Do I need to prewash satin for baby quilt?

Old February 10th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MaleQuilter

Default Do I need to prewash satin for baby quilt?

I have prewashed and starched my flannel for some charity baby quilts
but am unsure about what to do about prewashing the satin for the
binding.

Also, should the satin binding be single or double fold?

Jerry in North Alabama

Old February 10th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

The purchased baby blankies my boys used (with satin bindings) had single fold satin -- and it wore
VERY QUICKLY.

I would advocate double -- just because it gets lots of wear and tear and loving (and often twirled
around fingers... sucked on.....)

Kate in MI

oups.com...

Old February 10th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

What about using that cotton backed satin that is often
used for nightgowns? I've wondered about applying that
in the same way I do cotton binding, but cutting it
wider. PAT

Old February 10th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Tried making my own satin doublefold binding once, used flannel-backed
cotton sateen -the stuff ravels like crazy. I did not prewash (even though
everything else gets washed). But if there's ever a next time, I would
definitely zigzag the raw edges after folding the binding strip, and before
applying to the quilt. Didn't see any shrinkage in the binding after washing
the finished project though.
Roberta in D

oups.com...

Old February 10th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY

I used the flannel backed satin for the binding on my flannel baby
quilt, I used a double fold cut the lengthwise of the grain. I soaked it
in hot water and tossed it in the dryer before cutting, that stuff does
ravel quite a lot. But the baby just loves it, and it seems fairly
sturdy so far, though only a few months old, it has been washed and
dried at least 4 or 5 times.

Judie in Penfield NY

Old February 10th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

The only time I used a satin binding, I bought the packaged satin
binding. I have never thought about using regular satin fabric for
binding. If I were doing it, I would buy a good quality polyester satin.
I don't think it would have to be prewashed, because a woven polyester
generally doesn't shrink. I would use a double fold binding and I would
make it wider than I usually do with cotton binding. Polyester is
durable; if the seams are sewn securely, the quilt will probably wear
out before the binding does. I have replaced the binding on a purchased
blanket; it seems those bindings are pretty cheaply done. But I have
never had to replace one that I had re-done.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 11th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TerriLee in WA \(state\)

What about cutting the strips somewhat wider than needed, and running the
edges through the serger before applying? (and I wash *everything* that
comes into the stash).
--
TerriLee in WA (state)
remove the cats to reply