Has anyone ever worked with unprinted vintage patterns?

Old December 30th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kelly

Default Has anyone ever worked with unprinted vintage patterns?

I got a new sewing passion this Christmas. Vintage patterns. However,
I've never worked with the unprinted variety. Have any of you worked
with them? Do you have any tricks that might make it easier when I try
to sew with them?

I've already discovered that the sewing instructions are next to
useless. But the styles are so great, I just keep buying them.

Thanks,
Kelly

Old December 30th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Dear Kelly,

I used them when there were not any others. And several years ago, I
found a treasure trove of such patterns in a costume shop that was
being thoroughly cleaned for the first time in many, many years. I had
my students choose one and make it up for our fashion show, which had a
vintage design section this year. It was the highlight of the show.

Three holes in a triangle means this edge should go on a fold; two
large holes near the top center and bottom center of the pattern piece
means that they should be aligned along the straight grain of the
fabric.

I can't remember them, but if you'd tell me what symbols you don't
understand, I may be able to help you. It might help to find some
contemporary sewing books at your library or online. These patterns
were used from the late nineteenth century through the 1950s.

Teri

Old December 31st 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Joy Beeson

On 30 Dec 2006 11:44:13 -0800, wrote:

Three holes in a triangle means this edge should go on a fold; two
large holes near the top center and bottom center of the pattern piece
means that they should be aligned along the straight grain of the
fabric.

Double notches go on the back and single notches on the front.
This convention is still used with printed patterns, but mostly only
on sleeves.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing

Old December 31st 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
froggie lover

Kelly wrote:
I got a new sewing passion this Christmas. Vintage patterns. However,
I've never worked with the unprinted variety. Have any of you worked
with them? Do you have any tricks that might make it easier when I try
to sew with them?

I've already discovered that the sewing instructions are next to
useless. But the styles are so great, I just keep buying them.

Thanks,
Kelly

Hi ,
I have many vintage patterns and i really enjoy using them. One thing
i highly recommend is to make a copy out a light interfacing so you
preserve the fragile patterns.Also they are really easy once you get
the hang of them.A strategy that could be helpful is to buy an old
sewing manual from the 40's 30;s etc and use it to get the feel of the
era's sewing technique. the small holes are usually tailor tacks.
Also if you ever want to trace and trade designs!? I would love to
find some people who could be interested in that .I had a friend trace
a pattern for me from the 20's and it came out wonderfully.
I have a pattern collection going back to 1907
happy sewing
Stephanee

Old December 31st 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

froggie lover wrote:

Hi ,
I have many vintage patterns and i really enjoy using them. One thing
i highly recommend is to make a copy out a light interfacing so you
preserve the fragile patterns.Also they are really easy once you get
the hang of them.A strategy that could be helpful is to buy an old
sewing manual from the 40's 30;s etc and use it to get the feel of the
era's sewing technique. the small holes are usually tailor tacks.
Also if you ever want to trace and trade designs!? I would love to
find some people who could be interested in that .I had a friend trace
a pattern for me from the 20's and it came out wonderfully.
I have a pattern collection going back to 1907
happy sewing
Stephanee

This sounds very interesting! Do you have any photos up anywhere of
your creations using these patterns?
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com