TIDBITS 12/12/04

Old December 11th 04, 09:53 PM
Benjamin Mark

Default TIDBITS 12/12/04

If any of you want Tidbits emailed directly, let me know and
I'll take care of it. Tidbits may be reprinted without charge --
with attribution. Additionally, if you know of anyone who you think
would enjoy Tidbits, please make them aware of us. URL
(http://www.tyler-adam.com). We encourage you to forward
this email to friends and colleagues.
======================================

The Blob

Sub-title: Scam Artist or Genius?

Sub-sub-title: The Sculptor and the Setter

5'll". Fedora ... angled. Thin. Elegant.
Mustache. Van Dyke. Cane ... no limp. Tweed
vest. Tweed everything. Looking for a setter.
I hear you're a genius. Got any broken stones? Want
to do some work for me?

All this in one breath. He looked like Don Quixote.
But no Sancho Panza. Yeah. Sure. Why not? No broken
stones though. No problem no problem lad. I'm a sculptor.
High class or nothing. Only the best. Got a show coming up
at the Met. Me and Salvador. You want to come ... you're
invited. I'll let you know when.

All this ... years ago. He was in an out of my life
in scant seconds if one measures time in relation to how
long this earth has been in existence. Almost forty years
have come and gone ... yet he sticks in my mind till today.

I tell you about him because I found a piece of jewelry that
is very much reminiscent of his work. For those of you
bored with this little diatribe ... go take a look now ... if
you don't mind missing an amazing tale of technique.

He came back ... as promised ... and brought me some globs of
gold. Globs. Formless masses of yellow. This is my sculpture.
This is what I do. Put a stone in this hole. And one in that
hole. As to the stones? Don't ask.

Take a round diamond with a chip in it ... a ten pointer ...
polish the chip flat so the stone is now a half-round with one ]
straight edge. He had tons of these. All colors. He bought broken
goods for a song. Polished the chips out. Shapes mattered not a
whit. However they turned out ... that was how they turned out. He
presented these to his elite clientele. Custom cuts. I make these
to custom fit the sculptures I make. Each item is an original. I am
an aahtist.

Nick it in lad. Make it tight. Don't worry about how it looks.
Zip zip. Job done. He looked at it ... told me I was brilliant
.... paid me ... and left.

He was around for about six months and then gone forever. Never heard
from him again. Went to the Met to see his show. All society was there
.... or so I thought. Society ... and one lone Benjamin Mark ...
diamond setter to the elite. This is my setter. This is Benjamin. What
a talent. What a find. Benjamin ... this is Mrs. Von
Haughtiness-up-the ass. How do you do. How do You do? Ta-dummm! Or
should I say ... Ta-dumb!

Only later did I find what his sculpting technique was. I pass it on
to those of you with or without talent--makes no difference--who
want to create original masterpieces ... all one of a kind ... to pass
on to an ever-waiting gullible world. This--I would guess--will only
work with the super wealthy ... who must surely always be on the prowl
for originality. Of course ... you will need a touch of panache. For
those of you who have that trait ... you will soar to the
stratosphere.

Here's how it's done. Take a kettle of cold water. Place it on the
floor near a melting furnace. Take some gold. Melt it in a crucible.
When it's nice and liquidy ... hold said crucible a few feet over
water and pour slowly. That's it. End of story. Take the resultant
globs out of water ... buff very lightly ... we do not want this to
look too finished ... stick some ****-poorly re-cut stones in
there--diamonds only mes amis--and put a post on back
if it's earrings ... a loop for a pendant ... etc. Your cost? I would
guess about fifty smackeroos or so. Your sell price? Minimum ... one
thousand bucks. Hey. It's aaht.

So I suppose you want to see a piece of jewelry that's reminiscent of
my man Quixote's work. Yes?

For those of you who are new to this thing called
Tidbits...may I direct you to my home page at www.tyler-adam.com where
you will scroll down the left side menu till you get to the area that
says Tidbits Graphics ... and then click on the link that says: Blob
.... in order to view a creation that defies description.

And there ya have it.
That's it for this week folks.
Catch you all next week.
Benjamin Mark

All issues of Tidbits are copyrighted and available from our
home page. All rights reserved.

TIDBITS 12/12/04 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 0 December 11th 04 11:29 PM
TIDBITS 12/12/04 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 December 11th 04 09:52 PM
TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Marketplace 0 October 24th 04 09:28 PM
TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 October 24th 04 09:27 PM
TIDBITS 07/13/03 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 July 13th 03 11:00 PM