OT will Australia please report in?

Old March 16th 05, 12:59 PM
Polly Esther

Thank you. Now I'm happy. You *do* want me to be happy. Polly

"Dee in Oz" wrote in message
oups.com...
WE crack you up !!! at least we can say fish and chips properly not
like people over there......lol

Ingrid keeps on changing intensity and direction so I don't think any
one knows what to expect. The area were it has been isn't heavily
populated so thats one good thing. I think Perth is too far south to
ever be affected by a cyclone

Dee in Oz

Old March 16th 05, 10:37 PM
Dee in Oz

Of course I want you to be happy Polly.
Sounds like it doesn't take much to keep you happy either.

Dee in Oz

Old March 17th 05, 03:47 AM
melinda

Sharon Harper wrote:
Sorry Momma Polly!

We were in Sydney for a long weekend visiting mum and dad - who'da thought
they'd have a heatwave? We are now back in nice, briskly chilly Melbourne.

Guess what Sharon, there was a southern change through yesterday it's now
rather wet and todays forecast top temp was 24C.

Dad has gone back into hospital. Whether he comes out again is anyone's
guess. It's a cycle of saline drip - get better - go home - get nauseas and
dehydrated - back to hospital - drip, etc. He is due to have the ileostomy
reversed in 15 days but ? who knows. Apparently they took more of the
bowel than mum and dad first thought.

I hope they find what's making him nauseas and he gets better soon.

On our drive home we were smashed from behind by an absolute nutcase in a
large SUV. We were in wayne's trusty ute/pickup (holden crewman ss for the
car nuts). It is bright red. We were stopped at a stoplight. This guy was
changing lanes driving 80km/hour about and heading for a stop light. What
can you say?

We are all okay. The car is shattered but driveable. Thank heaven's we
weren't in my little matchbox. Does not bear thinking of. Good thing is
the council cut down the huge dead gum tree out the front. Been dropping
leaves and branches for months. Not any more.

Some of those 4WD/SUV owner/drivers are absolute ratbags, think they own the
road!

Going to shower and bed. More tomorrow. Night Night. Sleep tight.

I hope you rested well.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old March 17th 05, 10:55 AM
Dee in Oz

Really glad you put *some* at the start of that sentence Melinda.

Dee in Oz

Old March 17th 05, 03:07 PM
Leigh Harris

"Dee in Oz" wrote
I think Perth is too far south to ever be affected by a cyclone

Well, not quite. :-) We have been affected a few times. For instance, it was
cyclone Alby in about 1978 that made an impression down here. I remember we
were sent home from school. Trying to walk across a half grown oval in the
winds on the edge of a cyclone leaves an indelible impression in one's
memory (and, at the time, some impressive dents in my legs from all the sand
whipped up!) Generally, however, you are quite right. We get very little
effect from cyclones as we are a couple of thousand kms south of their usual
haunts.

I believe Ingrid has pretty much petered out now. It was scary for a while
for those up the top of the country. I read of some people sheltering in a
4WD vehicle inside a cyclone rated shed. The shed was ripped apart, but they
were all okay in the vehicle. Now THAT is scary stuff!

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

Old March 18th 05, 12:54 AM
Dee in Oz

Thanks for the correction Leigh, just as well I added that *think*
wasn't it !
I have only been to the west once and that was back in the 60's

Dee in Oz

Old March 18th 05, 03:24 AM
melinda

Dee in Oz wrote:
Really glad you put *some* at the start of that sentence Melinda.

Dee in Oz

I do know it's only *some* drivers of that particular type of vehicle.
Drove passed a private school on the way to the National Champs. a
couple of weeks ago, about the end of school for the day and saw heaps
of 4WD/SUV's that have probably never seen a country road or been off
road. I know there are people who live in suburbs that need a 4WD for
whatever reason, but I don't think that the reason of being higher to
see over the traffic in the city is a good enough reason.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old March 18th 05, 03:46 AM
melinda

Leigh Harris wrote:
"Dee in Oz" wrote
[...]

Newcastle NSW, Australia has bee affected by some bad storms in the past.
One "recent" storm was when the Sygna went aground on Stockon Beach in
1974. I found somewhere that Coffs Harbour was hit by a tropical cyclone!
Cyclone season runs from October to May, so it's possible that the storm
that ran the Sygna aground may have been the remains of a late cyclone, but
bad storms happen all year round.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old March 18th 05, 02:45 PM
recarlos

And even dear old Sydney gets hit sometimes.We have had a few nasties. Not
good driving home at 5.00pm with trees crashing around you, very scary. Not
so long ago we lost five trees in our garden, everything over 15ft tall was
flattened, a Liquidamber 40ft and a Silky Oak nearly 60ft were just smashed
by the wind in about twenty minutes. Luckily we were out and came home to a
Jacaranda across our driveway. We get the mini tornado now and then but
mostly nearer the coast.
Cheers,
Ruth

Old March 18th 05, 03:56 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I love my chevy blazer SUV. I bought it new in 1999 and recently my son
tricked it out with candy apple purple paint with ruby dust metallic flecks.
I have crome spoke wheels with low profile tires. I look like the "Little
Old Lady from Pasadena" fame but I don't care. Anyone rude enough to remark
on it - I just tell them that I am in my second adolescence!! I love purple
and love sitting up where I can see. It has less than 20,000 miles on it
and is 6 years old. I have never been off road with it and the thought
horrifies me. My baby - on rocks and dirt??? NEVER!!
--
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~

Beads in Australia Rachelle Beads 1 March 4th 05 05:01 PM
where can I buy Hemp twine from in Australia? Lila Yarn 3 January 25th 05 03:24 PM
Down Under Quilt Show Report - longish Sharon Harper Quilting 9 August 1st 03 10:01 AM