information about Indigo Rose's Desiderata

Old January 9th 04, 05:58 AM
Rachel Janzen

Default information about Indigo Rose's Desiderata

So I'm reading through blogs today and got to WhizGidget Wonders site
and was reading through the state of stitching report. I got to the link
for the Desdiderata design (
http://www.elegantstitch.com/indigorose/desiderata.jpg ). I immediately
thought of a person I work with, she actually trained me when I first
was wired there. She retires in 18 months and loves this poem. I sort of
thought of doing it for her, but hesitated, because I don't like putting
that much time, effort and money into a project for a person who is not
a relative or very close friend. Then I thought of my bosses (direct and
the one above her) and thought maybe they could help with the expense.
Then I was like - they both cross stich, maybe we could all work
together on this. I already know if this happens, my boss' boss will not
be doing any backstitch - she hates it. She has an entire drawer full of
projects that are done except backstitching. :-) But I have some
questions. Does this project need any specialty threads? From what I was
reading on the blog (http://www.whizgidget.blogspot.com/) it is
typically done on 28 count. Both of my bosses no longer work on 28
count. Can it be done on 14 count Aida (excuse me as I shudder - even
the Aida I work on tends to be 16 or 18 count)? Any help would be
appreciated before I go make a presentation to my bosses. :-)

Thanks everyone.

Rachel

Old January 9th 04, 08:19 AM
Morgana

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 04:58:35 GMT, Rachel Janzen
wrote:

So I'm reading through blogs today and got to WhizGidget Wonders site
and was reading through the state of stitching report. I got to the link
for the Desdiderata design (
http://www.elegantstitch.com/indigorose/desiderata.jpg )

Oh my Gods, that is so creepy. When I got to the end of catching up on
reading this group I was going to post asking if anybody knew where I could
get hold of a pattern containing this poem... Spooky! Thanks :-)

-Morgana
--
WIP: Anchor's "Caught Napping"
DMC Stitch-a-Photo - Top Secret.
Old January 9th 04, 03:45 PM
Julie T in VA

I'm sure it *could* be done on 14 count.... my primary thought was that it
would make it HUGE for framing!

Old January 9th 04, 05:25 PM
Elizabeth Fusina

Rachel Janzen wrote:

But I have some questions. Does this project need any specialty threads?
From what I was reading on the blog
(http://www.whizgidget.blogspot.com/)
it is typically done on 28 count. Both of my bosses no longer work on 28
count. Can it be done on 14 count Aida (excuse me as I shudder - even the
Aida I work on tends to be 16 or 18 count)? Any help would be
appreciated before I go make a presentation to my bosses. :-)

I don't think it could be done on Aida at all, no matter the size. It
calls for three Caron threads, the rest is DMC or Anchor. I have it
kitted up, but not yet started, but as soon as I finish the two
christmas pieces I am going to use that set of scroll bars to do it on.

The reason for the plain weave is the various fancy stitches that it
uses, IIRC including satin, queen, rhodes, eyelet, and some others. It
could possibly be done, actually, but it would not be fun.

Elizabeth
Old January 10th 04, 01:05 AM
Rachel Janzen

Elizabeth Fusina wrote:

I don't think it could be done on Aida at all, no matter the size. It
calls for three Caron threads, the rest is DMC or Anchor. I have it
kitted up, but not yet started, but as soon as I finish the two
christmas pieces I am going to use that set of scroll bars to do it on.

The reason for the plain weave is the various fancy stitches that it
uses, IIRC including satin, queen, rhodes, eyelet, and some others. It
could possibly be done, actually, but it would not be fun.

Elizabeth

The reason I'm looking at doing it on 14 count is because of the eye
sight of the other two people working on this project. Do you have a
list of stitches required for this project?

Old January 10th 04, 02:14 AM
Elizabeth Fusina

Rachel Janzen wrote:

Elizabeth Fusina wrote:

I don't think it could be done on Aida at all, no matter the size. It
calls for three Caron threads, the rest is DMC or Anchor. I have it
kitted up, but not yet started, but as soon as I finish the two
christmas pieces I am going to use that set of scroll bars to do it on.

