crochet,knitting clubs in NYC

Old September 10th 04, 02:53 AM
Allan Adler

Default crochet,knitting clubs in NYC

I'm posting this in order to help a senior citizen who lives in NYC
and who can't use a computer. She's about 75, her brain works fine,
she does beautiful crochet work and knitting, and she lives in Manhattan,
in New York City, with her 86 year old husband, who is suffering from
dementia induced by a vitamin B12 deficiency that can't be corrected.
Since she is primarily responsible for taking care of him, and has
physical problems of her own, including osteoporosis and scoliosis,
this has severe implications for her social life.

I think she would like to connect with crochet and knitting clubs,
but she has to bring him along. It is probably possible to arrange
for someone he knows to come along and keep him company while she
socializes with the other people in the club. He doesn't drool and
is fairly congenial, but he can't remember that he is demented and
has to be watched carefully so that he doesn't just leave the premises
and get himself lost but good. The part of his brain that doesn't like
to be around a lot of old people still works fine but the part that
accepts it with good grace when such a situation arises doesn't.
So, something specifically directed at seniors is probably not
going to do the job. I don't know that there is anything that the
club members themselves would be specifically needed to do except
to be able to accept the situation and deal sensitively with it.
However, it would probably be necessary that there be enough space
and comfort so that he and the person keeping him company can
carry on the one thousandth rerun of a conversation about why
he gave up golf, the job he used to have and various recollections
about his friends and family, mostly deceased, how many more years
he will live, based on the lifespans of his other family members,
and related topics.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Old September 10th 04, 03:07 AM
Katherine

SOrry I can't help you, ALlan, as I don't live in NYC. BUt, if you do a
google search, you may find what you want.

Good luck!

Katherine

Old September 10th 04, 04:57 AM
Rusty1215

she does beautiful crochet work and knitting, and she lives in Manhattan,
in New York City

Allan, you must be a writer !

May I suggest that if there is a yarn shop nearby, that you might check there -
the local yarn shops usually have a good idea about knitting & crochet
activities in their area.

If you explain your situation to them as you did to us, I'm sure they'll be
able to help you.

Good luck - this is a real nice thing you are trying to do.

Rusty from CT
^(-.-)^
Dusty the ShiPoo
Old September 10th 04, 07:34 PM
JJMolvik

"Allan Adler" wrote in message

[...]

* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions

and
* comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near

Boston.

Try www.meetup.com and look under NYC and knitting or crocheting. I made
some great local connections in Seattle that way.

JJMolvik

Old September 10th 04, 08:28 PM
Laura J

You might check out some of the groups listed on this page. It is for New
York state so many will be irrelevant to you but it looks like there area a
couple of them in the city:

http://www.woolworks.org/guilds/ny.html

Here is a list for other states if anyone is interested:

http://www.woolworks.org/guilds.html

LauraJ