Reading RCTQ after Comcast kills Giganews....

Old October 2nd 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_3_]

Default Reading RCTQ after Comcast kills Giganews....

I've found a free newsreader... that seems okay so far...

albasani.net

I had to email them to request an account. They responded quickly and the
set up in Outlook Express was quite easy.
Directions he http://albasani.net/wiki/Outlook_Express_(English)

So any of you other Comcast readers out there... who don't want to pay $8 -
$13 a month to continue with Giganews... this might be worth trying for
free!

Kate in MI

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kathryn Groves

Old October 2nd 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Did Comcast notify you that they are going to do this? I haven't heard from
them but wouldn't be at all surprised if they did it without any warning to
their customers! Guess I'll be looking for a new way to read, too.

--
Donna in NE La.

Old October 2nd 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_3_]

It's all over the web. No new customers going on... and those previous
customers lose Giganews on Oct. 25.

Just google for Comcast... Newsgroups and Giganews.... you'll learn more
than you want to know! LOL

Kate in MI

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kathryn Groves

Old October 2nd 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

I just received the Comcast email and was going to see if any others on the
group were in the same boat. Thanks for the info.

AliceW in NJ

Old October 2nd 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_3_]

I'm reading and posting from albasani.net -- through Outlook Express...
seems to be working fine! And it's free!

--
Kate in MI

. ..

Old October 3rd 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

I just received my username and password! Thanks, Kate!

--
AliceW in NJ

"Thee End" as said by my 2.5 year old
sweet Grand daughter when she decides the
conversation is over.

"Kate G." wrote in message
: I'm reading and posting from albasani.net -- through Outlook Express...
: seems to be working fine! And it's free!
:
:
:
: --
: Kate in MI
: http://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves
:
:
: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
: "AliceW" wrote in message
: . ..
: I just received the Comcast email and was going to see if any others on
the
: group were in the same boat. Thanks for the info.
:
: AliceW in NJ
:
:
:
: "Kate G." wrote in message
: ...
: I've found a free newsreader... that seems okay so far...
:
: albasani.net
:
: I had to email them to request an account. They responded quickly and
: the set up in Outlook Express was quite easy.
: Directions he http://albasani.net/wiki/Outlook_Express_(English)
:
: So any of you other Comcast readers out there... who don't want to pay
: $8 - $13 a month to continue with Giganews... this might be worth
trying
: for free!
:
: Kate in MI
:
: --
:
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: Kathryn Groves
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Old October 3rd 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Kate G. wrote:
I've found a free newsreader... that seems okay so far...

Doesn't comcast have their own newserver? newsgroups.comcast.net,
username is your full comcast email and password is the same password as
everything else.

Cheers
Anne
Old October 3rd 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_4_]

oops, I should have checked first, I didn't realise that comcasts
newserver was powered by giganews, so I thought it was a disconnected
service they had blocked access too, which sometimes has to be done for
spam and security reasons, but now I found out what it really means, I'm
really peeved, newsgroup access used to be a default when you paid an
ISP for internet service, it was one of the services!

Anne
Old October 3rd 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

I got the e-mail after reading this thread. Not sure what I'll do. Thought I
might try motzarella.

--
Donna in NE La.
. ..