The reason for the plain weave is the various fancy stitches that it
uses, IIRC including satin, queen, rhodes, eyelet, and some others. It
could possibly be done, actually, but it would not be fun.

Elizabeth

The reason I'm looking at doing it on 14 count is because of the eye
sight of the other two people working on this project. Do you have a
list of stitches required for this project?

Gonna go get the chart right now...Right. The specialty threads used are
waterlilies number 018 Peacock and 104 Cafe Au Lait, and wildflowers 018
peacock. You will also need #8 Pearl in DMC 738 or Anchor 372.

She gives diagrams for queen stitch, plaited stitch in two variations,
eyelet in two variations, herringbone, long arm cross stitch, vertical
cross stitch, rice stitch, rhodes in two variations, triple rice stitch,
foursided stitch, foliage stitch, and alternating double backstitch.
Some you could probably do on 14 count, but some would be a case of
punching through the center of a square, not my favorite activity while
stitching. I would get the pattern and then decide. It is big, but since
the vast majority of it is backstitching the words, it might not take as
long as it would otherwise.

Elizabeth
Old January 10th 04, 03:04 AM
Rachel Janzen

Elizabeth Fusina wrote:
It is big, but since
the vast majority of it is backstitching the words, it might not take as
long as it would otherwise.

Elizabeth

oh goody - did I mention one of my co-stitchers hates to backstitch?

Old January 11th 04, 12:52 AM
Ellice

On 1/9/04 11:25 AM,"Elizabeth Fusina" posted:

Rachel Janzen wrote:

But I have some questions. Does this project need any specialty threads?
From what I was reading on the blog
(http://www.whizgidget.blogspot.com/)
it is typically done on 28 count. Both of my bosses no longer work on 28
count. Can it be done on 14 count Aida (excuse me as I shudder - even the
Aida I work on tends to be 16 or 18 count)? Any help would be
appreciated before I go make a presentation to my bosses. :-)

I don't think it could be done on Aida at all, no matter the size. It
calls for three Caron threads, the rest is DMC or Anchor. I have it
kitted up, but not yet started, but as soon as I finish the two
christmas pieces I am going to use that set of scroll bars to do it on.

The reason for the plain weave is the various fancy stitches that it
uses, IIRC including satin, queen, rhodes, eyelet, and some others. It
could possibly be done, actually, but it would not be fun.

I tend to agree with Elizabeth. The Indigo Rose designs are gorgeous, and
her stitch diagrams very clear. But, there is a lot of instruction, and I
think it would be difficult to do some of the stitches on aida. Some could
be done, but the Rhodes, queen, & rice stitches would be very difficult -
splitting aida isn't fun. Her designs usually include those stitches.

Would your bosses be able to work on 25 ct - that would be a better choice.
14ct aida is the same scale as 28 ct, just you're not counting the over 2.
Would probably have to adjust the strands used in the floss up to 3 not 2,
and it depends on what Caron threads are being used if you'd increase it.
When I'm next in the shop, I'll look at the chart. You might be able to get
some more information with some further web looking - sometimes the
description will tell you what stitches are included.

Got to run - it is a beautiful piece, but......Good luck,
ellice

Old January 23rd 04, 08:07 PM
NKG2bbg

Indigo Rose's Desiderata, would like to know where I can find this pattern. Is
this the name of it? I would like to make this if someone can let me know where
I can purchase it. It is beautiful!!

NancyG

Old January 24th 04, 03:12 AM
Ericka Kammerer

NKG2bbg wrote:

Indigo Rose's Desiderata, would like to know where I can find this pattern. Is
this the name of it? I would like to make this if someone can let me know where
I can purchase it. It is beautiful!!

Lots of places have it. I often order from Elegant Stitch
(http://www.elegantstitch.com).

Best wishes,
Ericka

More information about allaboutbeading DreamBeadr Beads 5 October 28th 04 03:28 PM
American Antique Watches (also Jewellery Watches): Information Sources Indicator [email protected] Jewelry 0 October 7th 04 02:20 PM
AD: Mints & Roses starlia Beads 15 March 19th 04 07:01 PM
New Roses & Japanese embroidery designs, plus freebies! Anna & Polina Machine Knit 0 February 7th 04 04:07 PM
Information request Mo Glass 3 October 9th 03 11:33 PM