Bernina 830

Old September 6th 03, 01:39 AM
Polly Esther

Default Bernina 830

I am wondering exactly what Vic means by the occasional leather project. Are
we taking fine grade soft leather and two thicknesses or something tougher?
My Bernina is a dear but she wouldn't put up with much in the way of
leather. I've tried a couple of times to take up soft leather belts up by
the buckle. You just don't want to know what the Bernina said about that. In
no uncertain terms. I move over to the Viking or Pfaff for leather and even
for denim if we're talking really heavy. Polly

From: TerriLee in WA
Subject: Purchase advise sought
Date: Friday, September 05, 2003 11:35 AM

I don't have an 830, but I have the slightly newer 930 model. I love my
930, it sews everything from chiffon to quilts to denim, with nary a
problem. It's only needed shop time once in the whole 20+ years I've
had it. I say go get the 830, that's a decent price.

wrote:

Hello,

My wife is just starting in to quilting and I do the occasional leather
project. Presently we have a Singer Imperial 7000 (Princess) circa mid
1980's and one of those old black Singers from 1952.

They both function O.K., but a friend at work suggested that a Bernina is

really good machine. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Bernina 830
from a local Bernina dealer this Saturday for about US$600 with a one year
warranty.

I was wondering if anyone in this group could give me some idea, if going
with the old Bernina seems to be a reasonable course of action, or should

be looking to acquire a brand new machine like the Singer Quantum Stylist
for about US$800.

Thanks in advance to all who may reply. Your response is appreciated.

Vic

--
TerriLee Bishop
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)

Old September 6th 03, 02:08 AM
Polly Esther

I have no idea why this shows up as a new post. We all know there's a screw
loose at my controls. I guess that pretty much covers it. Yllop

ink.net...

Old September 6th 03, 11:18 AM
Roberta Zollner

Once worked in a costume shop. The director (a truly evil designer) decided
to outfit the cast of Henry V in leather doublets. Quilted over foam. Even
though we had a special machine for leather, we all learned a whole new
vocabulary of curse words. Our regular Vikings certainly weren't up to such
stuff, even though they normally didn't balk at anything.
Roberta in D

Old September 6th 03, 02:19 PM
Polly Esther

I'll bet I've heard those words. I went to a neighboring office in the
courthouse to get my signature certified. I signed the papers and asked a
sweet little old lady to swear at the papers. You may have never read it and
don't care but the procedure generally goes " I do solemnly swear that the
person whose signature appears herein . . ."
Boy! she let out a stream of words that singed the documents. I laughed
and cried. Thereafter, I just asked her to certify. Didn't want that old
girl setting any records on fire. Polly

Old September 6th 03, 08:12 PM
Nell Reynolds

My father, who did NOT swear, once told about Henry Jones, deacon in the
local church. Brother Jones was a witness in a trial. Told to swear to the
truth of what he was about to tell, he said he did not swear.
"But Brother Jones, this is the court. You have to swear!"
So Brother Jones said, "Damned if it ain't so."

Nell in court

Old September 6th 03, 10:06 PM
Polly Esther

Thank you, Nell. I'll remember that. Polly

Nell Reynolds wrote in message
[...]

Bernina Gourmet sewing Diane Carter Quilting 0 September 5th 03 10:42 PM
Bernina 830 Sylvia Quilting 0 September 5th 03 04:13 PM
WTB: Bernina foot control John B Marketplace 0 September 3rd 03 01:07 AM
bernina, walking foot, skipped stitches Musicmaker Quilting 7 August 25th 03 08:03 AM
Bernina 807 Shona in NZ Quilting 6 July 15th 03 10:06 AM