Need help with snake eyelashes! ;-)

Old September 26th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default Need help with snake eyelashes! ;-)

I am making a *quilted* (ON topic! LOL) stuffed snake for my darling
granddaughter for her birthday. It will be about 6 ft. long and in the
purples and pinks she loves. I had another stuffed snake in more realistic
colors (browns) that I made and gave to her little brother- and Ana
announced she wanted one in 'her' colors. The original snake had googly
eyes and I put some long false eyelashes on it just to be silly and to make
sure it didn't look threatening for the little ones.

Now the problem- I want outrageous, thick, flirty eyelashes on this purple
and pink snake. I am thinking to use the Heat and Bond Ultra with solid
black fabric on both sides and cut spike-y lashes into a strip of the fused
fabric, but I need them to curl upwards- not lay there flat. And the curl
needs to be permanent. I do NOT want to buy eyelashes- I am determined to
make them from fabric. Also, I think maybe the eyes will be fabric- rather
than the plastic googly eyes- with a swath of bright blue 'eyeshadow' on
the lids and appliquéd into place and the eyelashes glued on top of the blue
shadowed lids. (Do snakes *have* eyelids???)

So, how do I make the eyelashes to keep the curl in the fabric on Ana's
*quilted* snake? ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 26th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Oh yes you can make lovely curled eyelashes with Heat and Bond Ultra! And
they should be permanent. This is how Joan Shay makes her 3-D flowers.
The gist of it is that after you have your fabric fused on both sides, heat
up the snipped eyelashes and then wrap around a pencil (or whatever you want
the size of the curl to be) and hold until cooled. Just be careful not to
burn your fingers!!!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 26th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

The one problem with this method is then sewing the applibond (eyelashes) to
the snake. Joan sells a VERY sharp hand sewing needle for applying the
appliques. I dont' know if even a heavy duty leather sewing machine needle
would work....there is a lot of glue between those layers. You need a
needle that cuts rather then pierces. (I stubbornly broke several machine
needles before relenting). But I DO know you can make great curled
eyelashes with this method!! Good luck!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 26th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

[...]

I don't know how to permanently curl fabric, but I *do* know it can be done
with yarn.

I grabbed these directions quick using Google,
http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/cu...lhair_sfxw.htm
but there are probably other 'recipes' out there. You can try using what
they call 'eyelash' yarn, which can be pretty out there.

"You can also use yarn to make curly hair for a doll. In order to do this,
the first step is to wrap the yarn you want to use around a round metal
shish kabob skewer, a metal spoon or fork. If you don't have a metal utensil
handy, you can fashion a crude one out of balled - up aluminum foil. Again,
to make small curls, you will need to use a thin metal object. To make
larger, softer curls, you will need a large metal object.

The second step is to spray the yarn with a mixture of two parts of hair
spray and one part of tap water. Then, place the wrapped yarn on a small
cookie sheet in an oven at two hundred and fifty degrees Fahrenheit. Heat
the yarn for ten minutes, and then remove the cookie sheet.

The third step is to carefully slide the yarn off of the metal utensil.
Then, insert the yarn hair onto the doll's head by using a hot glue gun. Use
a pair of sharp scissors to trim the curly doll hair, and arrange it however
you choose. "

Old September 26th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Ah, Kathyl, that's exactly the advice I needed. I was pretty sure I could
curl them, but not how long it would last. I'll use permanent fabric glue
to fix them in place, so needles won't be a problem

Thanks a bunch!

Leslie- Snake Maker & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 26th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Thanks, Lisa, for looking up this info. I think I'll take Kathyl's advice
with the H&B Ultra and then use this hairspray formula and method to
re-enforce the curl. It should work! Yay!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 26th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

The needles that Joan recommends for this are leather needles. They
actually cut the fused fabric. Leather needles come in various sizes and
she uses a fairly small one for this. G You can get leather needles in
both machine and hand sewing versions.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old September 26th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Heck. I was cooking and cleaning the kitchen and missed all the fun. All I
can add is the long metal tube that's great for curling yard is aluminum
knitting needles. You don't put them on a cookie sheet but figure out a way
to place them on the oven's racks. There's grand spaghetti and garlic bread
all ready. Anyone hungry? Polly

Old September 26th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

You probably don't need the hairspray with the HB method. Joan professes
that she washes her floral quilts that have the curled leaves and they come
out fine. She doesn't take any real caution when she packs her class and
lecture samples either. Just shakes them out. You just have to have a
REALLY good bond...lots of heat....and hold the curl till cool.

Old September 26th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Pati is right on. These needles cut through the fabric. IIRC they are
almost a triangular shaft. Using them on the UHB certainly tests out a
thimble!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

KJ wrote:
The one problem with this method is then sewing the applibond (eyelashes)
to the snake. Joan sells a VERY sharp hand sewing needle for applying
the appliques. I dont' know if even a heavy duty leather sewing machine
needle would work....there is a lot of glue between those layers. You
need a needle that cuts rather then pierces. (I stubbornly broke several
machine needles before relenting). But I DO know you can make great
curled eyelashes with this method!! Good luck!

Ping: Snake Oil Recipients Frosty Jewelry 15 March 10th 07 03:29 AM
Brown's Snake Oil Frosty Jewelry 7 March 6th 07 04:02 AM
Brown's Snake Oil Frosty Jewelry 5 February 22nd 07 07:39 AM
AD: Snake Skin Cindy Schoepp Beads 5 February 15th 06 11:07 PM