spyware

Old March 18th 05, 08:22 PM
KJ

Default spyware

I have been about ready to tear my hair out the last couple of days. My
computer had slowed down to less than a crawl and it had some other glitches
that I can't take the time to describe. So I downloaded Spybot on a hunch
and ran a scan. Then "fixed" the found culprits. Everything is back to
absolutely normal!!! I know, I know, I should have had it on my computer
years ago. I did have it at one time and had some other problems.....but it
sure cured my ills this time! woo hoo~~~ I'm a happy camper. I can type
without my monitor being 5-10 seconds behind my keyboard strokes!

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Old March 18th 05, 09:30 PM
Ellen

"KJ" wrote in message
I have been about ready to tear my hair out the last couple of days. My
computer had slowed down to less than a crawl and it had some other

glitches
that I can't take the time to describe. So I downloaded Spybot on a hunch
and ran a scan. Then "fixed" the found culprits. Everything is back to
absolutely normal!!! I know, I know, I should have had it on my computer
years ago. I did have it at one time and had some other problems.....but

it
sure cured my ills this time! woo hoo~~~ I'm a happy camper. I can type
without my monitor being 5-10 seconds behind my keyboard strokes!

You might want to also run adaware. When I finally got around to checking
out the desktop the hubby uses and ran spybot and then adware there were
some miscreants found by one that weren't found by the other. We have had
one of those little husband-wife chats and he has promised to only use
firefox on the desktop :-) I lay claim to all stationary computers in the
house. Actually I suggested that he would be using his office laptop on
dialup if I found another million pieces of cr*p on the desktop :-) And yes
you are right -- it took me waaaay too long to get around to running them.

Ellen

Old March 18th 05, 10:24 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I've used Spybot for quite a while (on the advice
of Dr.Bombay, arrogant computer nerd who knows his stuff),
and it helped clean up a bunch of junk.
Then, on the recommendation of someone here
(Hi, Donna in Idaho!) I set up SpyWare Blaster.
What a difference! It keeps most garbage from coming in
and setting up shop. Spybot has so little to do now,
but I keep it handy just in case.
Another recommendation from Dr.Bombay (and thousands
here) is AdAware : http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Gets rid of all all kinds of little bugs.
Both are free (altho' they accept donations from grateful users).
Also, delete temporary internet files and cookies
before you turn off your machine. Especially if you've made
any on-line purchases and used a credit card: dump those cookies.

Ragmop/Sandy--with more time for quilting ;-D

Old March 19th 05, 02:21 AM
Trixie

I use Spybot and Adaware and have lately added Microsoft's Antispyware Beta1
as a third (it is also a free download at www.microsoft.com). With those
three I get rid of almost everything. I know it must be hard for the people
writing the antispyware stuff to keep up. Too many other folks with too much
time on their hands!

om...