Need batting and quilting suggestion

Old November 9th 03, 09:07 PM
Laura Bartl

Default Need batting and quilting suggestion

Howdy folks! I am putting together a Square Pegs quilt for an auction for a
battered women's shelter in the area, the auction is 11/22/03. It will be a
lap quilt size.

It *should* look similar to:

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/KQSh...ect=&c atpos=

except I am using fabrics from Robyn Pandolph's Bed of Roses collection.

I am thinking about batting and quilt style. I have only used low loft
cotton batting. I am comfy with SITD and meandering-stipple-sorta-thingy
(and I will definitely use clear thread!).

Any alternate suggestions, particularly on that batting? I feel like I'm in
a rut, but it's a comfy rut, one that I know. I have the rest of today to
piece and then all next weekend to quilt and bind. Any suggestions
appreciated!

TIA!

--
Laura Bartl
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/laurabartl/index.htm

Old November 9th 03, 11:14 PM
Patti

Hullo Laura
I would stick with what you know on this occasion. It's probably not
the opportunity, and I don't think you have the time, to experiment.

In article , Laura Bartl
writes
Howdy folks! I am putting together a Square Pegs quilt for an auction for a
battered women's shelter in the area, the auction is 11/22/03. It will be a
lap quilt size.

It *should* look similar to:

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/KQSh...ction=lookup&p
artno=3333&subject=&catpos=

except I am using fabrics from Robyn Pandolph's Bed of Roses collection.

I am thinking about batting and quilt style. I have only used low loft
cotton batting. I am comfy with SITD and meandering-stipple-sorta-thingy
(and I will definitely use clear thread!).

Any alternate suggestions, particularly on that batting? I feel like I'm in
a rut, but it's a comfy rut, one that I know. I have the rest of today to
piece and then all next weekend to quilt and bind. Any suggestions
appreciated!

TIA!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 9th 03, 11:32 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Here's a new recommendation: Hobbs Heirloom (80/20) batt.
Well, it's the first time today I've recommended it so that's new. g

Why clear thread? Something I definitely don't own.
I love colored thread (using 6 different colors in my current project).
And handquilting; I love that, too. ;-)

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy

"Laura Bartl" wrote in message
news
Howdy folks! I am putting together a Square Pegs quilt for an auction for

battered women's shelter in the area, the auction is 11/22/03. It will be

lap quilt size.

It *should* look similar to:

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/KQSh...n=lookup&partn
o=3333&subject=&catpos=

Old November 9th 03, 11:44 PM
Laura Bartl

thanks! I will look into the Heirloom batt.

why clear thread? why, to minimize the glare of my mistakes!

I do love to hand quilt, but I don't have the time, this time! I am going
to put together something to take with me on vacation to hand quilt, I did
that last time and it was fun to sit on the beach and quilt!

thanks!!

Old November 10th 03, 02:30 AM
sdgodfrey

My first (and only, so far!) quilt was a Square Pegs quilt. My sewing
machine has a feather stitch and I used it doing SITD. Of course, I
used colored thread since I wanted it to show. It turned out really
great. Ok, my stitching wasn't that great, since it was my first quilt.
But I still got lots of compliments on it and it really does look good
in most places. :-) I used a light-colored small print on the back and
the feather stitching perks it up a bit as well. I have a picture or
two in my webshots album if you'd like to take a look.

BTW, I continued the stitching line out into the borders.
--
Sherri G in Kentucky
http://community.webshots.com/user/sdgodfrey

Old November 10th 03, 04:32 AM
Laura Bartl

The feather stitching looks great! I would never have thought of doing SITD
with anything but a straight stitch - a great inspiration!!

And I love Clyde. I can't keep my fat QI Bijou off the quilt top, he loves
anything new.
--
Laura Bartl
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/laurabartl/index.htm

t...

Old November 10th 03, 02:13 PM
sdgodfrey

Thanks, Laura. Clyde takes great interest in the quilt while it's in
the making. He has lost interest in it now that it's completed. I hope
that doesn't mean it failed the QI test! :-D

quilting windfall CNYstitcher Quilting 5 September 11th 03 02:00 AM
My quilting vacation Kathy in CA Quilting 1 September 8th 03 09:08 PM
Fusible batting aluap Quilting 5 August 31st 03 05:38 PM
Need a few hints on hand quilting Ann Quilting 2 July 30th 03 01:19 PM
Quilting Thread question Carol Wolfe Quilting 9 July 15th 03 05:20 AM