Irradiated stones??

Old January 7th 05, 03:11 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:56:39 GMT, Mark Johnson
wrote:

Does anyone know of a place that keeps track of what these selling names
really are? Like 'cherry quartz" and "hemalyke" (you got to love
that one). I have tried to google some of them and usually you can find
lots of folks trying to sell the stuff but nobody saying what it is. I
usually never buy these things but it would be nice to know what some of
them are to inform customers.

Hemalyke is a trademark of Fire Mountain Gems and while they won't say
how it's made, it's almost certainly tiny bits of hematite bonded
together in some way.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old January 7th 05, 03:11 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 06:14:15 GMT, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:56:50 -0800, in ?? "Marilee J. Layman"
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 06:56:28 GMT, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:

So, as for Moonstone and Peridot... it's pretty much never used? If
not, how are these stones usually enhanced? As in peridot's to look
greener or darker or more coloration, or moonstone do give more of the
blue streak effects, etc.?

Neither treatment is generally used with either stone.

However, peridot is frequently dyed. Also amethyst, citrine, and rose
quartz. Check the string they're on -- if the string is the color of
the beads, they've been dyed and the dye will be lightened by
sunlight.

Marilee,

1. Bead stringing cords of several types are commonly available already dyed in a wide
range of colors, and it's often common practice to use a cord who's color will enhance
the color of beads. The existance of a colored cord, matching the beads or not,
provides no reliable indication that the beads were dyed, and the use of a white or
colorless cord likewise provides no assurance that they were not dyed, since dying would
most likely be done before the beads are strung, not after, due to potential degredation
of the cords by the dye process, or the potential for color mismatch if some beads take
more dye than others. Several of the professional bead and pearl stringers I know
routinely color their stringing threads, often just with permanent colored magic
markers, if they don't happen to have a good match already in stock for a colored stone
bead. Seems to work just fine, from what I've seen.

Yes, if they're stringing a piece, some people will color the
stringing material. But I've seen many strings in bead stores where
the beads have clearly been dyed on the string -- the intensity of the
color on the string is stronger between the beads.

2. Note too, that the use of dyes with these stones is pretty much limited to beads, not
to most normal cut stones. All four of the ones you mentioned are not permiable to
dyes, except via surface reaching fractures, or perhaps along the protected, but rough
interior surface of a bead's drill hole. Except for rose quartz, the stones you
mentioned are usually used, when facetted or cut as cabs, with few enough fractures and
fissures reaching the surface that most cabochons and faceted stones of these materials
won't be able to be effectively dyed. Rose quartz, when translucent, instead of
transparent, sometimes is able to be dyed, and sometimes is indeed dyed. In beads,
with all four stones you mention, often the use of a nice brightly colored cord to
string beads on makes additional dying no longer needed, as the beads will optically
pick up color from the cord, without any actual dye on the beads.

3. While some dyes do indeed fade in sunlight, not all do. Depends on the color, and
the type of dye used. And note that fading in sunlight is not exclusive to dyes. Some
of the heat treated or irradiated color treatments also are prone to fading in sunlight,
and indeed, some natural stones also, can be prone to colors fading in intense sunlight.
Topaz in particular, is noted for certain types of treatments fading, but there are many
other instances documented. Kunzite is notorious for being a nice naturally colored
stone that cannot withstand exposure toe sunlight, and there are a few others as well.

cheers

Peter

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old January 7th 05, 03:25 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:12:04 -0800, in hõ "Marilee J. Layman"
wrote:

Yes, if they're stringing a piece, some people will color the
stringing material. But I've seen many strings in bead stores where
the beads have clearly been dyed on the string -- the intensity of the
color on the string is stronger between the beads.

The reason for my scepticism is that in general, the dyes and dying processes that are
required to force dyes into a stone, are often not processes that would be friendly to
the stringing cords. Info I've read on gemstone dying processes often suggests dye
baths that are highly alkaline or highly acidic, and often also involve heating, as well
as time periods that are at least days long, and in some cases, weeks long. That
leaves me wondering whether what you've seen was due perhaps to abrasion of the cord by
the rough interior surfaces of the drill hole abrading the cord a bit and affecting
color, or whether the dying used was only intended to color the cord, knowing it would
have little effect on the stones themselves. Among other things, if the intent really
were to color the stones, I'd guess it imperative that the dye fully reach the interior
of the drill hole, who's rough surface is much more likely to accept a dye color and
hold it, than the polished surfaces of the exterior of the bead. And if that were
happening, then I'd expect the color of the cord inside the drill hole to perhaps even
be brighter, since it then would not subsequently be as fully rinsed off again as would
the area of the knots. That the knots or spaces between beads are brighter or more
intense color suggests to me just a quick dip in fabric dye to color the cord, a process
that would have little effect on the stones themselves..

