"Colonial House" hats....challenge

Old May 25th 04, 05:53 AM

Default "Colonial House" hats....challenge

I think I can do it..and WITHOUT circular needles, "provisional cast
ons" or DPNs!!!!!! Yes I DO!!!! And...if you folks will give me about
12 days (since I am still finishing my "bee stitch" top..which will take
another 2 or 3 days, since I have Bible study tomorrow)...I will SHOW
you...and write out the pattern!!!!! Okay....let's say _14_ days. But
I KNOW what to do. AND...I doubt seriously ..seriously!.....there were
any DPNs in the Colonial days. IN fact...I think I'd just about bank on
it. Those folks back then couldn't and wouldn't deal with such details.
They were lucky to get any sort of knitting needle at all..and I am
pretty sure "double pointed needles" were NOT part of their experience.
I think that that system..the DPN... was probably invented MUCH later by
people who had idle time and fiddled and played..and found it
successful. But NOT in the Colonial times.

I think DPNs came along...if I recall correctly...a couple of hundred
years later....after the 1600's.

What do ya think? You interested??

Emma

Old May 25th 04, 06:54 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Tue, 25 May 2004 00:42:35 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

DPNs have been around since the 1400's.
JM2C,
Noreen

And I can prove they've been around since at LEAST the 1500's
http://www.dabbler.com/ndlwrk/stocking.html
LOL,
Noreen
~ ~ ~
change n e t to c o m to email me.
Old May 25th 04, 12:51 PM
Sorceress

opined thusly:

[...]

There is much documented evidence to support the existence of dpns well
before the 17th century. Further, it is entirely likely that tubular knitting
was actually the first form of knitting, the purl stitch not coming into
existance until the 16th century.

A good source of information is "A History of Hand Knitting" by Richard Rutt.

--
Regards,
--Anne

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail

Blog Info:
http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.php
http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/atom.xml

Old May 25th 04, 02:39 PM
norma woods

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the guys had his hat on, and I would
swear that I saw the join in the hat. I think it was knitted flat, and sewn
together after. It was a pale colour.

--
Star love,
Norma
"Sorceress" wrote in message
y.com...
opined thusly:

Old May 25th 04, 02:55 PM
Laura J

Emma,

If you're offering to figure out the pattern, I'd love to see it! All this
talk of "provisional cast ons" has given me a headache!

Thanks,
LauraJ

Old May 25th 04, 05:22 PM
Jill Delgado

I've ordered the yarn and think I'll have enough to make at least two. I'll
do the original..with a provisional cast on..and then would love to try your
pattern. Since I plan on making a bazillion of these for Christmas, I'll
have plenty of time to try any and all patterns.

Jill
Roseville, CA

Old May 25th 04, 06:41 PM
Helen Halla Fleischer

There's an early Renaissance painting of a madonna knitting on DPNs. They
go way back. I was toying with the idea of the Monmouth cap being done on a
circular knitting loom. The gauge is reasonable for one of those, as is the
hem. The big catch is the decrease pattern for the crown. If it were
started on such a loom it would still need to be finished on dpns to get
that decrease pattern rather than a simple gather.

| On Tue, 25 May 2004 00:53:09 -0400, wrote:

I think I can do it..and WITHOUT circular needles, "provisional cast
ons" or DPNs!!!!!! Yes I DO!!!! And...if you folks will give me about
12 days (since I am still finishing my "bee stitch" top..which will take
another 2 or 3 days, since I have Bible study tomorrow)...I will SHOW
you...and write out the pattern!!!!! Okay....let's say _14_ days. But
I KNOW what to do. AND...I doubt seriously ..seriously!.....there were
any DPNs in the Colonial days. IN fact...I think I'd just about bank on
it. Those folks back then couldn't and wouldn't deal with such details.
They were lucky to get any sort of knitting needle at all..and I am
pretty sure "double pointed needles" were NOT part of their experience.
I think that that system..the DPN... was probably invented MUCH later by
people who had idle time and fiddled and played..and found it
successful. But NOT in the Colonial times.

I think DPNs came along...if I recall correctly...a couple of hundred
years later....after the 1600's.

What do ya think? You interested??

Emma

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old May 26th 04, 02:11 AM
Dawn

What do these Colonial House hats look like?

Dawn
New Brunswick, Canada

Old May 26th 04, 02:48 AM
Cozit/Liz

The Monmouth caps were first knitted... in wool... and then *fulled* or
somewhat shrunken and felted, to add body and thickness/warmth to them.

So they should be knit big, and then beat up a bunch in warm/hot water
before wearing.

There are a number of websites with information on making Monmouth Caps
properly out there... one of those re-enactor things :-) (I'm allergic
to wool (most wools at least), so there's little to no chance of me ever
making one, but...)

-Liz