Color Run

Old February 10th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Color Run

Didn't we just have some conversation about colors
running in a quilt? Well, that must have jinxed me,
because it just happened to me! This is a small table
topper quilt that had not been washed since I made it.
This morning I washed it in cold water in the washer.
Some of the deep red ran on the white squares. I did
not have that special treatment stuff on hand, so I
just put it back into the washer with two new color
catch sheets, some detergent, and some zout. It came
out nice and clear again!! Yippee!! PAT
Old February 10th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
witchystitcher

The quilting angels were smiling on you today!

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:15:27 -0500, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

I did
not have that special treatment stuff on hand, so I
just put it back into the washer with two new color
catch sheets, some detergent, and some zout. It came
out nice and clear again!! Yippee!! PAT

Linda
PATCHogue, NY
Old February 10th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Betty in Wi

I must be extremely lucky....I've never had any colors run and I've never
used a color catcher. Now I've jinxed it for sure! But I have had shrinkage
problems. Maybe it's the fabrics I use....or the laundry detergent. I use
Tide Free because of allergies. I recently bought a vintage quilt....hand
pieced, hand appliqued, and hand quilted and did some research on the
internet to see how to wash it. This particular woman did not recommend
using the soaps made especially for quilts...she said something about them
not have something that prevented the dirt from going back into the quilt
from the wash water and you had to rinse them many, many times. She
recommended using a laundry detergent without any additives such as perfume,
bleach, etc....and Tide Free was one she mentioned. Just Lucky in WI. Betty.

Old February 10th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

Also -- next time at Costco -- grab a box of Epsom Salts in the Health/Beauty Aids section. Add a
cup or so to your wash load and it will help set the colors.

The color catchers are also great al preventing running dye from migrating to other garments.

Kate in MI

Old February 10th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nitengale

Kate in MIhttp://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves

--

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in ...

Great suggestion...thanks for that nugget!

Pat...what part of Va are you in? I'm in Northern Va.
Wanda

Old February 10th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

Well Pat that was me but it wasn't in a quilt. It was a dreaded dance
leotard that is now in the trash. I'm STILL working on the clothes. Last
resort is throwing in a little bit of bleach and praying that it won't ruin
anything and will turn it all white again.

Tried - Biz, Shout Dye Catcher, Oxi-Clean.

--
Cindy from MO

Old February 10th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Hampton Roads! Will you be here, at the MAQF in two
weeks? PAT

Old February 10th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

The brand I can find here is Woolite, but there are others, such as Carbona.
Have a good look next to the shelf with specialty laundry products and dye.
The color catchers look a bit like softener sheets. They used to look like
terry wash cloths, which lasted about 50 wash loads.
Roberta in D

"Jacqueline" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Betty,

I don't even know what a color catcher is, would like to be able to
find them though just to keep on hand. Can someone give me the brand
name of them and where I can find them?

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Jacqueline in KY

Old February 10th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

If your water is hard try adding some water softener to your load.
You can get it in powder or liquid.
Taria

Old February 10th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

The ones I have are Shout brand. I get them at the grocery store;
they're in the laundry products aisle, near the other spot remover stuff.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/