But I'll also readily admit that I'm working here from conjecture, not absolute
knowledge, and what you've seen may indeed have been beads where the beads themselves
were dyed. I've not seen that personally, but then it's been a few years since I was
actively buying beads in any quantity, so perhaps things have changed. Most of the
stones I deal with these days are cut as cabs or faceted, and for those, I'll still
maintain that dyed peridot or amethyst are highly unlikely.

cheers

Peter
Old January 7th 05, 06:56 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "Marilee J. Layman"
:

]Hemalyke is a trademark of Fire Mountain Gems and while they won't say
]how it's made, it's almost certainly tiny bits of hematite bonded
]together in some way.

isn't it something like 90% or more of the 'hematite' being sold is
just like that?

of course, one of the members of my rock club grinned when he told me
that the red clay i b*tched about in my yard was made up of 'that same
hematite you like so much -- it's just ground up finer!'

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
Old January 7th 05, 06:56 AM
Mark Johnson

Hi Marilee,
Yes I know what Hemalyke is. I was just wondering if there was some
source that kept track of all of the bloody trade names that keep
popping up. I have a library of gemalogical source books but so many
new things pop up each year you can't keep up with the new ones.

My problem is not with those of us who work in the trade on a full or
part time basis but those who we serve who get taken every day by some
new trade name synthetic or imitation.

As far as Hemalyke. I doubt that it is reconstituted hematite as that
had been around for a long time and is almost always passed of as
hematite. I suspect it is just a glass imitation.

Mark

Old January 7th 05, 08:29 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from Mark Johnson
:

]As far as Hemalyke. I doubt that it is reconstituted hematite as that
]had been around for a long time and is almost always passed of as
]hematite. I suspect it is just a glass imitation.

most of it that i have *seen* actually IS ground up and reconstituted
hematite. but someone along the line may have burned Fire Mountain.

Old January 8th 05, 02:57 AM
C. Gates

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:

The reason for my scepticism is that in general, the dyes and dying processes that are
required to force dyes into a stone, are often not processes that would be friendly to
the stringing cords.

Two different worlds, Peter, between permanent dyes for stones like
"black onyx," where the color penetrates the structure of the stone and
for the surface-treatment dyes used for cheap beads, which seems to be
the focus in this thread.

Much of the dye used on these beads does not penetrate the stone, nor
was it ever intended to be permanent. Usually it's simply a temporary,
superficial treatment to make the beads appear better. The dye usually
goes into the cracks of the stones, or the rough surface inside the
drill holes, so it can take some effort to get it out. And the dye is
usually soluble in water, or at least in denatured alcohol.

After a gem show goes through the area, we often get one or two people
who come in the shop and inquire as to why this strand of aquamarine
they bought at the show for such a great price left a blue ring around
the collar of their blouse or sweater.

The weird thing is, sometimes these stones are really pretty good in the
first place and, for the money, could have done well on their own,
without the dyepot.

Although, as usual with beads of this ilk, the holes are often tapered,
where to cut costs, the drilling stops as soon as the tip of the drill
goes through the other end.
Old January 14th 05, 05:28 AM
Don T

Try he

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/arsenic/aolinx.asp

--

Don Thompson

Remmy sez,
Count de Monet.
Unless, of course, you are Baroque.

"C Ryman" wrote in message

Yep, I have Radon in the basement. What would be the best way to research
Arsenic in the water - I can't think of good search parameter for Google.
don't remember it being listed on the last water review but that may not
mean anything. The water in our area leaves something to be desired. If
try to drink a whole glass in the morning it makes me feel sick. My dog
doesn't like it either.
Thanks,
--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

All in all, you experience many health risks and never know it. Radon is
a common one. Arsenic in drinking water is a under-rated hazard, maybe
because it is so widespread throughout the country. Check that one out!
Low does of arsenic are really bad for your health. As a health risk,
it's a real sleeper. Blue topaz belongs way, way down on the list of
things that can be potential health risks.

But, if you're worried about it, have it checked.

Old January 14th 05, 05:22 PM

So, I can pretty much assume that the Topaz ring I bought at Ice.com is
safe.. and won't get me ill someday? Or should I just let it sit for a
few months...?

I was thinking of calling them up and seeing what they say about it.
I have called them about other jewelry and they seem to know all the
info... where it came from, country, each stone, etc. Or so it seems...
I am assuming they are being honest with me.
It's so damn beautiful.

Old January 15th 05, 06:12 AM
C Ryman

Thanks Don