What all do you do craftwise?

Old January 22nd 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default What all do you do craftwise?

In my experience Donna for boys it's about 17 to 18, and for girls you're
talking about roughly 18 to 19 ( or with either it's when they leave home
and realise just how much you did for them!!)
Love & higs
Christine

"Donna D." wrote in message
. ..
Hi Trish:

Just a quickie quesiton here.
At approx. what age do they become "human" again....I really need to have
something to look forward to.
My daughter turns 17 next month!

Donna from near Niagara Falls, Canada

"Trish" wrote in message
Hey! Pink stripes are the least of your worries Mom!(LOL)

Believe me, I raised 2 girls too!(LOL) But they do become human again.:)

--
Trish
http://community.webshots.com/user/trishirvine

"Eastern Edge" wrote in message
oups.com...

Trish wrote:
OOO, That sounds really pretty. be sure to post a pic of it when
you're
done:)

--
Trish
http://community.webshots.com/user/trishirvine
http://www.geocities.com/marshalldouglas2001/

It's gonna be gorgeous! I picked out a Lizzie McGuire pattern for her,
so she's doubly tickled Nice and simple, so to show off the fabric
and tiny little bone structure she's got. Plus I'll crochet her a
black and turquoise shrug out of ladder/ribbon yarn.

It's for her to wear to her sister's confirmation this spring, for
which I am making a beautiful white-on-white cotton (DD1 has allergic
skin and can't wear synthetic fabrics) dress, with a pastel-coloured
patchwork border along the calf-length hem. Simple and plain but
perfectly suited to my dress-hating, jeans-loving oldest girl. I
just hope the pink stripe in her hair grows out by then! If not, it'll
match the shawl she's purchased

Michelle

Old January 22nd 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Eastern Edge wrote:
Katherine wrote:
ROTFL!!! I'll have to discuss that with Kandace's mother. I know that
Kandace herself would be thrilled to bits.

Higs,
Katherine

Tis only hair...can be cut and will grow. You *could* just do the
bottom couple of inches of her hair around her head rather than all
the way from root to tip....easy to hide in a wrapped bun, or in a
ponytail with the ends caught in the elastic and wrap a scarf around
it. Or just chop it off.

True. I remember when my oldest DD was messing around with colouring her
hair. She would lie and tell me that it was just lemon juice and sun. I told
her that, if she wasn't careful, she would end up losing her hair. Well,
after her cancer episode (when she was 14), she reminded me of that. We were
able to laugh at it, but ever since, I have realized the silliness of
getting upset about hair. g

Higs,
Katherine

Old January 22nd 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Just let me know. g

Higs,
Katherine

Trish wrote:
Hmmm, maybe later:)

Trish wrote:
We still don't have any snow!:(

We have loads. Want some?

Higs,
Katherine

Old January 22nd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

This is so fascinating to read what everyone is doing. It is also a
relief - I'm not the only one who seems to try everything.

Currently I'm into quilting, crocheting, beading. At various times in
the past I have done macrame, counted cross stitch, sewing, water
color, knitting, quilling. I have a current fascination with fused
glass but I haven't got up enough nerve to invest in a kiln.

Old January 22nd 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Also I did a weekend workshop with Kaffe Fassett, that was very inspiring.
Shirley

I would love to meet him! I love his attitude with colors!:)

Old January 22nd 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

LOL That last statement is sure true! Also, if they have younger cousins who
are going through the attitude stage, that will even spark an apology
sometimes:)

--
Trish
http://community.webshots.com/user/trishirvine
http://www.geocities.com/marshalldouglas2001/
" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
In my experience Donna for boys it's about 17 to 18, and for girls you're
talking about roughly 18 to 19 ( or with either it's when they leave home
and realise just how much you did for them!!)
Love & higs
Christine

. ..

Old January 22nd 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

What an encouraging message about woodworking, Jane. I have saved it to
read through again later. Good for you, remodeling your kitchen by
yourself... that's great! )

Gemini

"Jane" wrote in message
. ..

One thing that I would love to try is woodworking. I watch Yankee
Workshop from time to time and I would love to try my hand at making
furniture pieces. But I don't have the tools needed nor the money to
begin to purchase them at this time. Maybe someday.

Diane

I'm Jane in Ohio, am a knitter, and I lurk here a lot too. Right now I'm
in a cross stitch mood and since I will be a grandmother for the first
time in Sept. am working on a baby alphabet afghan/blanket in cross
stitch. I hope I finish it before the wee one arrives! My DIL's mom
crochets so the new arrival will have lots of blankets, etc.

As to the woodworking, that is my other passion. I got the table saw with
the divorce many years ago but just learned to use it in the past few
years. I started out with bookcases (you can get the wood cut at the
lumberyard, Lowes, Home depot, etc) and other projects that were sorely
needed at the time. When I retired from teaching I was determined to redo
the kitchen and learned how to build the cabinets and doors, tile, lay
flooring, do wiring and build countertops and it looks great!

You don't need a lot of tools. A circular saw and drill will enable you
to do a lot of projects. I constantly use the library for inspiration,
plans, and how to's. The internet (newsgroups, information pages, etc)
has also given me a lot of confidence to build things the way I want them.
I ask a lot of questions (for example the glass shop was very helpful on
tips to secure the glass in my cabinet doors) and haven't encountered too
many "brushoffs" because I am a woman.

I encourage you to look around google and the library and to take the
plunge. I always look at every project as a learning experience and I
always end up knowing more than I did before. Some people have every
power tool known to man but it isn't necessary. You also don't need to
buy the most expensive wood. Lots of good looking furniture is made of
pine.

Jane

Old January 22nd 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

From memory of my own rebellion.... I became human again about the age of
19. I rebelled from the ages of 15-16 to 19... I was such a witch that I
couldn't even stand myself at times. I tell you... my parents deserve
sainthood for putting up with me.

Once it was over though, I came back to being a nice person and my parents
were no longer the nasty misunderstanding people I thought they had been
(which they had never been, of course)... and we even hung out (went out to
a bar and dances from time to time, even though my Mom never drank at all)
together as actual friends during my twenties! )

Gemini

. ..

Old January 22nd 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Katherine wrote:
ROTFL!!! I'll have to discuss that with Kandace's mother. I know that
Kandace herself would be thrilled to bits.

Higs,
Katherine

Tis only hair...can be cut and will grow. You *could* just do the
bottom couple of inches of her hair around her head rather than all the
way from root to tip....easy to hide in a wrapped bun, or in a
ponytail with the ends caught in the elastic and wrap a scarf around
it. Or just chop it off.

Michelle

My son was 17 when he decided that he wanted his hair blue. I took him to
the hairdresser and she said that it would be permanent but it washed out.
His hair is naturally almost black so the bleach that she put on first was
still there and he ended up with orange tips. Lots of people looked at me
crazy when I told them that I took him but I had the same attitude that it
is just hair. Lots of other things that could be worse (like his sister
getting a tatoo when she went to college - Yuck!)
Carol in TN
PS Michelle the dresses sound lovely.

Hi Carol

I don't mind tattoos (DH has one and I've designed another for him, but
not yet put it to paper, or on him yet), but I'd rather they wait until
they're adults! Hair's nothing.

Thanks dresses. I hope they will be: I have big hopes!

Michelle

Old January 22nd 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Katherine wrote:
Eastern Edge wrote:
Katherine wrote:
[...]

I'm of the view that if you go against silly/nonpermanent stuff with
older kids/teenagers, it will probably escalate to something more
serious/permanent. Hair is basically silly stuff, though it may be
very unpleasant to look at for a while

Michelle