Need help with snake eyelashes! ;-)

Old September 26th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

Default Need help with snake eyelashes! ;-)

I am ready for spaghetti and bread!!!

Just finished a geranium with Joan Shay's method. Found out a forceps
was safer for curling. No fingers near the heat.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay

ri, 26 Sep 2008 11:08:08 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Heck. I was cooking and cleaning the kitchen and missed all the fun. All I
can add is the long metal tube that's great for curling yard is aluminum
knitting needles. You don't put them on a cookie sheet but figure out a way
to place them on the oven's racks. There's grand spaghetti and garlic bread
all ready. Anyone hungry? Polly

"L" wrote in message
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
I am making a *quilted* (ON topic! LOL) stuffed snake for my darling
granddaughter for her birthday. It will be about 6 ft. long and in the
purples and pinks she loves. I had another stuffed snake in more
realistic colors (browns) that I made and gave to her little brother- and
Ana announced she wanted one in 'her' colors. The original snake had
googly eyes and I put some long false eyelashes on it just to be silly and
to make sure it didn't look threatening for the little ones.

Now the problem- I want outrageous, thick, flirty eyelashes on this
purple and pink snake. I am thinking to use the Heat and Bond Ultra with
solid black fabric on both sides and cut spike-y lashes into a strip of
the fused fabric, but I need them to curl upwards- not lay there flat.
And the curl needs to be permanent. I do NOT want to buy eyelashes- I am
determined to make them from fabric. Also, I think maybe the eyes will
be fabric- rather than the plastic googly eyes- with a swath of bright
blue 'eyeshadow' on the lids and appliquéd into place and the eyelashes
glued on top of the blue shadowed lids. (Do snakes *have* eyelids???)

So, how do I make the eyelashes to keep the curl in the fabric on Ana's
*quilted* snake? ;-)

I don't know how to permanently curl fabric, but I *do* know it can be
done with yarn.

I grabbed these directions quick using Google,
http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/cu...lhair_sfxw.htm
but there are probably other 'recipes' out there. You can try using what
they call 'eyelash' yarn, which can be pretty out there.

"You can also use yarn to make curly hair for a doll. In order to do this,
the first step is to wrap the yarn you want to use around a round metal
shish kabob skewer, a metal spoon or fork. If you don't have a metal
utensil handy, you can fashion a crude one out of balled - up aluminum
foil. Again, to make small curls, you will need to use a thin metal
object. To make larger, softer curls, you will need a large metal object.

The second step is to spray the yarn with a mixture of two parts of hair
spray and one part of tap water. Then, place the wrapped yarn on a small
cookie sheet in an oven at two hundred and fifty degrees Fahrenheit. Heat
the yarn for ten minutes, and then remove the cookie sheet.

The third step is to carefully slide the yarn off of the metal utensil.
Then, insert the yarn hair onto the doll's head by using a hot glue gun.
Use a pair of sharp scissors to trim the curly doll hair, and arrange it
however you choose. "

Old September 26th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Good idea!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 26th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article Om7Dk.305454$TT4.22711@attbi_s22,
"KJ" wrote:

The one problem with this method is then sewing the applibond (eyelashes) to
the snake. Joan sells a VERY sharp hand sewing needle for applying the
appliques. I dont' know if even a heavy duty leather sewing machine needle
would work....there is a lot of glue between those layers. You need a
needle that cuts rather then pierces. (I stubbornly broke several machine
needles before relenting). But I DO know you can make great curled
eyelashes with this method!! Good luck!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Joan's very sharp hand sewing needle is actually a leather needle, so I
suspect a machine needle made specially for sewing leather would
probably be okay.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 26th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article , "Pati C."
wrote:

The needles that Joan recommends for this are leather needles. They
actually cut the fused fabric. Leather needles come in various sizes and
she uses a fairly small one for this. G You can get leather needles in
both machine and hand sewing versions.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Oops! I should have read the rest of the thread before I answered. :S

Old September 26th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Snakes do not have eyelids, however you are the artist and can do anything
you want. Since you want to put eyeshadow on the snake eyelids could
probably work.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

[...]

