Ot time zones in Canada was Banned from the Garden!--very long

Old July 22nd 03, 06:53 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Ot time zones in Canada was Banned from the Garden!--very long

That is interesting Dawne ? how many time zones does Canada have ?
mirjam
o.ca wrote:

"Stitch Lady"

She says she is on holiday just like me. That will explain a lot. Now if
she needs to go to work, it is already 8:22AM in CA (where her email is

based)

The dot c a in the address stands for Canada. You will find the same in
my email address. As Canada stretches across the entire continent, there
are many time zones in the country.
Dawne, in Regina, Saskatchewan CA which gets its own unique timezone
(Saskatchewan Time) on Yahoo Calendar

Old July 22nd 03, 04:11 PM
Felicia Stewart

Canada has 6 time zones. From West to East they a Pacific,
Mountain, Central, Eastern, Atlantic, and Newfoundland.

Newfoundland is only a half-hour ahead of Atlantic time, so maybe it's
only 5.5 time zones?

Old July 22nd 03, 04:45 PM
emerald

"Tara D" wrote re time zones

5, I think. Pacific, Central, Eastern, Atlantic and Newfoundland.
No, it's not a regional joke (I.E. folks from Newfoundland are on
their own time zone), they really are much further east and have their
own time zone.

And Mountain

emerald, on Pacific Time (GMT -8 hours)

Old July 23rd 03, 08:51 AM
Meredith

Mirjam, what is the time relative to GMT in Israel?

Meredith

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

thank you Emerald
i am facinated by the possibilities
mirjam

Old July 23rd 03, 01:25 PM
Alison

Mirjam - my partner has a watch that gets the correct time from a
satellite. As she crosses time zones the watch adjusts itself (it's a
very cool feature.) And yes, you do have to change your watches as
you move across Canada or for that matter the US. However the
timezones in the US are not consistent, the line may zigzag around a
particular state or through the middle of a state. Some states don't
observe Daylight Savings Time for instance.

Alison

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:09:48 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Thank you Felicia ,
that is very interesting , so how does it work with news on national
wide tv nets etc? do you have to change your watches when moving
across Canada ??? Are there road signs that say You are now in new
time zone ????
mirjam with great curiousity

Old July 23rd 03, 01:37 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Alison had some very interesting things to
say about Ot time zones in Canada was Banned from the
Garden!--very long:

Mirjam - my partner has a watch that gets the correct time from a
satellite. As she crosses time zones the watch adjusts itself (it's a
very cool feature.)

My DH also has a watch that gets the satellite signal [don't know if
his self-corrects for time zone, since we never travel :-)].

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old July 23rd 03, 03:40 PM
Dawne Peterson

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote ..
so how does it work with news on national
wide tv nets etc?

The major national networks show the late night news at the same time in
each zone--everybody watches the news at either 10 pm (on one network) or
11 pm (on another)--except Newfoundland, which, as mentioned, falls between
zones and sees everything on the half hour local time.
do you have to change your watches when moving
across Canada ??? Are there road signs that say You are now in new
time zone ????

Yes, you must change your watch. This is further complicated where I
live, since most of the country is on Daylight Savings Time, which means
you move your watch forward one hour in the spring, and back one hour in
the fall. Saskatchewan doesn't do this. (And this is a major political
issue!!) So, when I am trying to keep track of when to telephone my son,
for example, who lives one province over, I have to remember whether the
time there is the same, or one hour different, depending on the season of
the year.
I have never seen a road sign telling about a timezone change. If you fly,
the pilot will tell you what the local time is when you are landing. .
There was a book written fairly recently called Time Lord, telling the
story of Sir Sanford Fleming, who invented Standard Time. He was a Scotsmen
who came to Canada as a very young man, and worked as a railway surveyor
and engineer. He played a major role in building the Canadian Pacific
Railway--the railway to the Pacific shore--and as a result of this had to
think about the problem of time. Then each community set its own time by
where the sun was. Scheduling trains was chaotic. So he thought of a
system that would make time regular and predictable across large distances.
What he came up with is the basis of time zones as they are now used.
It is interesting to think that something we take for granted like this
system of time was invented by someone. Of course it had to be--but what a
creative mind that first came up with it!
Dawne

Old July 23rd 03, 04:02 PM
F.James Cripwell

(snip)"Dawne Peterson" ) writes:
[...]

As an addition to this, the reasonably successful attempt to make
the Canadian and USA time zones "meet" at the border was one of the very
first international agreements every completed.

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old July 23rd 03, 04:07 PM
Shstringfellow

most of the country is on Daylight Savings Time, which means
you move your watch forward one hour in the spring, and back one hour in
the fall. Saskatchewan doesn't do this. (And this is a major political
issue!!)

Same here in Indiana- the state is on two different time zones or doesn't
follow daylight savings- it's totally stupid when you are going to travel to
another part of the same state that you have to think whether they are on the
same time as you are!
SueS
Old July 23rd 03, 06:13 PM
Caryn

Same here in Indiana- the state is on two different time zones or doesn't
follow daylight savings

Somebody told me it's because it confuses the cows! ROFL

I really hope he was pulling my leg!

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)

AD - The time has come, the time is now... Kalera Stratton Beads 26 January 31st 05 01:34 AM
if you have time Charlie Beads 10 January 20th 05 10:32 PM
OT - Story: Time Flies Kathy N-V Beads 2 January 18th 05 05:25 PM
Panic Attack Time starlia Beads 76 March 14th 04 02:39 AM
Time to unlurk Lisa Caryl Beads 45 August 21st 03 06:48 PM