Mixing cotton/polyester with all cotton??? and quilting on fleece

Old March 12th 05, 04:07 AM
Michelle in NJ

Default Mixing cotton/polyester with all cotton??? and quilting on fleece

Hi all..

Okay so i'm starting to put together a hug quilt and i found a beautiful
fabric that i would like to use for the sashing, but it's poly/cotton
blend.. and most of the blocks are all cotton... do you think it's okay to
use? should i wash it first? i'm afraid

Also.. i'd like to use fleece for the backing but i'm not sure how fleece
responds to quilting(stipling)... anyone have any experience with using
fleece as the backing?
--
Michelle in NJ
http://michelle.absolutad.com/quilts/

Old March 12th 05, 08:20 AM
Patti

Hullo Michelle
I have only ever used poly/cotton in with the cotton for small pieces
within the design. Same reason - perfect colour/pattern ... I have
always found that it never lies completely flat ie there are little
puckers where the stitches are - these do come out with pressing, but
return! I have used poly/cotton for backing without a problem (single
piece of sheeting - so, no seams).
But, sashing? with stitching along both sides for such a length? It
might be all right; it might depend on the ratio of poly to cotton?
My suggestion would be to cut two strips that you can spare - one of the
p/c and one of cotton - sew them together, press as you would normally
and see what happens.
Sorry, don't know about fleece.
..
In article , Michelle in NJ
writes
Hi all..

Okay so i'm starting to put together a hug quilt and i found a beautiful
fabric that i would like to use for the sashing, but it's poly/cotton
blend.. and most of the blocks are all cotton... do you think it's okay to
use? should i wash it first? i'm afraid

Also.. i'd like to use fleece for the backing but i'm not sure how fleece
responds to quilting(stipling)... anyone have any experience with using
fleece as the backing?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 12th 05, 11:17 AM
Estelle Gallagher

I am not keen on combining the 2 PC/Cotton either for the reason the others
have given,
but I have just backed a hug quilt for SIL with fleece,spray basted and
hand quilted and MQ mixed. It was easy and had a nice huggy feel!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old March 12th 05, 01:08 PM
Susan Laity Price

I agree with both of the responses so far. When sewing cotton to
Poly/cotton you have little lines that don't come out. You have to
remember the reason poly/cotton is popular in clothing is because you
don't have to iron it. I have seen several quilts backed with fleece
without a batting and they are great. One friend with a long arm
layers two pieces of fleece together and quilts them for baby
"quilts". The quilt police will say that these non-batting quilts are
not really a quilt since they only have two layers but the person
using the quilt will not mind as they cuddle into the soft backing.

Susan

Old March 12th 05, 04:55 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

QUILTING POLICE!!!! drat them! Traditional Yo-yo quilts don't have batting
between the layers - crazy quilts don't have batting between the layers - A
quilt is a cover for the bed. Doesn't matter how many layers. It's done
however you want to do it.... I have made some darling "quilts" with faux
fur, polar fleece and what ever. I found the fleece very easy to machine
and hand quilt. They are light weight, durable and very snuggly. They wash
& dry easily & quickly.

--
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~

Old March 12th 05, 05:41 PM
Donna A

We, quite often, get two layer quilts for Project Linus - one layer flannel,
the other layer fleece. Talk about nice and cuddly! They're great.
--
Donna Aten, Coordinator
Project Linus - Boise/SW Idaho Chapter

newsaFYd.8290$N15.2287@okepread06...

Old March 12th 05, 05:53 PM
Marcella Peek

My son was given a quilt that is two layers of fleece bound at the edges
and tied. It is very snuggly. I am quite jealous.

marcella

Old March 12th 05, 06:48 PM
Listpig

The one issue I've not seen mentioned is that they shrink differently. So
if you're going to do it, make sure both fabrics are pre-washed first so
that you get that out of the way before you cut.

--pig

Old March 13th 05, 01:22 AM
Michelle in NJ

My problem with that is that i wanted to use it as sashing for the hug
blocks so i dont know if they are washed or not and i can't wash them
now...

Michelle

Old March 17th 05, 07:41 PM
Pati Cook

I wouldn't stipple quilt the fleece. It can stretch because it is a
knit fabric. But I have used it on a couple of quilts and love it. I
didn't use batting, just layered the top and the fleece, have to admit
that I spray basted. Then did some gently curving lines and it worked
wonderfully. Since there was no batting, there was no need to do a lot
of quilting. I my opinion, doing much quilting would cancel out a lot
of the softness of the fleece. Try a scrap with a lot of stitching on
it and see what happens.

As for the mix of the two types of fabrics. It depends on the
percentage of cotton in the blend. Remember that it will not press as
flat, so you will want to press toward the poly blend for a flatter
seam. Also the colorfastness may be different. (To avoid the puckers
in the seam, use "taut" sewing, hold the fabric layers firmly together,
almost stretching them, both in front and in back of the needle. Loosen
the tension very slightly, and use a slightly larger, sharp needle. Or
use a very fine thread with a smaller sharp needle. Check a sample to
see which your fabrics want. )

good luck with it,
Pati, in Phx