Help with knitting instructions

Old May 26th 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

Default Help with knitting instructions

wrote:
On May 25, 10:12 am, suzee wrote:
DA wrote:

You put the dec on the next row directly over the previous one. It
might help to place a piece of yarn or removeable stitch marker around
the stitch that was the result of the decrease, then when you're one
st before it, sl 1, psso and it will be in the same spot. The k1 will
be directly over the previous k1, then you k2tog. It's easier to read
your knitting than to figure out how to adjust the st numbers for the
decs.
sue
Sue, is my memory serving me right? I seem to remember reading some
where that raglan shaping was done one stitch in from the edge of the
knitted fabric? If I am reading the pattern under discussion correctly,
the K1 is used as a fake seam between the front decrease and the sleeve
shaping?

There's no edge, this is a seamless raglan, and they sometimes have the
decs next to each other, with 1 st between or sometimes 2 sts between.
The knit 1 would be in the same place as the seam.

sue

Thanks everyone for all your help and clarifications. I did as Sue
suggested and as explained by mirjam and both work out to the same so
I think I understand.
I have completed rows 7 and 8 and will move on to the next one (which
is detailed out in the pattern )

I tell you for a new knitter getting through patterns is almost like
learning a new language...

It is.

sue
Old May 26th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

You are Welcome Catherine ,,
You are right learning to read knitting instructions is a New
Language ,,,,,,

Now rmember you have here a 24/7 hour open Help Board ,,,,,,

You might consider buying some books with explanations ? are you also
into the historical background or more into how to ???

A very good help is keep a Copybook with `the story` of each work
date , name of work , which wool /cotton you used .
GUAGUGE VERY INPORTANT write all your efforts ,,,,,
20 stiches on needles number ? in pattern Y ,,,,,,,= So much cm or
inches [your prefference ,,,,

Measurements of future wearer
hips, waist lengths ,,,, sleeve [ inside = from arm pit to wanted
length ] Arm circumference under arm pit and at point you want it to
end ,,,, etc...
Any changes you made while working , either by choice or by need ,,,,
you also can tell your feelings ,, [ in mine you will find remarks
about the wool`s behaviours etc,,,,
Over the many years you will knit it will be a source of learning
remembering , advice and smiles !!!!
Best of luck
mirjam