knitting journal

Old December 23rd 03, 02:53 AM
Agres

Default knitting journal

The most important fact to record in your knitting journal is where the
object is hidden while waiting to be wraped and tagged for Christmass. I
simply did not remember knitting that pair of socks, but I seemed to be
short 2 skeins of yarn. Yep, there was another pair of fuzzy pink socks at
the bottom of my ski sweater drawer.

I guess elite knitters wrap and tag as they go? Or, do they have a column
in their journals for "where hid"?

Aaron

Old December 23rd 03, 04:24 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:53:09 GMT, Agres wrote:

The most important fact to record in your knitting journal is where the
object is hidden while waiting to be wraped and tagged for Christmass. I
simply did not remember knitting that pair of socks, but I seemed to be
short 2 skeins of yarn. Yep, there was another pair of fuzzy pink socks at
the bottom of my ski sweater drawer.

I guess elite knitters wrap and tag as they go? Or, do they have a column
in their journals for "where hid"?

Aaron

Oh, Aaron, I can certainly empathize with this dilemma! (remember the Tool
Time episode where Tim hid Jill's valentine?)
To answer your query, YES, I do wrap and hide immediately, and I DO put
'where' in my journal!
(laughing at myself though, because with all our moves, occasionally the
JOURNAL gets LOST!)
Noreen
who, BTW humbly apologizes for remarks made earlier.... hanging head.

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old December 23rd 03, 07:38 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Ach Aaron this was HILARIOUS ,,, i write all deatials of my works in
copybooks ,, but i never hide them , my work room is LOADED enough so
that i just can put them [if i want to hide it] under a pile of wool
or between the sewing cloth !!!!!
i usually make and give ,,,,,but i do keep a drawer for small Bazaar
items , since the ladies who need it keep coming a day before, i
learned to have some on stock , anyway it is always god to have some
handmade presents handy ,,,,,,
mirjam , over woirked with stuff.
Old December 23rd 03, 12:45 PM
Sonya Cirillo

I use to do this - I'd find stuff that I got for Christmas and forgotten
- so I started a box in my closet (in my craft room - which is full of
boxes) that is for Christmas finds/items made. Right now it's full of
stocking stuffers!

Sonya

Old December 23rd 03, 01:53 PM
Slinky

I hide stuff in plain sight too - this works for me because my husband
won't wear my knitted goods (the cad) and anything my son asks me to
make I'm more than happy to produce ASAP. FOs for the outlaws go in a
box in garage with a couple of mothballs. Naphtalene, the smell that
keeps on giving! *g*

Old December 23rd 03, 05:45 PM
Ranee Mueller

In article , Slinky
wrote:

I hide stuff in plain sight too - this works for me because my husband
won't wear my knitted goods (the cad) and anything my son asks me to
make I'm more than happy to produce ASAP.

I hide things in plain sight, but that is because it's the only way
to make sure that Rich doesn't see them. He thinks I have some sort of
magic that can produce something right in front of him that wasn't there
the second before. I have literally set a stack of books directly in
front of Rich at a table and just didn't tell him where they were and he
couldn't find them.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Old December 23rd 03, 06:32 PM
JJMolvik

My DM uses her linen closet as the gift gathering location. Every year she
says, "This Christmas is going to be slim!" And then she empties her
closet! I just have to shake my head each year at the PILE under the tree.

JJMolvik

Old December 23rd 03, 09:11 PM
Agres

I have not settled on where to keep the knitting journal. It started as
notes in my Franklin Day Planner, then became a separte notebook. The
dayplanner notes were too hard to index, and the notebook was always with
someother WIP. I think I'm going to try keeping it as a tabbed section in
the dayplanner that gets moved to a separate notebook as it gets filled.

What brings this on is trying to knit complex Aran patterns flat. I can see
how complex Aran patterns can be knitted in the round by an illiterate
person with with fairly simple mnemonics. And, I know that the Norse
culture had sophisticated symbols for recording and manipulating knitting
patterns. But, after spending the night working on an old Aran pattern that
was knit flat, I firmly believe that Irish wemen were much more widely
literate than is recognized. I think they were reading and writing to
record knitting patterns if nothing else. I do not think the MEN that ran
the museams and wrote Irish history understood the sophistication and
density of information in the knitting patterns that the women recorded and
interpreted. Men in the countryside that also made a living knitting
understood, but they were not running museams and recording history.

Ok you say, "Why don't we have little scraps of paper with knitting patterns
on them scattered all over the Western World?" I would say that the Norse
system lent itself to the crudest of writing implements - chalk on slate and
flint or iron against slate if you want a permenant record. They used what
they had, and they did not have paper. They were knitting with goose
feathers! Moreover, the Irish climate is not condusive to the long term
preservation of bits of paper or leather. What we should look for are neat
rows of scratches on slate. They would be near the door or near the hearth
of old Irish cottages. If they exist, they should not be too hard to find.

If we find them, it means that all those Irish wemen were actually reading
and writing. (Remember that computer cards and the binary languages encoded
on them were derived from a system to control Jacquard looms.) If we do not
find them, it means they were smart enough to work out all those patterns in
their head. Wow!

Has anybody noticed such patterns in their tours of Ireland?

Aaron

.. .

Old December 23rd 03, 09:57 PM
JJMolvik

Aaron, you think too much! VBEG!

JJMolvik

Old December 24th 03, 08:55 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Agres wrote:
snip

What brings this on is trying to knit complex Aran patterns flat. I can
see how complex Aran patterns can be knitted in the round by an illiterate
person with with fairly simple mnemonics. And, I know that the Norse
culture had sophisticated symbols for recording and manipulating knitting
patterns. But, after spending the night working on an old Aran pattern that
was knit flat, I firmly believe that Irish wemen were much more widely
literate than is recognized. I think they were reading and writing to
record knitting patterns if nothing else. I do not think the MEN that
ran the museams and wrote Irish history understood the sophistication and
density of information in the knitting patterns that the women recorded
and interpreted. Men in the countryside that also made a living knitting
understood, but they were not running museams and recording history.

Just a couple of comments. The earliest documented Aran patterns (meaning
knitted on one or another of the islands including the isle of Aran) only
just that, a legend made up during the 1930s. The guernseys knitted in
less-bulky stitch patterns are traceable to early 19th century (by
photoraphs) and may go back earlier in the Netherlands.

Also, it's not all that hard to work an Aran once you get used to it.
You start out, do what looks good, and keep looking at what you're already
done to check what you need to do next. Flat or round, it's about the
same process.

Guernsey patterns tended to stay the same in one area for several reasons,
one of which was that people copied the old sweaters to knit the new ones.
Bits and shreds of old knitting that had an interesting pattern were
carefully kept as models to copy.

Ok you say, "Why don't we have little scraps of paper with knitting
patterns on them scattered all over the Western World?"

We do.. oh, you meant from the past. :-) They had scraps of old knitting,
but eventually the moths got at them or they rotted or wore out.

They were knitting with goose feathers!

Where did you hear about that?

=Tamar