SILK CURTAINS

Old December 10th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
braygirl

Default SILK CURTAINS

Despite being a curtainmaker for a long time, I recently had trouble
sewing on 3" pencil pleat heading tape to pure silk embroidered fabric
which was also blanket thermal lined. The effect on the right side was
that the material was pulling to the one side, along the 3" heading,
despite pressing and flattening. Has anyone any ideas on how to stop
this happening, please?

Old December 27th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kristen Ryan

If you are still looking for an answer, I have a few ideas: First, I would
pin the tape closely so the fabric does not move underneath. The thickness
of your interlining is most likely affecting your ability to keep all the
layers flat and even while you are sewing. I have a small drapery business
and have been asked quite often to use "bump" interlining on many silks. I
actually just purchased a walking foot machine in order to deal with issues
like this. The machine feeds evenly top and bottom so nothing shifts as you
sew. It is an expense if you aren't looking to purchase any new equipment.
The only other solution would be a neat and tight hand-stitch -- that is
very time consuming, but if the fabric was costly can be well worth the
effort. Take care -- Kristen

ups.com...