tiny pincushion instructions

Old September 24th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Default tiny pincushion instructions

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/945...ty-pincushions

google is having a 'big burp' day so I hope this shows up soon!
jennellh
Old September 25th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa

Thanks Jennellh,
That website is so good - I have selected a number of projects to make for
Christmas and birthday gifts.
Di
On the beautiful Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia.

Old September 25th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

That is just so cute! I'm a bit reluctant to play with 'cute' very much
when it comes to things that take a lot of time and are pretty much
worthless . . . but the tiny pincushion is a keeper. Without having to grow
my own sheep, what could I buy to stuff the pincushions? I'm remembering
that they should be stuffed with wool. Maybe a hank of wool yarn? Chopped
up old wool garment? Polly

Old September 25th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

She says to use polyfill to stuff it- batting scraps would work, too. And
cotton fabric would work instead of felt- maybe add a fusible interfacing to
give it a bit of thickness to cover the ridges on the soda bottle cap and
iron the raw edges under. It could easily be adapted to machine work- using
permanent fabric glue or a hot glue gun instead of the handstitching. Glued
on beads or jewels would make nice trim or glue on some rik-rak or other
trims. Fancy stitches on the sm could go around the base and across the top
before it's gathered and stuffed. There are endless possibilities here!

Leslie- who avoids hand sewing whenever possible & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 25th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Polly, almost anything will work in them. I used plain ol' polyester
fiberfill when I made 60+ of these, but simpler ones. G Some one else
helped do the running stitch around the circles of fabric (we just used
cotton fabric). Stuffed with polyfill and then glued into the bottle
cap. I had plain white caps and used red or green holiday fabric for the
circles. Didn't bother with covering the cap, but I was making these for
table favors for a quilt group. G If you want a finger pin cushion,
before you do the cushion part, poke a hole, or 2 in the bottle cap. A
heated nail or such will work fine, but be careful. Poke from the
outside in so the outer surface stays smooth. The put a loop of elastic
through the hole/s. Knot the elastic, and I would add a drop of good
fabric glue to hold it. G Then add the "cushion".
If you want a pin cushion to set into a spool of thread or such: make
the hole in the cap big enough for an old golf tee to fit through. Glue
in place, add cushion.
You can also use ribbon or lace to put around the cap, either forming a
bit of a ruffle around the cushion part, or to cover the cap. But you
can glue it in place too. VBG
Wool, or wool felt will help keep pins "oiled" because of the lanolin in
the wool.

Pati, in Phx

Old September 25th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

I nominate YOU to make a sample for every member of rctq!! )
jennellh

"jennellh" wrote in message
http://www.craftstylish.com/item/945...ty-pincushions

google is having a 'big burp' day so I hope this shows up soon!
jennellh- Hide quoted text -

Old September 25th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Good time to use giant cotton balls? Wasn't it you who told the story
of the lady in the drug store who wanted cotton balls for quilt
batting? jennellh

Old September 25th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

I haven't had time to explore the website completely - it was an ad
that was attached to the "talk about" quilting website - I read the
newsgroup off that page whenever google is having a hissy fit. I'm
glad that it is working out for you, jennellh.

Old September 25th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Well, yes and no. I told the story but it was our Kate T over on the other
side of Mississippi who actually saw the lady in WalMart buy out all of
their cotton balls in the beauty section of the store and then go clear the
shelves in the pharmacy so she could make a batting.
But...there's this. I know we *could* stuff the little pincushions with
shredded income tax records but I'm sort of remembering that wool is best.
Have you ever removed a pin from a cushion that was dull, rusty, pretty much
useless? If we're going to make pincushions, we might as well figure out
what we have on hand that would be best for their innards. Polly

"jennellh" wroteGood time to use giant cotton balls? Wasn't it you who
told the story
of the lady in the drug store who wanted cotton balls for quilt
batting? jennellh

On Sep 24, 8:59 pm, "Polly Esther" wrote That is just so cute! I'm a bit

Old September 25th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Oh, I am soooooooo honored to be considered for the nomination. But I'm
booked up with my Moon Over The Mountain. It's a special one, so I have to
keep plugging away at it. But I am happy to pass the honor on to you.....
LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.