Recommend a batt?

Old July 17th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default Recommend a batt?

It is time to order another case of batting and I'm wondering if I'm making
the best choice. Mountain Mist Gold is a 50-50 blend; easy to work with and
produces some puffiness (is that a word?) for baby landing spots. The best
price I can find tonight is $ 6.22 per cribsize.
Before I tried the Gold, I bought a bargain that surely was no bargain.
It might have been good for wadding cannons at a Battle Re-enactment but was
unfit for quilting. Warm and Natural is a much better price but I'm
wondering if it has enough loft for babies where their quilt could be their
only gentle place to sleep. Buying a roll would save some $s but I can't
think of a place to keep one. Any suggestions? Polly

Old July 17th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I usually use Hobbs Heirloom 80% cotton/20% poly. It doesn't have a
loft, but I've never thought crib quilts needed more. I almost always
buy king or queen size batts and then cut them to the size I need for
the smaller quilts. I have found that it is generally more economical to
buy the larger batts and cut them up. I often end up with some good size
scraps and piece several of those together for crib quilts, too.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old July 17th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Polly, I'm thinking no batt is truly thick enough to provide a real
'cushion' for a baby landing. You'd have to get to the thickness of a
pillow or something? I buy my bolts of W&N (or Warm & White without the
seed pieces some folks worry about) with Joann's 50% off coupon.

If you cut it lengthwise, you could get a TON of baby quilts from it. Since
it's 90 in. wide you could get two 45 in. widths by cutting the entire bolt
lengthwise. If the quilts were about 42"X36" then you'd get almost 80 baby
battings out of a 40 yd. bolt (allowing a bit extra on each batt for
shifting, etc.). The regular price of the 80 yard bolt is $324.99- half off
is $162.50 for approx. 80 baby size battings or a little over $2.00 a
batting? I *think* I did the math correctly! VBG And, altho I would NOT
advise this, I routinely quilt ones that size without basting! The W&N is
tacky against the cotton fabric and I just very carefully smooth the
sandwich and make some mq stitching lines in both directions to hold it in
place and then go for it. That saves a HUGE amount of time and the 50% off
saves a HUGE amount of money compared to $6.22 per batt you mentioned. And
the W&N is tough yet soft and soooo very washable and dries quickly. I
think that would be a wise purchase for you.... IMNSHO

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 17th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default Recommend a batt?/correction to my post- sorry!

I mistyped- that's a *40* yard bolt of W&N- I typed 40 in one place and 80
in the other place.... sorry!

Leslie

Old July 17th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default Storing a bolt of batting

Here's what the hubby made for me to store my bolt of W&N. It's two closet
rod brackets with a metal pole thru the center of the bolt- the rod rests on
the 'cup' part of the bracket- total cost was less then $10. You can put it
in the top of a closet or any place out of the way. It's worked really well
for me for over two years. One word of warning- do NOT give the end of the
batting a yank. It will start unrolling and not stop! Pull
v-e-e-r-r-r-y-y-y-y gently on the loose end until you have enough. Or cut
it into proper size pieces and store them in a big box???

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...60435514aIBTKy

Old July 17th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Well, yes, Julia, I agree that a crib quilt 'normally' wouldn't need any
loft. When the call went out after Katrina for crib quilts, I thought thin
quilts would be best because there certainly was no need for a thick or
heavy quilt in this climate. Someone pointed out that all too often, the
little ones here on the Gulf Coast in shelters may only have a play pen - or
the floor - to sleep on and the extra padding of some poly would be softer.
All polyester is, I think, an absolute beast to quilt but I can deal with a
blend. Polly

Old July 17th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

But it isn't exactly resilient to lie on, not like a mattress. There's just
not much body to individual poly fibers and sitting on them squishes them
flat. Cotton seems meatier and likely to provide more padding, IMO.

Go ahead, buy a bolt. It's only 30 yards, and once you've cut off enough for
a couple of quilts, the diameter shrinks pretty fast. Having a Whole Bolt of
batting makes me feel like the richest woman on earth.
Roberta in D

Old July 17th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

A new roll of batting is like having an extra person in the house. I
would lay the roll on the guestroom bed when no one was visiting and
then move it to a corner of the master bedroom when someone needed the
guest bed.

I often thought it would be cute to stand the roll in any odd corner
of the house and "dress" it. A stand could be made with a pole to
support the roll. Shoes could be glued on either side of the pole and
peak out from under the roll. The roll itself would be covered with a
dress and topped with a hat. You could go all out and make a soft
sculptured head to hold the hat. Add extra fun by redressing the
"visitor" and moving her around the house.

I stopped buying batting by the roll because I wasn't making 20 quilts
a year anymore. I buy several queen size batts whenever Hobby Lobby
have them for half price (they carry Hobbs 80/20). Price is about the
same.

Susan

Old July 17th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Polly Esther wrote:
It is time to order another case of batting and I'm wondering if I'm making
the best choice. Mountain Mist Gold is a 50-50 blend; easy to work with and
produces some puffiness (is that a word?) for baby landing spots. The best
price I can find tonight is $ 6.22 per cribsize.
Before I tried the Gold, I bought a bargain that surely was no bargain.
It might have been good for wadding cannons at a Battle Re-enactment but was
unfit for quilting. Warm and Natural is a much better price but I'm
wondering if it has enough loft for babies where their quilt could be their
only gentle place to sleep. Buying a roll would save some $s but I can't
think of a place to keep one. Any suggestions? Polly

I use warm and natural or warm and white (whatever is in the house!),
and the last use of a baby quilt of mine that I saw was:

Landing pad for 5 month old god daughter: her older brother's quilt
folded double twice and put bang slap in the middle of the dining table
while we were all eating. The mother said she didn't want to exclude the
little one by putting her on the floor, and since she doesn't yet roll
over and there are adults on both sides, they decided it was safe.

Baby seemed perfectly happy :-)

Hanne in London
Old July 17th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Kind of like having a lot of empty bobbins, or plenty of safety
pins for basting.
Taria

Black Batt question Roberta Quilting 3 March 8th 05 03:41 AM
Batt question maryd Quilting 11 October 11th 04 04:45 PM
Quilting Flannel "Batt"? dogmom Quilting 4 September 4th 04 02:16 AM
Ok to omit batt? dogmom Quilting 18 August 31st 04 08:29 PM
Prewashing Batt Bonnie Quilting 16 September 19th 03 04:39 AM