Interesting Sales Arrangement

Old November 15th 03, 04:55 AM
Tink

Default Interesting Sales Arrangement

I thought you guys would appreciate hearing about this bizarre but very cool
arrangement that I have with one of my clients.

She essentially "hires" me for a day. I make lampwork and she gets my entire
production for the day at a very reduced price. Less than wholesale. I have
certain styles that she says sell well for her in her gallery, and there are
particular palettes she likes me to use. Other than that, I'm on my own. I
like the freedom and the knowledge that what I'm working on is sold already.
She likes the fact that she is getting custom work from me at a really low
price.

She is guaranteed a minimum number of beads, but stands to get more than
that if I am having a good day. Which I typically do when she commissions
work.

Have you guys ever done this before?
--
Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
New auctions up, including Victorian Holly
http://snurl.com/2pun

Old November 15th 03, 01:20 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Yeah, no kidding.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Need web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Tink"
:

]Have you guys ever done this before?

how much do i fork over to get in on this deal???????

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
It's not what you take, when you leave this world behind you;
it's what you leave behind you when you go. -- Randy Travis

Old November 15th 03, 03:56 PM
Sjpolyclay

Have you guys ever done this before?

yep, its called "works for hire", I think, and when you do that as a musician,
writer, programmer or designer, the copyrights stay with the one who employed
the work. The creator is an employee and the company owns all output, sometimes
even of what you do in your off hours. (like certain scientists, and artists
who work for Disney)
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old November 15th 03, 05:59 PM
Barbara Otterson

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:55:07 GMT, "Tink"I thought you guys would
appreciate hearing about this bizarre but very cool
arrangement that I have with one of my clients.
She essentially "hires" me for a day. I make lampwork and she gets my entire
production for the day at a very reduced price.
She is guaranteed a minimum number of beads, but stands to get more than
that if I am having a good day. Which I typically do when she commissions
work.
Have you guys ever done this before?

Nope. But when I run low on lampwork, and have no
time to make any, can I hire you for a day too?
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
~~ Albert Camus
Old November 15th 03, 06:02 PM
Tink

Nah... I don't think so in this case. My work isn't being directed at all by
the buyer, other than some suggestions for color palette and so on. It's
just an up-front agreement to take everything I create on that day for a set
price.

I've worked for Disney as a designer, and I kept ownership of my designs. It
was for creation of a limited edition. But interestingly, when I worked at
IBM, they owned everything I did, whether it was related to computers or
not. Bizarre.

Old November 15th 03, 06:14 PM
Tink

Sure :-)

It's really working out well. I never would have thought of it, but one of
my volume customers just kind of jokingly said "With all the purchases I'm
making from you this week, I should just hire you for a day." She had
purchased ten beads, all focals, for $220 total. The following week, she
hired me for a day's work for $150, and got 15 beads, all focals. She was
happy, I was happy. It rocked.

Old November 15th 03, 08:57 PM
meijhana

Tink.

One word.

Spacers?

ducking and running, those "short rods" hurt like mad!

--
Joy multiplies when it is shared among friends, but grief diminishes with
every division. That is life.

Old November 16th 03, 01:07 AM
Tink

LOL Smarty Pants! If someone wanted to pay me $150 - $200 for a dozen or so
spacers, I think I could force myself to do them. LMAO!

And the "short rods" will be the LEAST of your worries. I just got a bunch
of new tools that are quite evil looking. Bwahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Can
you say CLAMPS? I knew you could. LOL!

Old November 16th 03, 01:47 AM
Carol in SLC

Have you guys ever done this before?

I've been on the other side of the equation. For quite awhile I bought $1000
worth of beads from a certain lampworker on a monthly basis. I got fabulous
beads at an awesome price every month, and she was guaranteed at least $1000 in
sales for the month. I also gave her complete artistic freedom to make
whatever she wanted. I think it worked out extremely well for us both.

Carol in SLC
My latest creation (11/12): http://members.aol.com/CarolinSLC/rock.jpg