Looking for African mud cloth

Old September 13th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

Default Looking for African mud cloth

Does anyone have a link to a site that sells the real thing?
I have a friend who wants some placemats made in this fabric. I remember
seeing a vendor at Houston and one at Lancaster who sold African fabrics,
but can't remember their names!

--
Susan
http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston

Old September 13th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ann

I found this from a google search
http://www.textileconnection.net/index.php?cid=358

Ann

Old September 13th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michele in NYC[_2_]

Susan,
Here are some of my favorite African Fabric vendors.....

www.french-nc.com
www.fabritique.com
www.culturedexpressions.com (Lisa Shepard's site)
http://www.homelandauthentics.com
http://www.africanandsilkfabrics.com

There are more if you want them.

I've bought from them all, either online or at shows.
Prices vary, so your friend needs to do her homework.
All, though, are solid vendors.

NAYY.

-Michele in NYC

Old September 13th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Here's another link to African fabrics. I have a couple of mud cloth pieces
I bought from them at PIQF a couple of years ago. NAYY
http://uniquespool.com/cgi-bin/ustor...frican.html%20

Pauline
Northern California

Old September 13th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

My credit cards whimper in fear when I go by her booth... ;-)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply

Old September 13th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Not sure, but the vendor I saw at Houston selling African fabric was not
selling mud cloth. G It is not easy to find or inexpensive when you
do find it. I have some that is like mud cloth, but is regular width.
But same type of weave, prints and colors.
The "real" mud cloth I have seen is very narrow, about 5" wide, sewn
together along long edges to make wider fabric.
I just did a google search for "African mud cloth" and came up with
several sites. The Unique Spool has some repro mud cloth prints, and
www.wilsdom.com has a sale on real mud cloth..... $65 (regular $85) for
2 yards at 36" wide. G

Good luck finding it.

Pati, in Phx

Old September 14th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

What a beautiful site Ann!

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old September 14th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

A friend saw some placemats made with mud cloth and thought they were great.
She asked me to make her some, but didn't realize what the fabric was - she
just liked the colour and graphic designs. I think we have settled on using
a batik as substitute for the mud cloth - much more durable and affordable
for placemats!
Lots of fun browsing, just the same.....

Old September 16th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Real mud cloth is very scratchy. I have a great piece that I use in my
lectures. An African-American friend admired it often until I made a
small hemmed piece for her to take home one holiday. I admit to
coveting ethnic dresses I see walking down the street. Of course these
aren't the mud cloth but rather the vibrant prints made in Africa.
Fortunately we have an African fabric importer in the Chicago area who
sells at several shows a year. If you want a better bargain look for
an ethnic fair where fabric is sold for clothes rather than quilts.
Selection and price is much better.

Susan

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:56:41 -0400, "Susan Torrens"
wrote:

A friend saw some placemats made with mud cloth and thought they were great.
She asked me to make her some, but didn't realize what the fabric was - she
just liked the colour and graphic designs. I think we have settled on using
a batik as substitute for the mud cloth - much more durable and affordable
for placemats!
Lots of fun browsing, just the same.....

use up your cloth leftover pieces and make Cloth Bags [email protected] Needlework 21 January 5th 08 05:30 AM
? African Annie [email protected] Quilting 7 July 3rd 06 11:02 AM
? African Annie YvetteMichele Quilting 6 July 2nd 05 02:03 PM
African beads and african antiques art nordend Beads 0 December 17th 04 07:34 AM
African embroidery Prue Needlework 2 August 31st 04 11:52 PM