OT but too funny!!!!

Old June 10th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default OT but too funny!!!!

On Jun 9, 9:05*pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Mystified One" wrote in message

news
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4...wnridgewl9.jpg

Best be careful how you word things...

How long has 'word' been a verb?

Mary

I remember that USE as long as i speak English ,,,
mirjam
Old June 10th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jun 9, 11:11*pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Richard Eney" wrote in message

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mystified One" wrote

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4...wnridgewl9.jpg

Best be careful how you word things...

How long has 'word' been a verb?

Quite a long time according to the O.E.D.
The first entry is dated 1205, and

As a verb???

by 1836 it is used in the current sense
as Mystified One used it.

Not in England.

Mary

AHHH? So how come my ENGLISH relative uses it regulary ?
mirjam
Old June 10th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply[_2_]

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Mystified One" wrote in message
news
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4...wnridgewl9.jpg

Best be careful how you word things...

How long has 'word' been a verb?

PRobably for as long as "phrase" has been used as a verb. ANd that
means basically the same thing.
Old June 10th 08, 10:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Richard Eney" wrote
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mystified One" wrote

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4...wnridgewl9.jpg

Best be careful how you word things...

How long has 'word' been a verb?

Quite a long time according to the O.E.D.
The first entry is dated 1205, and

As a verb???

Yes. The section in the O.E.D. for "word (verb)"
is not quite as long as the separate section for
"word (noun)" but it's of significant length.

by 1836 it is used in the current sense
as Mystified One used it.

Not in England.

In 1205 America hadn't been discovered yet.
The O.E.D. is the Oxford English Dictionary;
when a usage is American it is specified.
In 1737 Alexander Pope used it in a letter
to Addison, referring to a quotation "as
Shakespeare words it".

=Tamar
Old June 10th 08, 10:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Richard Eney" wrote
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Mystified One" wrote

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4...wnridgewl9.jpg

Best be careful how you word things...

How long has 'word' been a verb?

Quite a long time according to the O.E.D.
The first entry is dated 1205, and

As a verb???

Yes.

by 1836 it is used in the current sense
as Mystified One used it.

Not in England.

It was earlier: 1713, Alexander Pope,
letter to Addison 14 Dec: "as Shakespeare
finely words it".

=Tamar
Old June 10th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Richard Eney wrote:

It was earlier: 1713, Alexander Pope,
letter to Addison 14 Dec: "as Shakespeare
finely words it".

Sorry about the double post.

=Tamar
Old June 10th 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Richard Eney wrote:

It was earlier: 1713, Alexander Pope,
letter to Addison 14 Dec: "as Shakespeare
finely words it".

Sorry about the double post.

No matter. But I think you should perhaps get out more :-)

=Tamar

Old June 10th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Richard Eney wrote:

It was earlier: 1713, Alexander Pope,
letter to Addison 14 Dec: "as Shakespeare
finely words it".

Sorry about the double post.

No matter. But I think you should perhaps get out more :-)

=Tamar- Hide quoted text -

????????????????????????????????????? What are You speaking about
Mary ???? I think Tamar gave us an excellent explanation ,,,, Thank
you TAMAR !!!!
mirjam
Old June 11th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mystified One[_3_]

Thank goodness! I was afraid I had "verbed" a noun for a minute there!

"Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Old June 11th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mystified One wrote:
Thank goodness! I was afraid I had "verbed" a noun for a minute there!

I do medical transcription, and doctors do it all the time -- "The
patient was [medication]ized," "The patient was [procedure]ized." Bleagh.

funny, funny knit site! myswendy Yarn 11 May 20th 07 02:18 AM
OT - LOL This is funny... MRH Yarn 8 January 17th 06 02:19 PM
Funny, funny bead rules susiegibson Beads 6 October 21st 04 05:37 AM