Do SOMETHING new

Old January 1st 11, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Do SOMETHING new

I guess I'm getting too many peculiar offers in the spam trash I'm letting
through and not suggesting that you get a university degree by mail or send
the balance in your savings account to some prince in Ballawongabanga. What
I'm wanting you to do in our Happy New Year is DO something you've always
wanted to do or at least try.
No bungee jumping. No spelunking ( is that the word for diving in a
cave?)
No resolutions to lose 500 pounds, quit chewing your toenails or love
your sister-in-law.
Have you ever yearned to create a Baltimore Album? do curves? conquer
paper-piecing or abandon squares/triangles and go 'artsy/crazy' just once?
I think I'll do a miniature. Always wanted to give it a try. ( Pat on
her Green will faint dead-away.)
What have you always wanted to do but put it off? If you want to ride a
mule down into the Grand Canyon or have a shot at a fine Lone Star in colors
'you' love, let's go for it. Happy New Year. Let's just wallow in the
opportunities. Polly .... off to find my lighted magnifying glass

Old January 1st 11, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I'm going to do some charity quilts, and actually work on my courtroom
series [little pieces no bigger than 14"x14"] for the tabletop quilt
stand.

Ginger in CA

Old January 1st 11, 11:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jeri

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I guess I'm getting too many peculiar offers in the spam trash I'm
letting through and not suggesting that you get a university degree by
mail or send the balance in your savings account to some prince in
Ballawongabanga. What I'm wanting you to do in our Happy New Year is DO
something you've always wanted to do or at least try.

snip

This is going to be a great thread!
I'm going to beat down my fear of ruining a quilt and finally try free
motion quilting.
HAPPY 2011!
~*~
Jeri

Old January 1st 11, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Polly, I was at the Grand Canyon a few years ago and decided to ride the
mules to the bottom and found out our party of 4 had to have made
reservations 2 years in advance. So THAT is one of the more difficult
things to do!
Barbara in FL

Old January 1st 11, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Do something small first, Jeri.
The worst thing about free-motioning a quilt for the first time is
probably the hassle trying to get it through and back and through again
under the harp, rather than the actual stitching. Even with a larger
harp it is difficult, though not as bad. In fact, with no turning
(well, not much) you might find it easier.
May I suggest that as well as trying a practice sandwich, made with two
pieces of fabric and batting, that you try something pieced, so that you
have the experience of going over and around seams..
I foresee a few placemats and table-runners in your future!
..
In message , Jeri
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old January 1st 11, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

For me, Polly, that will entail actually doing some sewing. I have had
a year with practically no quilt-making sewing at all: curtains etc,
yes! So, the sooner I get my table clear; brush out the fluff from
sundries, and get a couple of designs on the board, the happier I will
be.
I hope 'new' after a year (or more) does count.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

Old January 1st 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 22:38:52 -0600, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

[...]

What a great idea Polly. Maybe I'll try a paper pieced miniature.

Maueen

Old January 1st 11, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr

On Dec 31 2010, 9:38*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

I want to do something using my selvedges I've been collecting, do an
X-block quilt and learn to use my serger. I got the serger for
Christmas last year and have yet to try it.
I practiced my free-motion quilting on charity quilts. I'm still not
good by any means, but I will keep trying when I have a project that
I'm not too picky about.
Old January 1st 11, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Good Morning Polly

You got me to thinking about a couple UFO's I've had hanging around
for a while. I started a TATW and never finished it because I was
using the quilt as you go method. Got so frustrated and tossed it in
the UFO box. Starting today I am going to unstitch it all and start
over. I started an Ohio Star (king size), got the top finished and
started hand quilting. After all these years its still not finished.
Think I'll take it apart and start over. Its big enough to redo it as
two twin quilts. Think I will donate them to the Jacob's Well rehab
center. And my Hunters Star in lavender, pink and white. It laying in
its plastic box waiting for me to finish putting it together. This
shoud keep me busy this year. And if I get all this finished before
the year ends, think I'll try trapunto.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old January 1st 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_7_]

Thanks for giving us something to think about! After seeing Sandy's
miniature Storm at Sea, I'm tempted to buy the kit and make one myself.
That'd be two new things: a miniature and a kit! I also plan to make a
Quilt of Valor - I've been quilting them for others to donate, but
haven't made one myself. And last, I want to overcome my fear of Judy
Niemeyer patterns and make a table runner. Joan in NE showed us one
several years ago that she had made for display in the LQS, and I fell
in love with it. I bought the pattern, and it went into hiding shortly
after that. I have promised myself I'll meet the challenge of buying the
fabric and creating at least one runner from it this year!

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com