Help with tiny pieces

Old February 7th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

Default Help with tiny pieces

I just sorted my scraps this weekend and am planning to make a sampler out
of some of the. I have choosen my BH&G 501 Quilt Blocks Book to use to
make blocks for it. The blocks are all 4 in. finished and I've decided I
want to leave them that size rather than scalling them up. Problem is some
of them I'd like to do have very tiny pieces (ie. flying geese 1/2 by 1 in.
and some even smaller, etc. ). I will probably paper piece them because I'd
go nuts trying to do it with out. My problem is I don't know how to handle
the seam allowances on those tiny pieces. If I use 1/4 seam, some of the
pieces are so small I'm affraid the seam allowances will create issues.

So, those of you who do miniautre quilts, or even just blocks with tiny
pieces how do you handle those seam allowances to minimize bulk and to have
things lay and look nice? Any think else to keep in mind when working with
tiny pieces?

TIA!
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old February 7th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
monique

Charlotte, easy peasy! Sew 1/4" seams so that the material behaves
properly under your presser foot. Then trim the seams to a very scant
1/8" You will amaze yourself at what you can make!

In making up the quilt, you won't want a thick batting with all those
little seams. A layer of flannel is probably plenty, or you will end up
with something as stiff as a potholder!

Monique "I likes me some bitsy pieces" in TX

Old February 7th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Some things I sew big and then trim down. Like say a four patch. If I
want a four patch with 1/8" squares it would be a nightmare to cut a
5/8" squares and try and sew them together. BUT...I can cut something
like 1 1/2" squares, sew the four patch and then trim out the center to
the finished size I want. Same with half square triangle blocks.

Other times that doesn't work....then I use "leaders and ender" or an
"anchor piece" otherwise called a "spider" or probably other things.
Use a small piece of fabric and sew it; leave it attached to the thread;
then feed in the pieces you want to sew. This prevents little edges
from getting sucked down into the depths of your sewing machine. If
your machine has a single needle hole plate definitely use that.

Press your pieces as usual and then trim the seam allowance down to
1/8". It's darn hard to sew that size seam but it really helps with the
bulk issue if you trim after pressing. Some seams I will press open,
but press open first then trim because it's not fun to try and press
open a 1/8" seam.

marcella

Old February 7th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Don't stress about seam allowances, Charlotte.
Piece as normal, with quarter inch seams, and then trim them. If you
wish to be super cool, you can trim each side of the seam to a different
width, to reduce bulk. That is only necessary where any seam bulk will
affect a corner, or some such. I hardly ever have to trim below the
quarter inch.
One other thing to consider, which I am thinking of more and more (as I
go smaller!) is hand piecing. One which I am about to re-draw at its
correct size and with everything measured and techniques decided -
working drawings and strategies - I am thinking I might do almost
entirely by hand. It does have curves in it, which did affect my
decision, but I'm thinking it is a sensible consideration for any
miniatures in the future. I'll have to see how I get on.
If you can, in context, work with pieces as large as possible. This
means that foundation paper piecing is a good option, where it will
work. It will seem as though you are wasting a lot - but remember how
small everything is anyway.
I am about half way through my Dear Jane, with its 4.5" blocks, and so
far nothing has been dramatically small. I just finished a 3" sampler
quilt, with the same conclusion. One quilt I have is full of 1" and
1.5" blocks - all possible/do-able.
So, be encouraged and don't take fright.
..
In message , Charlotte Hippen
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 7th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

If you plan to trim the seam allowance back to like 1/8" -- I would set my stitch length smaller
(tighter) so there would be less chance of raveling.

Kate in MI

Old February 8th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Charlotte Hippen" wrote:

[...]

Trimming your seam allowances down to 1/8", as has been suggested, is
even easier to do if you get the Add-an-Eighth ruler. It allows you to
line up your seam along the "lip" and trim along the edge, leaving you
with a perfect 1/8" seam allowance.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old February 8th 07, 10:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

BTDT :-) The blocks generally go together well. Start with the simpler ones
to get your sense of scale down a notch. Trim big seams down. Make block
units like HSTs bigger and trim down. (You get through lots of scraps that
way.) One thing I found useful for this book was to make a square plastic
template to fit a third of 4", plus seam allowances. Helps to keep all the
9-patch grid blocks accurate without fiddly measuring every time.
Roberta in D

Old February 8th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

yep me too - it can be done!

the fun part comes when you finish this and them go do a 12 inch block - the
pieces will seen *ginormous*

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)

Old February 8th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

Glad you added that bit about the batting. I wouldn't have figured that out
on my own. Thanks for the help!

Old February 8th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
Some things I sew big and then trim down. Like say a four patch. If I
want a four patch with 1/8" squares it would be a nightmare to cut a
5/8" squares and try and sew them together. BUT...I can cut something
like 1 1/2" squares, sew the four patch and then trim out the center to
the finished size I want. Same with half square triangle blocks.

I have already planed to do some of this. I have some aprox. 3/4 in HST I
made from flying geese leftovers and figure I could trim them down to the
size I need when I make my blocks I'll have to remember I can do this with
other pieces as well.

Other times that doesn't work....then I use "leaders and ender" or an
"anchor piece" otherwise called a "spider" or probably other things.
Use a small piece of fabric and sew it; leave it attached to the thread;
then feed in the pieces you want to sew. This prevents little edges
from getting sucked down into the depths of your sewing machine.

I am planning to paper piece many of the tiny ones, but I'll keep this in
mind for the ones I don't.

If
your machine has a single needle hole plate definitely use that.

Don't have one, but perhaps I should check into getting one when I get my
machine cleaned. The can't be that expensive and it would be handy when
sewing large triangles too.

Press your pieces as usual and then trim the seam allowance down to
1/8". It's darn hard to sew that size seam but it really helps with the
bulk issue if you trim after pressing.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Some seams I will press open,
but press open first then trim because it's not fun to try and press
open a 1/8" seam.

I didn't think of pressing open to help with bulk. Good thing you metioned
to press before cutting. You saved me the trouble of learning it the hard
way.

Thanks for the help Marcella!