I made a quilted furnace thermometer (???)

Old February 11th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default I made a quilted furnace thermometer (???)

It all started late Thursday afternoon. The NSDH (Not So Dear Hubby-
you'll understand why shortly... VBG) said the president of our
church congregation emailed that she needed the "thermometer" by
Sunday morning. Huh? Then he said he forgot to ask Kim (his DD) to
make a "furnace thermometer" for our church. HUH??? Now, Kim is a
great gal and has many talents, but I don't think she does furnace
repairs! (Our church's furnace is very old and has been on it's last
legs for several years. Hubby and another gentleman are constantly
making repairs to keep it limping along- and parts for it are getting
harder to find.)

It was like pulling hen's teeth, but I finally got the whole story
from him... he had volunteered his DD to make a "thermometer" to mark
the monetary contributions the church receives towards the cost of
replacing our decrepit ol' furnace. Kim works full time plus a lot of
overtime, has a 3 y.o. son and a DH... I'm sure she would not
apprciate being asked to produce this thermometer on such short notice
on one of her very busy weekends. So.... I "volunteered" to make
it..... Since my medium of choice is fabric and thread over poster
board and markers, I told that NSDH of mine that I would quilt a
"furnace thermometer" for our church. I work all day on Saturdays,
which means I had only Thursday evening and Friday to design and make
this "thermometer"--- hence the Not-So-Dear part.

So, I have made a "Quilted Furnace Thermometer"! Here's proof- LOL!
(It's a simple quickie wallhanging using Heat & Bond Ultra and only
the background area is quilted.)

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...57568468xEPnle

Leslie (VERY tired! And The Hunky Mr. Collins is now *out* of the
doghouse) & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 11th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

VERY NICE~!~~ So much more than just a thermometer!!

How do you "raise the temperature"?

Kate in MI

Old February 11th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
witchystitcher

beautiful!

On 10 Feb 2007 18:39:27 -0800, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

So, I have made a "Quilted Furnace Thermometer"! Here's proof- LOL!
(It's a simple quickie wallhanging using Heat & Bond Ultra and only
the background area is quilted.)

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...57568468xEPnle

Leslie (VERY tired! And The Hunky Mr. Collins is now *out* of the
doghouse) & The Furbabies in MO.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY
Old February 11th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Kate-

I had to get creative... I guess that's what you could call it??? I
printed out a table with the dollar amounts on my computer, enclosed
it in clear, self-adhesive shelf paper (a low-tech, inexpensive,
quilter's version of laminating!!! VBG!) and glued the black fabric
frame with H&B Ultra on the back of the fabric (which only overlaped
the laminated table by 1/4 in. on the inside edges)- I glued the frame
to the table just around that inside overlapped edge. Then I fused
the outside edge of the frame to the background. My red Sharpie
marker writes on the clear shelf paper and you can see the numbers
thru the red ink, so we can use the Sharpie to "raise the temperature"
as the donations come in.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Kate in MIhttp://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves
--

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in glegroups.com...

[...]

doghouse) & The Furbabies in MO.- Hide quoted text -

Old February 11th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna

A lot more creative then I would have done on such short notice, very
wonderful, even hubby liked it.
Take Care
Joanna
remove quilt to reply

Old February 11th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
oldhag

That's cool Leslie, I think there's a pun in there somewhere.Now how
are you at making strike posters?. Hubby and I have been making them all
day. He 's walking the picket line now. -40 here tonight....poor guy.
Donna inNWONtario

Old February 11th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article om,
[...]

My goodness, Leslie! I can't imagine coming up with something so nice on
such short notice! You did a *great* job on that. What are you using to
increase the "temperature" on the thermometer as contributions go up?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old February 11th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That hunky Mr. COllins better realize how lucky he is ; )
You did a fantastic job Leslie. I am not surprised at how
great it came out but I am amazed at the speed you did it.
Wow!
God Bless you seems appropriate ; )

Taria, humming Hank William's 'Move it on over' song.

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/w...-over-998.html