Where to look to start my own studio?

Old May 28th 04, 10:19 PM
Muuurgh

Default Where to look to start my own studio?

I just graduated school with an MFA in ceramics and I'd like to know where I
can look to learn about opening my own studio. Are there any websites that
may assist me? I want to have a couple electric kilns, a gas kiln and maybe
10 wheels or so. I also have to find the right facility to house these
items, do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Craig - Tulsa, OK

Old May 29th 04, 08:15 AM
Uncle John

"Muuurgh" wrote in
:

I just graduated school with an MFA in ceramics and I'd like to know
where I can look to learn about opening my own studio. Are there any
websites that may assist me? I want to have a couple electric kilns,
a gas kiln and maybe 10 wheels or so. I also have to find the right
facility to house these items, do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Craig - Tulsa, OK

I would suggest the first thing you do is write out a detailed business
plan, budgets and cost the whole project out. And ask yourself 'How much
do I want to make a year?" Do I have $20,000 - $40,000 of capital to put
into the business? If your project can not meet these expectations, Why
go ahead with it?

If you are still going ahead after you have done this, ask yourself "Who
is my target market?" What is my product range and is there a market for
it?'Once you have answered these you will know where to put your studio.

What you need to start with is a small workshop or a shared workshop, a
wheel and a kiln or hire kiln space and develop your line of pottery.

I'll ask you a question. How many potters do you know or know of who make
a living at their craft? The good people on this site will soon tell you.

John W

Old May 29th 04, 06:40 PM
Muuurgh

Actually the potter studio is in conjunction with a new art program at my
church. We are offering painting (watercolor, oil, acrylic), drawing,
pastel, drama, music (guitar, piano, drums, theory, comp. etc) We'd also
like to offer ceramics and printmaking (ceramics is my forte, so I need to
figure out at least some rental situation--eventually owning our own
facilities). I'm looking into renting studio space for the ceramics, but
the studios want to pay me as a teacher and take the students I bring in for
themselves, which isn't an option seeing that it is part of a larger
program. I am currently writing a budget for the whole program, high and
low end. I honestly don't think that we can afford to build a brand new
studio right off the bat but I will plug it any way, perhaps we can.

Where can I look for small business tips, where should I order supplies for
the school--Nasco, Dick Blick? Where should I purchase ceramics supplies?

Thanks,
Craig

"Uncle John" wrote in message
"Muuurgh" wrote in
:

Old May 29th 04, 09:28 PM
dkat

Why don't you start on the more simple side in the basement of your Church
(or some unused room)? Start with one electric kiln (vent and kiln
furniture), a slab roller and a couple of wheels. Use one base glaze
(http://digitalfire.ab.ca/cermat/index.php) that you can add some oxides to
for color. Start people off with handbuilding and work up as you get
established and find what your demands are. Contact you local college or
schools that have pottery and see where they order from.
http://bennettpottery.com/ has the least expensive equipment but for things
like wet clay and glaze materials you are better off with someone nearby.
You are lucky to have a distributor right in town. Would people in your
church be up to creating a small slab and raise a 'mini' barn for your kiln
room on church property?

Ceramic Cottage
748 South Wheeling
Tulsa, OK 74104
(918) 584-1580
Fax: (918) 561-8734

"Muuurgh" wrote in message
[...]

"Uncle John" wrote in message
"Muuurgh" wrote in
:

Old June 22nd 04, 11:11 PM
Bubbles

"dkat" wrote in message
. net...
Why don't you start on the more simple side in the basement of your Church
(or some unused room)? Start with one electric kiln (vent and kiln
furniture), a slab roller and a couple of wheels. Use one base glaze
(http://digitalfire.ab.ca/cermat/index.php) that you can add some oxides

for color. Start people off with handbuilding and work up as you get
established and find what your demands are.

-snip-

Having been a student with 3 different teachers over the past 3 years, I
want to just add a hearty YES! to the suggestion of starting more low-tech!

The first course was just for hand-building. Another was for both wheel or
hand-building, but of 6 different students, only 2 were really interested in
the wheel. At my latest course - of 4-5 different students I have seen over
the past half year (it is a drop-in-when-you-want course), I am the ONLY one
interested in the wheel. So definately see how the demand is before
investing in a whole lot of wheels!! .... and consider buying used wheels as
well. If people are just learning, they won't be turning 20-50 pounds of
clay at a time anytime soon :-)

Just my 2 bits

Marianne