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 26th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Er, ummm..... is anyone sure snakes have eyelashes? Let's not let
technicalities get in the way of fun. Jan's right, you are the artist.
Polly

. ..

Old September 27th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I just finished gluing the eyelashes on. I'll take pics as soon as the glue
dries. It turned out cute- but it's HUGE! Ana is turning 5 y.o. and is
tall and slender. This snake may be nearly as big around as darling Ana!
VBG

Leslie- doting granny & The Furbabies in MO.

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Er, ummm..... is anyone sure snakes have eyelashes? Let's not let
technicalities get in the way of fun. Jan's right, you are the artist.
Polly

. ..

Old September 27th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I could have checked a week or so ago if I hadn't been so frazzled. My
mother and I were going out to the mall. I stepped out into the garage and
hit the button to open the garage door. I noticed that right in the bottom
corner, there was something stuck that was going up with the door. It
looked like a rope, or vine of some sort. We had been having a lot of rain
and wind, so I thought maybe it was a branch. As I walked over to check, it
moved! It was TWO snakes that rolled up with the door and were up in the
wheels and track of the door....moving! EEEWWWW! I walked around the back
of my car and there was another one under the back of my car!!!! EEEWWWW!
I got a broom to sweep the one on the floor out of the garage, but he was a
fast little sucker and went further back into the garage to get behind some
stuff. As I went to chase him, I realized I was now UNDER the two up in the
track! YUKKKKKKKK!
These were just average sized garter/garden snakes and I usually don't
freak out when I see them. (One has lived beside the garage for years.)
BUT THREE!!????
I didn't want to put the door down...I was afraid I would then have all
three wandering around the garage. The garbage man was coming up the other
side of the street, so I flagged him down to see if he could help me. Even
longer story shorter......we eventually got them out of the garage, picked
up and carried down into the woods in my backyard. I still check the door
when I hit the button to open it!!!!! I'm not sure if the one I was doing
battle with in the driveway had long lashes or not. The little thing was
quite ticked off at me and was coiled up, tongue wagging and trying to
strike. It was no bigger than the width of my little finger. Rather funny
actually.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Er, ummm..... is anyone sure snakes have eyelashes? Let's not let
technicalities get in the way of fun. Jan's right, you are the artist.
Polly

. ..

Old September 27th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Do you remember having odd homemade animals that we kept on top of our beds?
I remember my grandma and aunts making octopus (octopi?) that were made of
braided yarn for the legs. Every morning after making the bed, we would
then put our octopus on and spread out the legs. Sheesh. I think there
were some snake patterns in that same time period that were for bed
decorations. Odd.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
I just finished gluing the eyelashes on. I'll take pics as soon as the
glue dries. It turned out cute- but it's HUGE! Ana is turning 5 y.o. and
is tall and slender. This snake may be nearly as big around as darling
Ana! VBG

Leslie- doting granny & The Furbabies in MO.

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Er, ummm..... is anyone sure snakes have eyelashes? Let's not let
technicalities get in the way of fun. Jan's right, you are the artist.
Polly

. ..

Old September 27th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I made one of those octopuses, pusses, pis? for my considerably
younger cousin when she was three. It was a christmas present. The
thing was lavender with a big ole smile, big felt eyes, and a ribbon
on top, and she was just terrified of it.
She opened up the box and ran screaming to hide behind her mother.

Never did figure that one out.

NightMist

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:15:12 GMT, "KJ" wrote:

[...]

"Boca Jan" wrote in message
. ..
Snakes do not have eyelids, however you are the artist and can do
anything you want. Since you want to put eyeshadow on the snake eyelids
could probably work.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Ping: Snake Oil Recipients Frosty Jewelry 15 March 10th 07 03:29 AM
Brown's Snake Oil Frosty Jewelry 7 March 6th 07 04:02 AM
Brown's Snake Oil Frosty Jewelry 5 February 22nd 07 07:39 AM
AD: Snake Skin Cindy Schoepp Beads 5 February 15th 06 11:07 PM