Crochet hooks

Old April 5th 05, 05:56 AM
Daisy

Default Crochet hooks

I would like to try crochet beading, and need to know if the 00 size
hook will be small enough for seed beads. I realise there are a
number of sizes of seed beads, so perhaps the size next up from the
very small ones could be used for crochet?

If anyone knows the hook size and bead sizes I would be grateful.

Cheers

Daisy
Old April 5th 05, 02:24 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I made up my own purse pattern with seed beads. Cannot remember the
size hook I used. However, this is what you need to think about:

The thread has to be able to go through the beads. The hook is
immaterial, except that it needs to be a size that makes a neat crochet
with the thread you've chosen.

The beads are crocheted as you go. The hook doesn't go through the
beads. You string the beads on the thread. So you have to have a bead
with a hole large enough to accomodate the chosen thread.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old April 5th 05, 11:17 PM

As Dianne said, you need to be able to get the bead onto the yarn.
Although I have never tried it myself, I believe that you must string
all the beads on beforehand. A really nice book I saw in my library was
titled Bead Crochet by Bethany Barry. It has nice projects and how-to's
in there. Have fun!
Diane

Old April 6th 05, 01:53 PM
bungadora

Some people, for some projects, put the beads on matching beading
thread and crochet along with regular yarn, slipping the bead into
place as needed. I seem to recall someone stringing all those beads and
keeping them in order by piling them in a canning jar.

Dora