Trivia

Old September 10th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

Default Trivia

Both on and off-topic: We visited the Rug-Hooking Capital of the World
-- Cheticamp on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, and saw some truly
amazing concoctions. I'd only seen it done with strips of cloth, but
these people sitting there at frames with balls of yarn attached,
hooking calmly away in such skilled detail that the finished pieces were
reversible! And the most amazing thing was a portrait of a beloved
activist priest who helped the area become self-sufficient and out from
under the thumb of the evil mercantile capitalists -- done in hooked
yarn so fine it looked like petit point or counted cross-stitch. I have
a pic but no place to post it yet; will post when I get through my "trip
report" (our first Elderhostel venture, escorting my mother).

Oh, but the trivia: i'd always heard that Canadian French was very
different from Parisian French in its vocabulary adoptions, and since
all the signs in Cape Breton were bilingual, I picked up a lot of
French. Rug-hooking there is "tapis hooke'"(I don't know how to put
that accent over the e) instead of "tapis crochete'."
Old September 10th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

cool thanks for the trivia.
Sound very intersesting how they make it reversible.

Old September 10th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Eastern Edge

spampot wrote:
[...]

How very interesting! I have made a mental note for the next time I
visit my sister in Nova Scotia (I'm one province east).

Thanks!
Michelle

Old September 10th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,it.cultura.single
Urbano's

"spampot" ha scritto nel messaggio

[...]

anche il francese che si parla a Metz è diverso dal francese parigino

--

*eh* ? (cit)

Old September 10th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

Eastern Edge wrote:
spampot wrote:

[...]

Oh, do go there; Cheticamp is a pretty little hamlet and close to the
national park which has breathtaking views. Les Trois Pignons in
Cheticamp has the rug-hooking museum (www.lestroispignons.com). And we
had the yummiest chowder at a restaurant called Laurie's Dining Room,
where the waitress pronounced "potatoes" exactly the way my late Irish
grandmother said the word.

Old September 11th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,it.cultura.single
Max

"Urbano's" wrote :

Oh, but the trivia: i'd always heard that Canadian French was very
different from Parisian French in its vocabulary adoptions, and since
all the signs in Cape Breton were bilingual, I picked up a lot of
French. Rug-hooking there is "tapis hooke'"(I don't know how to put
that accent over the e) instead of "tapis crochete'."

anche il francese che si parla a Metz è diverso dal francese parigino

Nel caso del Canada, pero', e' sorprendente : dopotutto a Little Italy
a New York, sembra proprio di stare in piazza del popolo come a Mogadiscio.

KNOT TRIVIA QUESTION Peter Knots 0 August 18th 05 08:40 PM
M*A*S*H (tv, not movie) trivia question= ON topic too Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 8 November 30th 03 04:51 AM
Apology for my trivia post Brian D Yarn 15 August 7th 03 02:51 PM
M'n'M Trivia, chocolate is not OT here, hrmph Diana Curtis Quilting 15 July 14th 03 12:20 PM