Looking for glaze recipe

Old June 14th 04, 07:24 PM
Scotty

Default Looking for glaze recipe

Does anyone have a recipe for Cone 6, electric kiln called
Butterscotch.
Thanks Kate
Scotty
Old June 15th 04, 12:29 PM
A&V

This is what google came up with:

+++ Butterscotch +++
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cone 6 oxidation and reduction
This one was posted on clayart a short while ago.
A white and tan mottled satin glaze at cone 6 in oxidation. In reduction
it has a softer sheen and the iron spots from the claybody look great
breaking through it.

Nepheline syenite 1784 22.3%
Whiting 1520 19 %
EPK 1512 18.9% Hazard!
Flint 2328 29.1% Hazard!
Gerstley borate 856 10.7%
-------- ------
8000 100 %

Superpax 400 5 %
Rutile 464 5.8%

Old June 15th 04, 08:42 PM
Scotty

Much appreciated, will give it a try
..............Kate

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:29:10 +0800, "A&V"
wrote:

This is what google came up with:

+++ Butterscotch +++
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cone 6 oxidation and reduction
This one was posted on clayart a short while ago.
A white and tan mottled satin glaze at cone 6 in oxidation. In reduction
it has a softer sheen and the iron spots from the claybody look great
breaking through it.

Nepheline syenite 1784 22.3%
Whiting 1520 19 %
EPK 1512 18.9% Hazard!
Flint 2328 29.1% Hazard!
Gerstley borate 856 10.7%
-------- ------
8000 100 %

Superpax 400 5 %
Rutile 464 5.8%

.. .

Old June 17th 04, 01:59 PM
Bob Masta

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:53:21 +1200, "annemarie"
wrote:

I have not heard of Superpax before! what is it?

Whirled peas? Seriously, it's an opacifier like
Zircopax and a few other -paxes. I think they all
use zirconium oxides, and all are supposed to
have about half the opacifying ability of tin oxide.
(That's from reading.... I haven't tested myself.)

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Old June 18th 04, 06:43 AM
Russell Andavall

Dear annemarie:
Superpax is Zircopax on steroids....
Seriously... its a Zirconium silicate that is about one third stronger than
Zircopax. You will have to test its strength in glazes. It is a basic
substitute for Zircopax. And Zircopax is a replacement for Tin Oxide. I find
that Superpax and Zicropax will make the glaze a lite pink tone that is a bit
matt when I substitute this for Tin Oxide...
Good luck.
Russ
www.firegodarts.com

Old June 18th 04, 07:28 AM
Uncle John

Russell Andavall wrote in
:

Dear annemarie:
Superpax is Zircopax on steroids....
Seriously... its a Zirconium silicate that is about one third stronger
than Zircopax. You will have to test its strength in glazes. It is a
basic substitute for Zircopax. And Zircopax is a replacement for Tin
Oxide. I find that Superpax and Zicropax will make the glaze a lite
pink tone that is a bit matt when I substitute this for Tin Oxide...
Good luck.
Russ

There really isn't a substitute for tin oxide. There may apacifiers but
they ain the same. Theres something soft about tin oxide in a glaze.

John W
Old June 21st 04, 12:08 AM
annemarie

"Uncle John" wrote in message
Russell Andavall wrote in
:

Dear annemarie:
Superpax is Zircopax on steroids....
Seriously... its a Zirconium silicate that is about one third stronger
than Zircopax. You will have to test its strength in glazes. It is a
basic substitute for Zircopax. And Zircopax is a replacement for Tin
Oxide. I find that Superpax and Zicropax will make the glaze a lite
pink tone that is a bit matt when I substitute this for Tin Oxide...
Good luck.
Russ

There really isn't a substitute for tin oxide. There may apacifiers but
they ain the same. Theres something soft about tin oxide in a glaze.

John W

Yeah well I know what we are talking about now ) I have tried Zircopax
and Tin Oxide and agree the tin has a softer less harsh effect.
Thanks for the replies.

Shea Butter Lanolin Hand Cream Recipe mypet General Crafting 0 November 15th 03 05:55 PM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM