well my sm is back, but it's not fixed. sigh

Old October 20th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

Default well my sm is back, but it's not fixed. sigh

I know you were all still holding your breath to see if my babylock
quest is working after going to the factory and getting 'fixed'.
s'not. Since I proved at the shop that it wasn't working with free
motion quilting, metallic thread - I suppose that's all they
adjusted. I machine quilted, feed dogs up, for hours on Friday
without problems, but on day 2 of sewing with it, I switched to free
motion on a regular quilt sandwich, no fusing, not extra thick spots,
using a beautiful hand dyed quilting thread - and it skipped 3 out of
every 4 stitches. sigh. cry. sigh some more. changed bobbin
thread. changed needle twice. changed upper thread tension. changed
my speed. slow doesn't work. fast did - until the top thread broke
after about 35 seconds.

Im going to try and get a contact number or email for the fixit person
who has handled my machine at babylock and talk to her personally.

Musicmaker, with a half completed quilt sitting beside me.
Old October 20th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I wonder. What happens if you attempt free motion with a different thread?
(Not that it will solve your problem - but - the problem may be the thread.)
Also. What happens if you run a fine bead of silicone on the spool of
'beautiful hand dyed' thread? Ricky Tims says that's what he does and that
he silicones his thread frequently. Polly

Old October 20th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
oldhag[_2_]

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

Baby Lock‎ -
1760 Gilsinn Ln, Fenton, MO, United States - (636) 349-2333‎
Attention President: Mr. Steven J. Jeffery

Time to write to the President and get some answers as to why your
machine will not work properly. You have fooled around too much with
this machine. Quilting is supposed to be FUN!! Your machine is under
warranty and should be working. When you write to the President be
polite and tell him exactly what you want Babylock to do with your
machine.Include all relavent documentation on what has been done to date.
You have been more than patient with their product, put the ball back in
their court and see if they will actually deliver a quality product.
We let companies off the hook way to often.
I feel for your frustration. i have been there with another company. But
I persisted and got satisfaction.
HTH
Donna inNWONtario
email me further if you wish any help on this problem just remove the
extra t on net.
Old October 20th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Oh no! So frustrating!
Since it seems to sew OK when you aren't in free motion, I wonder what
sort of foot you use for FM? Maybe it's the foot that needs fixing?
Roberta in D

Old October 20th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Maybe she can't be polite and tell him this too!
Roberta in D, thinking what I'd like him to do with his wretched
machine

(clipped)When you write to the President be

Old October 20th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Musicmaker wrote:
[...]

Not good enough, is it? Yup, stamp on the directors toes a bit. If
they don't sort it right away, contact the Trading Standards folk in
your area. I've found ours here in the UK really helpful.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 20th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
Musicmaker wrote:

[...]

Oh, Musicmaker, you must be *so* disappointed after waiting so long!
I hope you can get this sorted out soon.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old October 20th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Musicmaker wrote:
I know you were all still holding your breath to see if my babylock
quest is working after going to the factory and getting 'fixed'.
s'not. Since I proved at the shop that it wasn't working with free
motion quilting, metallic thread - I suppose that's all they
adjusted. I machine quilted, feed dogs up, for hours on Friday
without problems, but on day 2 of sewing with it, I switched to free
motion on a regular quilt sandwich, no fusing, not extra thick spots,
using a beautiful hand dyed quilting thread - and it skipped 3 out of
every 4 stitches. sigh. cry. sigh some more. changed bobbin
thread. changed needle twice. changed upper thread tension. changed
my speed. slow doesn't work. fast did - until the top thread broke
after about 35 seconds.

Given this is exactly what happened with my machine, I wasn't expecting
the fix to hold, they were telling me it was timing and a slight burr on
some part of the bobbin mechanism, first time it came home it did do a
bit of good stitching, but not long, 2nd time it came home it was
obviously bad right from the start, I still don't really know what was
wrong, but you could hear bad stuff happening it obviously didn't sound
right. Thankfully at that point they just handed me a new machine and
I've done loads of quilting with plenty of different threads and if it's
skips or breaks it's always been a needle issue. My theory is if there's
something not right about things down below right from the start, then
it's a fundamental fault and not something that's going to be solved
easily, after all, which such a new machine their shouldn't be much wear
and tear.

Cheers
Anne
Old October 20th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Roberta wrote:
Oh no! So frustrating!
Since it seems to sew OK when you aren't in free motion, I wonder what
sort of foot you use for FM? Maybe it's the foot that needs fixing?

Roberta, I had the exact problems Musicmaker is having with my machine,
it is a Brother QC1000. I was tearing my hair out, but I had an easy
ride in terms of the shop I bought it from organising a replacement as
soon as they had had it in to their workshop twice.

I know each machine is different and you have to get to know the new
machine and the best foot won't be the same on different brands, but
from what I'm reading, musicmaker has tried the machine in the store and
is familiar with fm quilting on other machines and is confident that
it's the machine not her. Skipped stiches happen if things are set up
wrong, but even then it's not usually 3 out of 4, it's either all, say
the bobbin is in wrong or something or occasional because you went too
fast of took a stitch in a challenging location. Or it's something that
increases in number as you sew because the needle is getting blunt.

Everything musicmaker says is sounding very familiar, there might be a
better foot out there and I did find that once I got the replacement
machine, that the problem was obviously gone, but it was still inclined
to skip at seams - I had a C shaped metal hopping foot and I bought the
clear plastic O instead, but there was a change that made it clear that
it was a fine tuning issue rather than a this is just not working issue!

Cheers
Anne
Old October 21st 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

How frustrating! I'm anxious to see if you get some results. Sending
gentle hugs and sympathy.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

[...]

OT--fixed OE now nzlstar*[_2_] Quilting 2 April 5th 08 06:05 AM
OT-puter fixed nzlstar Quilting 4 March 6th 05 02:54 AM
I'm fixed! Susanne Quilting 10 October 8th 03 05:59 PM
Fixed!!! was Frustration!!!! MerryStahel Quilting 14 October 2nd 03 06:13 PM