, start saving! smile Ashley's book is
considered the knot tyers bible.

I really appreciate the response, and the recommendation of this book. I'm
just starting to learn about knots, and you are right. I find this stuff to
be fascinating!

Larry
'it's fun to "tie one on"'

Old December 31st 04, 09:48 AM
Larry Louks

"Karl Pollak" stated:
Then something is not right. It should keep its shape. The only thing I
have ever managed to do to a sheeshank was to collapse it so that it
simply
comes undone. Never into a blob.

Hmmm... I just now tried to reproduce what I had mentioned, but was not able
to. It looks like I may have been experimenting with a different knot when I
got the result of the "blob." Sorry that I added confusion to the issue.

To answer your question: Yes, seizing the free bights to the standing part
of the rope will make the knot considerably more stable.

Many thanks for your reply, Karl. This is some great stuff, and I'm glad
that I happened on to this newsgroup!

Larry
'learning as I go'