Newbie here...

Old February 10th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nitengale

Default Newbie here...

Hello all,
I have started reading the Jennifer Chiaverini books... The Quilter's
Apprentice, Round Robin... and have fallen in love and want to start a
new hobby. So here I go... always wanted to try quilting and this
series has been the inspiration I needed. Now my dilemma... which
pattern do I start with? I went on line and found a local shop that
offered free patterns to download and I found several that I really
liked; my favorite being the castle wall pattern. In "Apprentice"
Sarah started with a sampler quilt... would that be my best bet or
find a pattern I like and go with that? There are so many questions to
consider... color pallet, size, etc... I am so excited and my brains
are smoking with so many new ideas... I can't wait to get started.
Also looking for a beginner's class in the Northern Virginia area...
Hope to be talking to lots of you ...
Wanda

Old February 10th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

Do you have any sewing experience? Do you plan to sew your blocks my machine... or by hand?

Sometimes is it a good idea to start with a sampler because a well designed beginner sampler will
allow you to develop many of the fundamental skills necessary in becoming a successful quiltmaker.
The castle wall pattern is very nice -- but getting all those points to match will be quite the
challenge for a beginning quilter.

A few beginner patterns include:

Log Cabin
Rail Fence
Four Patch alternating with solid or snowball blocks
Warm Wishes (looks MUCH more difficult than it is).

I would probably try to stick with straight piecing of blocks/rectangles for your first quilt --
unless you are a real dare-devil. Dealing with triangles and points and bias edges... takes some
skill and much patience.

You might check the local quilt shops in your area to see if they are offering a beginning
quiltmaking class. (Sometimes -- even Joann's offers them.) This would be a good way to work with
others, meet others, learn some tips and tricks in starting and finishing your first quilt.

Good Luck!

Kate in MI

ups.com...

Old February 10th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article . com,
"nitengale" wrote:

[...]

Welcome, Wanda! What pattern to start with? Hmmm...I think Castle Wall
may be a bit tricky for a newbie, especially if you don't have a
background in sewing -- which, of course, I don't know that you don't
have. G I like starting with a sampler, since then you won't get bored
with a single pattern. You can, alternatively, start with a single
pattern. However, if you decide halfway through that you're bored or
don't like it anymore, you'll run the risk of quitting.

As for color palette, choose colors you really like, since you'll be "up
close and personal" with them for some time. G Choose a range of
shades of your colors: some darks, some lights, some mediums. Do the
same for the prints you choose; variety is good, so choose some small
prints, some a bit larger, some a bit larger still, depending on the
scale of the pieces you'll be working with. Also, don't choose all the
same *sort* of print (all pindots, for example).

A beginner class will be a very good thing, since the instructor will be
able to answer questions as you go -- though we'll try to do so, too.
G How do you plan to do this first quilt? Piecing/appliqué by hand? by
machine? a bit of both? Will you hand or machine quilt the finished
product? There are some fun decisions to be made!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old February 10th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nitengale

HI,
Thanks for the suggested quilts... never heard of warm wishes but it
sounds interesting. Also thanks for the Jo-Anne suggestion...never
thought about that one and have one close to home!
Can't wait to get started... think I'm gonna try the block style first
until I can into a points class.
Nitengale

Old February 10th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Hello Wanda, welcome to our group!

One of the popular places to go for patterns is:

http://www.quilterscache.com/

Prepare to spend awhile researching the patterns. The directions are all
very good, from beginner to way, way past my level.

Hope you enjoy this group as much as I do. They are very helpful.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old February 10th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle

Hi Wanda,

Choosing a pattern somewhat depends on your sewing skills. If you are an
accomplished seamstress, it might be okay to start with a pattern that's a
little tougher. Bear in mind that matching multiple points or those with Y
seams can be a bit tricky. I probably wouldn't recommend patterns with
those features as a starting point for anyone.

There is much to recommend doing a sampler in the beginning. It gives you a
chance to try different blocks and find out which ones you enjoy making.
Likewise, if you come against a block that you just can't get to work, you
haven't invested a lot of time, energy and fabric into the project. You
wouldn't want to buy a lot of fabric with the idea of using one particular
block only to find that you don't enjoy making it, or it's too difficult
etc. If you do have your heart set on doing a quilt using one block
pattern, I would recommend trying to make the block before committing to the
whole project.

I don't know whether you intend to piece your blocks by hand or machine, but
I do find that I can handle more difficult patterns if I sew them by hand.

As for color, that's the fun part. :-)

Welcome to the group! Keep us apprised of your progress.
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

Old February 10th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

The Warm Wishes pattern can be found here... at no cost. It is all straight line piecing --
squares & rectangles so not too terrible to piece.

http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt4/

:-)

Kate in MI

oups.com...

Old February 10th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Welcome! Here is a link to the Warm wishes pattern
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt4/. There are lots of good block
patterns at http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html. The
ones with one pin by their name are the easiest.

I think one of the Quilt in a Day books are good for beginners because
the instructions are very detailed and easy to follow. Irish Chain, Rail
Fence, Log Cabin are all good beginner quilts.

Someone mentioned a class at a quilt shop or fabric store. Sometimes
community education also has beginning quilting classes.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 10th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Hullo Wanda, and welcome.
You have a wonderful time ahead of you - it's great to 'feel' your
steaming enthusiasm from here!
I think what you start with depends very much on whether you are going
to go to a class or are going to work from books/patterns etc.
A sampler *is* great, in one way, because you meet a lot of techniques
in a very short time. But, I think it would be best doing one of those
in a class - or at least with some one-to-one help. That is because, if
you are doing it by yourself, you might not be able to spot patterns
which are a bit awkward. In the book, Sarah started with a sampler
quilt, but she had lots of personal direction.
I really do think it is great to start with something that will build
your confidence, rather than challenge it! As others have suggested, I
would suggest sticking with squares, rectangles, strips etc until you
have mastered the arts of cutting, sewing a perfect/good quarter inch
seam, and putting pieces/blocks together. A good foundation in learning
always stands you in good stead.
Triangles add a marvellous dimension to quilts, but they introduce the
element of bias to the task, and you might be better getting your basic
skills 'solid' before including them.

On the other hand, if you see a pattern that you love above all things,
that is a fun way to start. But, if it turns out to be a bit too
difficult, set it aside for later, and try something more
straightforward.

Skills like colour choice will be developed as you go along. Start with
colours you love, as Sandy said. Also it is never too early to become
aware of the question of value: basically, light, medium and dark - but
also the subtle grades within those three levels. You will get
accustomed to this gradually, but just be aware of it right from the
start.
Good luck and have fun.
..
In message . com,
nitengale writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 10th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Welcome Wanda! A class is a great idea, provides both practical help and
incentive to get through any frustrating bits you may run into. But if you
can't find a class, look for a good book (Quilters Complete Guide by Fons
and Porter or Carol Doak's 1st Quilt Book are both good). Just don't ever
let yoursef get discouraged. There will alwys be people better at it than
you and people worse at it, but you are the ONLY one who can make YOUR
quilts. Enjoy the process as much as the results.
Roberta in D

"nitengale" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

newbie question - quilting costs Kay Ahr Quilting 16 February 14th 06 11:58 AM
Hello from a Newbie D Rutter Quilting 20 December 12th 04 12:06 AM
newbie with a tatting question FtForger Yarn 6 July 1st 04 06:18 PM
sort of a newbie with a question Jean Early Yarn 27 May 19th 04 11:42 PM
newbie hugs Musicmaker Quilting 3 March 13th 04 07:15 PM