large purses

Old February 15th 05, 02:20 AM
meka

Default large purses

I love large purses, large enough to carry everything I need. I would
like to know how I could design my own specialty purses.If I could get
some ideas and maybe some tips, that would be great.

Thanks

Old February 16th 05, 07:05 AM
Contrarian

meka wrote:
I love large purses, large enough to carry everything I need. I would
like to know how I could design my own specialty purses.If I could get
some ideas and maybe some tips, that would be great.

my first thought was that this is somewhat tangentially OT for
r.c.j., but maybe you want to make your own findings and thingums
to decorate the purses.

I don't get the purse thing myself, but making one's own
is quite a commendable project. You might ask on a sewing
NG, e.g. news:rec.crafts.textiles.sewing or

Whether these links are any use, only you can determine.

http://www.clnonline.com/archives/de...ing0312-1.html
Creative Leisure News - Designing Perspectives

http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/s...ade-purses.htm
Make Handmade Purses - Save 30% on Books

http://www.stimpson.com grommets, etc. I have no idea if they
sell retail.

I understand sewing leather generally requires a machine beyond
the usual home sewer starter.
Old February 16th 05, 03:56 PM
Empress Beads

There are a lot of different styles of purses he

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_sewing_a...V_3321,00.html

Also if you like in the US and have cable you can record HGTV Crafters Coast
to Coast. Find out when it comes on in you area. They always have
different purses they are making on there. I have even seen a purse made by
using Duct TAPE!

Thanks
Amy
http://www.empressbeads.com

Old February 17th 05, 01:55 AM
Ted Frater

meka wrote:
I love large purses, large enough to carry everything I need. I would
like to know how I could design my own specialty purses.If I could get
some ideas and maybe some tips, that would be great.

Thanks

Im afraid the ideas will have to come from you, as for tips, well heres
a few to go on.
Apart from carrying all you need in a large purse( here in the uk we
call them hand bags and purses are small bags for your money usually
fitting in the hand),whats in your purse defines its carrying capacity
plus some spare space for things you might add during the day.
So,
Lay out on a table all you normally carry with you. decide IF you want
some readily available and those you might not need more than once.
From this little exercise you will see how many compartments youll
need. By compartmentalising your things youll be able to simplify
finding what you might need at any one moment.
From this youll be able to see a purse devided up into compartments.
Now some things will need to be really secure like your money or cards.
youll therefore need a strong room! in the middle of your purse where
theives cant easily get at.
now with all your things properly located youll need to look at the
shoulder strap. It will need to be wide enough to spread the load so it
wont cut into your shoulder. At least 2 ins wide.
as for material, the choice is yours but do remember youll put a lot
of work into making it so it will need to be suitable.
Most large purses are from either a woven fabric or a leathwer type
material. you then have to research how your going to join it all together.
Anyheavy weight fabric will need the right industrial sewing machine.
Likewise for leather. Otherwise youll need to sew it up by hand. For
this youll need a proper awl for making the holes and the right thread
thickness and needle to suit.
do you see what your getting yourself into?. nothing wrong with that
except its a lot of work for a one off.
Your sort of reinventing the wheel, since purses or bags have been in
use for 1000's of years. Each has been made to suit its user.

Look around you and youll see thousands of different designs.
but the basic function will mostly be the same. the carrying and safe
keeping of your personal daily posessions.
Hope this helps

..

Focus on Design - Block size and large quilts frood Quilting 32 January 19th 05 10:58 PM
J. Ritchie Box Purses Are Finally Here! LisaMoo Marketplace 0 December 7th 03 02:39 PM
Large Format Printing Kima Marketplace 0 November 25th 03 08:51 PM
Looking for source for large slate frame or alternative for Starmore's Spiral Chessboard shelley Needlework 1 November 22nd 03 02:40 AM
large tiles cracking Monika Schleidt Pottery 3 September 23rd 03 01:47 PM