Palm and stash stuff

Old September 20th 03, 03:08 PM
Val Mathison

Default Palm and stash stuff

Hi all

My DH has just bought himself a new Palm gismo with all the whistles and bells
so I have inherited his "old" one. Of course, all I want it for is to list my
stash! I took a look in the archives for stuff about Palms and ThinkDB progs
and Organised Expressions etc but the info and posts are really old and so I
thought I would ask if someone knows the recent position. What is/are the best
ways to keep record of stash on Palms? I'd be grateful for any help as I am
eager, like anyone with a new gadget to play with. LOL

Val
Shropshire UK
Old September 20th 03, 04:24 PM
MaryR

Val,

If you have Microsoft Word and Excel I think those are
really great. You can create tables in Word but the best is
Excel. This is a powerful and versatile data base program
in which you can design your own spreadsheets for anything
from your personal library to thread lists. You can even
import color conversion charts from online and convert them
to Excel then download them to your palm for shopping.

I have a Sony Clie and it came with some free software
called Documents to Go. This is what you need to use Word
and Excel. You just do all the work on the home computer
and it is designed to automatically download the
documents/spread sheets to the PDA when you hot synch. It's
all done through the Palm OS (operating system). I assume
you're using the Palm OS, of course.

Have your husband look at the original CD for the PDA you
inherited and check the supplemental software on the CD. If
Documents to Go is there you already have it. (It may be on
the CD for his new PDA also.) If not, it can be purchased
online.

http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/ (the third
one: Standard Edition is all you need)

Also, there was a lot of discussion of the use of PDAs for
needlework-related issues on the ANG list at one time so a
new list was created. You can join that list and post
there. There are many knowledgeable people and we all have
different sorts of PDAs.

It's a Yahoo! Group, so just go to Yahoo! to sign up and you
can send out and receive e-mail from the group. It's not
real active unless someone posts a question so it's very
manageable.

The name of the group is "PDAstitch."

MaryR

Old September 20th 03, 04:31 PM
Val Mathison

MaryR

Mary

Thanks for the time and trouble of answering all this! I do have Word and
Excel and I am off to join that Yahoo group now! See you there. LOL.

Val
UK
Old September 20th 03, 06:08 PM
Sorceress

Val Mathison opined thusly:

Hi all

My DH has just bought himself a new Palm gismo with all the whistles and
bells so I have inherited his "old" one. Of course, all I want it for is
to list my stash! I took a look in the archives for stuff about Palms
and ThinkDB progs and Organised Expressions etc but the info and posts
are really old and so I thought I would ask if someone knows the recent
position. What is/are the best ways to keep record of stash on Palms?
I'd be grateful for any help as I am eager, like anyone with a new
gadget to play with. LOL

Val
Shropshire UK

Try perusing he
http://pda.tucows.com/palm/database_default.html
and he
http://pda.tucows.com/palm/leis_hobbies_default.html
Most of them run on the Palm v.4 or v.5 There are 2 knitting specific ones
that look hopeful, and a bunch of generics that could be customized however
you desire.

--
Regards
--Anne

Blogging to be found at http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.html

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail
Old September 22nd 03, 04:32 PM
SEL

I'm on my second Palm now... and I would still vote for ThinkDB - well, it's
actually now called Smart List to Go (dumb name in my opinion)... it's the
most versatile type of system. Each database (DMC, Rainbow Gallery, Krenik,
fibres, Anchor, etc.) is VERY easy to alter to add in columns or information
you want to add. And it's actually easy to create your own tinybytes or
databases for different things. This weekend I added one to keep track of my
magazines, and am working on a more extensive one for my patterns and
freebies.

Enjoy your Palm

Shannon L.