magnets for purses

Old November 27th 03, 06:05 PM
Puffins

Default magnets for purses

I have seen in a store a cotton fabric purse that closed using a magnet. It
wasn't the nice "magnetic clasp" this was just a square of magnet (kind of like
the kind you can cut up for craft work) between the layers but it was strong.
This was used in a reversible purse and I can't find this kind of magnet
anywhere. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
please reply to me.
thank you
Donna
Old November 27th 03, 06:39 PM
SEL

An earth magnet would work - very strong. All sizes are easily available at
Lee Valley Tools, I know for sure -
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ID=&ccurrency=
1

Good luck

Shannon L.

Old November 28th 03, 03:18 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

(Puffins) verbositized:

I have seen in a store a cotton fabric purse that closed using a magnet. It
wasn't the nice "magnetic clasp" this was just a square of magnet (kind of like
the kind you can cut up for craft work) between the layers but it was strong.
This was used in a reversible purse and I can't find this kind of magnet
anywhere. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
please reply to me.
thank you
Donna

Hi Donna

A little help with magnets and how their field strength is measured.

The field strength of a magnet is measured in two ways, one is the
Gauss and the other is the Tesla. G & T respectively.
10,000G is equal to 1T.

The very strongest of the common ferrite magnets is only 1000G or
0.1T. If a pair is situated perfectly with a faceplate, it can be
used to hold cabinet doors shut. If they are not aligned just right,
there is very little holding strength.

Rare earth magnets have a field strength around 1T, which is about 10
times stronger than any ferrite magnet. But they have little pull
over distance as ferrite magnets do. For example, lifting a bunch of
nails from one inch away causing them to jump up to the magnet.

Rare earth magnets work only in close proximity.
Which, for a coin purse closure, would be the ideal magnet to use.
No pull until you want the purse closed, then strong holding power to
keep it that way once it is closed.

Using only a very small rare earth magnet, you can support the weight
of several large metallic items.

If the exact shape of the magnet is not important, since you will be
sewing them into the lining of a purse. You can find them on eBay in
grab bags of rare earth magnets, oftentimes as many as 75 of these
little guys for under 20 bucks.

TTUL
Gary