Loops for pearl buttons?

Old December 30th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
sewing_girl

Default Loops for pearl buttons?

Hello all,

I am new to this group and have a problem you folks might be able to
help with. I am sewing a blouse that takes pearl buttons, but instead
of button holes I was hoping to use loops. The trouble is I can't find
any button loops to purchase. Should I plan to improvise my own? I
already know how I want to place them. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

sewing_girl

Old December 31st 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

sewing_girl wrote:
Hello all,

I am new to this group and have a problem you folks might
be able to help with. I am sewing a blouse that takes
pearl buttons, but instead of button holes I was hoping
to use loops. The trouble is I can't find any button
loops to purchase. Should I plan to improvise my own? I
already know how I want to place them. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

What color is the blouse?

You can make very fine bias tubing loops, or you could crochet
them. But it's also possible to purchase bridal loops pre-made:

http://www.laceheaven.com/bridalloop.html

http://www.sewtrue.com/Bridal1.html#Anchor-BTL123

And check at your local fabric store in the bridal department.

Beverly

Old December 31st 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

BEI Design wrote:
sewing_girl wrote:

Hello all,

I am new to this group and have a problem you folks might
be able to help with. I am sewing a blouse that takes
pearl buttons, but instead of button holes I was hoping
to use loops. The trouble is I can't find any button
loops to purchase. Should I plan to improvise my own? I
already know how I want to place them. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

What color is the blouse?

You can make very fine bias tubing loops, or you could crochet
them. But it's also possible to purchase bridal loops pre-made:

http://www.laceheaven.com/bridalloop.html

http://www.sewtrue.com/Bridal1.html#Anchor-BTL123

And check at your local fabric store in the bridal department.

Beverly

For some garments, rattail makes very nice button loops. It can be
sewin along the seam, looping out and back without cutting it until it
is sewn in place. Then once secured, it can be trimmed neatly. Some of
my sewing books have a nice illustration of this, but I haven't found
one on-line.

--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old December 31st 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Pogonip wrote:

BEI Design wrote:

sewing_girl wrote:

[...]

I also like hand worked buttonhole stitch loops.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 31st 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Pogonip wrote:
BEI Design wrote:
sewing_girl wrote:
[...]

I agree, and rattail is available in many colors:

http://www.satincord.com/?gclid=CPXD...FSV6YAodhj9CMQ

http://www.satincordandmore.com/home_page.html

But for a white blouse (if that's what OP is making), I think
bridal loops might work just fine.

Beverly

Old December 31st 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sally Holmes

BEI Design wrote:

You can make very fine bias tubing loops,

If you do so, you can run a length of fine elastic down the centre of
the tube. It gives the loops stretch so they fit over the buttons and
then pull in snugly.

Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"

Fed up of spam? Frightened of viruses? Use Mozilla's Thunderbird and
Firefox FREE!
http://www.mozilla.com
Old January 1st 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
sewing_girl

sewing_girl wrote:
Hello all,

I am new to this group and have a problem you folks might be able to
help with. I am sewing a blouse that takes pearl buttons, but instead
of button holes I was hoping to use loops. The trouble is I can't find
any button loops to purchase. Should I plan to improvise my own? I
already know how I want to place them. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

sewing_girl

Thanks so much for all the great ideas and links. Now maybe I can
finish my blouse!

sewing_girl

Old January 1st 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
sewing_girl

Sally Holmes wrote:
BEI Design wrote:

You can make very fine bias tubing loops,

If you do so, you can run a length of fine elastic down the centre of
the tube. It gives the loops stretch so they fit over the buttons and
then pull in snugly.

Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"

Fed up of spam? Frightened of viruses? Use Mozilla's Thunderbird and
Firefox FREE!
http://www.mozilla.com

BEI Design,

Happy to see the Firefox and Thunderbird links on your message. I went
to Firefox a couple of years ago from Explorer and will NEVER go back!

sewing_girl

Old January 2nd 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Nadyne Nelson

I bought cotton button looping and dyed it to match my garment. Just make
sure you get a button looping in a natural fiber as a synthetic won't take a
dye properly. It came out great and is a perfect match!

--
Nadyne Nelson

ps.com...