HELP!! Dead mouse odor

Old October 20th 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default HELP!! Dead mouse odor

I haven't been into my fabric storage area in the sauna in a few days.
When I walked into the sauna tonight, I was hit in the face with the
unmistakable smell of dead mouse. Groan. I'm leaving Thursday morning
very early for Phoenix. I have things to do all day tomorrow. That
means when I come back sometime before midnight Monday night that I
will still have dead mouse in the sauna. Obviously I have to pull
every tiny thing out of there and find the dead one and make sure
there are no live ones. But then what? How do I get that horrid smell
out of the wood, out of my fabric.

That area is where I store my tiny stash of silk, velvet, etc. The
really good stuff. Not to mention my batting.

Any suggestions? I really do not want to wash every piece of fabric in
there. Some of it would have to be dry cleaned. Gah. I'm really
disgusted by the smell, which is now creeping out of the sauna since I
opened the door for a few minutes.

Has this happened to anybody? Know of any stink ridding products? Will
my fabric have to be burned??

Help,
Sunny
Old October 20th 10, 05:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

You need a cat. I'd get everything out of there asap.
Maybe put it on tables out in the garage and sprinkle
around baking soda or maybe kitty litter? Since cats
came into my life I don't see mice. Good luck with the mess. I hope the
fabrics will be ok.
Taria

Old October 20th 10, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 19, 11:46*pm, Sunny wrote:
[...]

I don't know if it will definitely work, but I'd try some Nature's
Miracle or equiv.
I've found it works on a variety of biological odors besides pet
excreta.

Remove what you can, and cover as much of the rest as practical to
prevent odor from penetrating while you're gone.
Old October 20th 10, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

When I had a rat terrier, mice never got into the house. Or yard. He
was fearless in pursuit of anything mousy. I can't have a cat. I'm
violently allergic. And I can't stand them. Really, cats are fine in
other people's houses. Except I get sick when I go to someone's house
who has cats. But mostly I am a dog person. Cats ... not so much.

Sunny
really missing my little Angus
Old October 20th 10, 10:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

At first read, I saw "dead Moose odor" and felt extremely grateful it
wasn't me. Still feel grateful -a mouse is a lot harder to find in
your sauna! This might be a real test for Febreeze. But maybe just
hanging it all up outdoors for a few hours would do the trick.
Good luck!
Roberta in D

Old October 20th 10, 12:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

There used to be a product I got in CVS Drugstore, or maybe Walgreens that
definitely would take care of the ordor long enough to find and eliminate
the problem. I have my freezer out in the storage room and once put a
package of chicken up on a shelf while I straightened up the freezer. This
was in the summer and it was 3 days before I went back into the storage room
and found out that I had NOT put the chicken back into the freezer..
The product comes in a small bottle about 3 inches long. Sure hope you can
find some of this stuff! Maybe burning a candle will help with your
problem.
Barbara in FL.
"

Old October 20th 10, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

The smell only lasts a relatively short time - then it is the maggots
and flies that are the problem!!! Nasty to think about but still a
fact. If the mouse is in the sauna, then you will have to remove your
fabric items, prop open the sauna door and consider using one of the
many industrial strength odour eliminators on the market..there are
bio-degradable and environmentally friendly products available under
various brand names by mail order.
There was a knock on my door one day: it was the superintendant of my
building asking about the aroma of 'dead' animal.....when he realized
that all were still alive inside my apartment, he checked out the
ceiling light above my door...took out his handy industrial spray and
shot it up into the cavity...no more aroma. I admit that his brand
was not 'healthy' for my sensitivities but it soon dissipated.
jennellh

Old October 20th 10, 01:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 20, 12:14*am, "Dr. Zachary Smith"
wrote:
On Oct 19, 11:46*pm, Sunny wrote:

[...]

prevent odor from penetrating while you're gone.- Hide quoted text -

That should have been "cover as much of the rest as practical WITH
PLASTIC..."
Hooboy yesterday was rough...
Old October 20th 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I think you need professional help. Heck. We all need professional help but
this one is an emergency. Call around and see if there's an exterminator
who will have mercy on you. Besides protecting a substantial investment in
stash, you need to know stuff like 'why' and 'how' do you have a dead mouse?
Polly

Old October 20th 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Yeah, maybe you could burn that candle in church, and pray the problem goes
away!!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Strange odor in fun foam MB Quilting 7 February 13th 08 02:58 PM
OT Thank you Ms, Anony Mouse Dawn in Alberta Quilting 3 October 6th 06 08:10 AM
OT frozen mouse Christina Peterson Beads 13 September 23rd 05 08:16 PM
A Magic Mouse Christina Peterson Beads 4 June 18th 04 01:45 PM
Yarn odor CHEX Yarn 33 November 14th 03 06:48 PM