My, how times have changed

Old November 22nd 03, 03:04 AM
B. Peg

Default My, how times have changed

From "Housekeeping Monthly" May 13, 1955

http://kimmershow.com/fileTamer/goodwife.jpg

Doesn't seem that long ago...

Old November 22nd 03, 07:55 AM
Valkyrie

It was also during this period of time when Valium was deemed a wonder drug
and called "Mother's Helper"......go figure.

Val

From "Housekeeping Monthly" May 13, 1955

Old November 22nd 03, 04:20 PM
Jalynne

Now THAT's frightening....I'm sure glad it's not like that in our house, I'd never
survive.
--
Jalynne

From "Housekeeping Monthly" May 13, 1955

Old November 22nd 03, 05:01 PM
Diana Curtis

Ditto.
A good wife always knows her place eh? Reminds me of the joke we told as
kids, Where does an 800 pound gorrilla sleep? Anywhere she wants to!
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
"Jalynne" wrote in message
ink.net...
Now THAT's frightening....I'm sure glad it's not like that in our house,

I'd never
survive.
--
Jalynne

From "Housekeeping Monthly" May 13, 1955

Old November 22nd 03, 08:05 PM
Elizabeth Young

B. Peg wrote:
From "Housekeeping Monthly" May 13, 1955

http://kimmershow.com/fileTamer/goodwife.jpg

Doesn't seem that long ago...

This particular list of housewifely characteristics is suspect.
check snopes.com for a critique of this piece.

liz young in sunny california

Old November 23rd 03, 03:45 AM
KittyG

Aha, found it! Love this site!

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.htm

kitty in phx
--
Remove "s" and "i" in email to respond.
http://community.webshots.com/user/kittykatchee
"Elizabeth Young" wrote in message
From "Housekeeping Monthly" May 13, 1955

Old November 23rd 03, 04:45 PM
teleflora

"B. Peg" wrote in message
From "Housekeeping Monthly" May 13, 1955

http://kimmershow.com/fileTamer/goodwife.jpg

Doesn't seem that long ago...

Why, why... that's ME! Yes, I do all of those things and more every single
day. And I believe wholeheartedly in the basic concept. Yup, he's the boss
and I'm his slave. I serve no other purpose other than to make sure that
his every need is catered to. It's my mantra and I repeat it throughout the
day. I particularly agree with the premise that "his topics of conversation
are so much more important than (mine)".

Cindy (who's lobotomy scar barely shows at all when I wear my bangs long
like this)

Old November 23rd 03, 05:03 PM
Dr. Quilter

I don't think my mom read this article, but she, who was married in
1967, did and still does many of these things for my dad. Again, I
repeat, I want a wife too!!! (

B. Peg wrote:

From "Housekeeping Monthly" May 13, 1955

http://kimmershow.com/fileTamer/goodwife.jpg

Doesn't seem that long ago...

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old November 23rd 03, 08:01 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

I will admit to having been married more than once. :-) Ya know, for
the right kind of relationship, and being treated with the same
consideration in return, I wouldn't have one bit of trouble following
these "rules". I haven't found that yet- I have always had to fight for
every little thing I wanted or needed. Therefore, I've never found a
reason/incentive to act "the 1950's way" in a marriage.... so far.

Leslie- finding many different meanings to the word "liberated"

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old November 24th 03, 01:51 AM
NightMist

You all think you want a wife.
When you finally get one, she changes the kitchen cupboards all around
and always puts the toilet paper roll on backwards.
It's not all loungeing about with a box of bon bons you know!

NightMist

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:03:34 -0800, "Dr. Quilter"
wrote:

I don't think my mom read this article, but she, who was married in
1967, did and still does many of these things for my dad. Again, I
repeat, I want a wife too!!! (

B. Peg wrote:

From "Housekeeping Monthly" May 13, 1955

http://kimmershow.com/fileTamer/goodwife.jpg