Slipper soles

Old February 8th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Allison

Default Slipper soles

I have been looking for a source for soles for knitted or crocheted
slippers -- probably suede I'm thinking --

but the resources I'm seeing show them at over $12 a pair... or about $9 for
some non-leather ones.

I need them to be non-slip. And I can't pay that much money for little
hand-knitted gift slippers.

Any ideas? What does anyone else do?

Allie
Thanks in Advance

Old February 8th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cats

What about something like this?
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/jifgripbrnon.html

I stitch it onto the soles of my house socks so I can walk
safely on the pollished wood floors. Washes well, available
from many suppliers, often used by quilters so try those
type of shops as well.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

:

Old February 8th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I use , an old inside of a an old rain coat ,, cut out the form of a
foot turn the hairy inside to the outside [ thus it is non slippery ,
the Rain proof outside is inside under knitted part , thus wetness
doesn`t touch wool ,,,
Other ideas , old nylon socks , Towel material , Old bags , yes yes
your old worn out bag of any sort can be a wonderful source for Soles
,,,, mirjam

Old February 8th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Allison" wrote in message
I have been looking for a source for soles for knitted or crocheted
slippers -- probably suede I'm thinking --

but the resources I'm seeing show them at over $12 a pair... or about $9

for
some non-leather ones.

Allie, I had the same issue with ready made soles. I went to my local Value
Village (or you could try any old thrift shop) and bought a man's suede coat
for $10. I have already made soles for at least 6 pairs of slippers, with
lots of the coat left over for many more soles. One of the best purchases I
have made in a long time.

Shelagh

Old February 8th 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

Allie,

I have been looking for a source for soles for knitted or crocheted
slippers -- probably suede I'm thinking --

but the resources I'm seeing show them at over $12 a pair... or about $9 for
some non-leather ones.

I need them to be non-slip. And I can't pay that much money for little
hand-knitted gift slippers.

Some people have used non-slip bathtub stickers. They also make stick
on non-slip heel and toe stickers specifically for shoes, find them in
the grocery store where they keep odds n ends like sewing needles,
buttons, etc. They cost a little more than bathtub stickers.

I read online that someone uses silicon calking, the kind without
fungicide. She squeezes it on, spreads it with a popsicle stick, and
lets it dry. It's clear and gets dirty, but she said she doesn't mind
that.

Some use puffy fabric paint, dot it all over the sole where needed.

I've tried sewing on non-slip rubber mesh for putting down under rugs,
and it lasted as long as the slippers, about 2 years; they received
wear through the open mesh, so while I didn't slip, the slippers wore
out more quickly than I'd hoped.

Someone recommended PlastiDip, which is liquid latex you dip your tool
handles into. Just brush it on and let it dry. It's pricy, but I bet
one can would do several pairs of slippers.

I've seen people recommend NOT using Saf-T-Bak, brush on non-slip rug
backing. They said it's not good for things that move, and tends to
crack easily and needs to be re-applied often.

I've also got a foot of 1/16" thick rubber gasket and barge cement
from the hardware store. Rubber gasket is $7.99-$8.99 per foot, but
it should be hard wearing and protect really well against stickers and
rocks. I'm going to put it on my next pair of sandals for wearing
outdoors to try next summer. At my local Ace, it came in both rust
and white. I chose rust, because white will show dirt sooner.

HTH

Leah
Old February 8th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Some of my heavy house socks get a dab of "Shoe goo" under the heel and the
ball of the foot. It keeps me from sliding around on the kitchen floor and
it also dramatically prolongs the life of the sock which is why I stared
doing it. My socks wore out under the ball of my foot. Shoe goo is a clear,
viscous material that athletes use to repair gear such as running shoes and
wet suits. It dries to a firm flexible, plastic material that is not
slippery.

For nice house slippers, I would make a felted sole, stitch that to the
bottom of my knit slippers, then spread a layer of shoe goo on the bottom.

(Do this outside on a nice day. The stuff smells.)

Old February 9th 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"CATS" wrote in message
What about something like this?
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/jifgripbrnon.html

I stitch it onto the soles of my house socks so I can walk
safely on the pollished wood floors. Washes well, available
from many suppliers, often used by quilters so try those
type of shops as well.

You've given me an idea! Thank you :-)

Not what you suggested but it will work.

Mary

Old February 9th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Allison

Default Thank you , group! Slipper soles

Thank you for the thoughtful answers and for the time spent offering them.
I'll put my creativity cap on and try out some of these.

Thanks again, so much.

Allie

. net...

"Allison" wrote in message
I have been looking for a source for soles for knitted or crocheted
slippers -- probably suede I'm thinking --

but the resources I'm seeing show them at over $12 a pair... or about $9

for
some non-leather ones.

I need them to be non-slip. And I can't pay that much money for little
hand-knitted gift slippers.

Any ideas? What does anyone else do?

Allie
Thanks in Advance

Made slipper socks last night Leah Yarn 3 March 8th 06 08:18 PM
What do I do with Pre-punched slipper soles? Susie Yarn 2 November 4th 05 05:57 PM
Shillelagh - slipper soles Wooly Yarn 1 November 4th 04 07:20 AM
A slipper sole solution? Shillelagh Yarn 5 October 24th 04 03:27 PM
Any advice for crocheted slipper socks? Myka KS Yarn 7 October 10th 03 06:18 PM