First Fair

Old October 9th 03, 05:51 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

Default First Fair

I will be doing my first arts/crafts fair in November. I am very
excited and also very nervous. This is a juried event and not limited
to pottery. I don't know how many other artists will be there. I
have to provide my own tent and tables. Really I don't have any
specific questions I was just looking for some (ANY) helpful advice.
LMac
Old October 9th 03, 10:02 PM
Monika Schleidt

Lindsay MacArthur wrote:

I will be doing my first arts/crafts fair in November. I am very
excited and also very nervous. This is a juried event and not limited
to pottery. I don't know how many other artists will be there. I
have to provide my own tent and tables. Really I don't have any
specific questions I was just looking for some (ANY) helpful advice.
LMac

Don't worry, Lindsay, there is always a first time to everything you do.
Make sure you have enough change with you, there are always three people
in a row who pay with a hundred dollar bill, have enough wrapping paper
and plastic bags, bring enough self confidence, you are selling something
which nobody else sells, even other potters have other things, yours are
unique.

Monika

--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

Old October 18th 03, 04:03 AM
EddieTezDJ.net

I agree with Monika. Have change, bags, and wrapping paper. The nervousness
will pass. It should be gone with your first sale. You'll be smiling
(right?) as you wrap up the piece that's going into someone else's home - and
possibly a place of honor. That reminds me - it's going out of your
possession. If it's especially good, should you take a picture of it?

The one thing I will add is I find people like the story of the piece.
Certainly some have no story, but tell them another piece's story: i.e.: I
do a lot of carving. It started when I broke the rim of some greenware.
What to do? I carved away around the break and then carved more around the
rim. I ended up with a nice bowl AND a story.

Also, take some solace in that you made it into a juried show. They must
have liked your work - and it's their JOB to find good artists.

Good luck and enjoyment (and someone to rub your feet at the end of the day),
Tez