Central Il Shop Hop report (long)

Old October 16th 04, 05:12 PM
Maureen Wozniak

Default Central Il Shop Hop report (long)

I had yesterday off and my friend Rachel took the day off. We belong to
the same little group of four--The Tilted Quilters. The other 2
TQ--Michelle and Linda are following in our footsteps today. We started
at 8 from Springfield to hit as many of the 17 participating shops as
we could.

first stop was a new little shop in Havana (didn't catch the name). We
got there just after 9 and I was surprised at how crowded it was
already. Its a pretty small , but nice shop that seems to run mainly
toward what I think of as "country" looking fabrics and 19th C.
reproductions. R. surprised me by promptly buying a bunch of homespun
FQs, because she never buys anything. From there it was off to a little
gift and quilt shop in Astoria. Lots of notions and rug hooking
supplies and more "country" looking fabric here. Patterns were on sale,
but I resisted because I have enough quilt ideas already.

Next stop was Piece to Peace in Macomb and it took us awhile to get
there. R. misread the directions and we got lost. Then when we got
back on track we ran into road work--Rt. 136 was down to one lane so it
took a long time. R. claimed to be faint with hunger by the time we got
there and I was feeling a little cranky myself. The shop had moved from
the address we had, but naturally we managed to track it down. I liked
this shop. and they had cookies all ready for us!
R. bought needles and they cut a half yard of a thimbleberries fabric
into 2 FQs for R. and I. I also bought a neat almost tone on tone black
fabric to use as a back for one quilt I'm working on. Then checked the
sale bin and found some fun greenish-yellow sunflowers, which I got 1/2
yd of. (I had a small list of things I "needed" to get on this
trip--the quilt back was one and then made a "rule" to buy fabric only
to fill in some holes in my stash--purples, oranges, greens, and browns
and only stuff on sale. This becomes important later.)

From Macomb we went up to Avon. Again I can't remember the name of the
shop, but it was really nice. I'd go back in a heartbeat. It had a
fabulous selection of all kinds of fabric. I promptly broke one of my
rules here by getting a yummy orange print that wasn't on sale and some
half yards of white and creamy backgrounds. (But the rule that
supersedes all rules is that you always buy a 1/2 yard or yard of a good
background fabric.) I also won a door prize here--an applique pattern of
a church in winter. Rachel got a couple more FQs here in browns and
oranges. By now it was about 12:30 and R. and I were ready for lunch.
We went across the street to the Avon cafe where I had the yummiest
grilled cheese I've ever had in my life.

Now that we were well fortified. We headed up to Canton's quilt shop. I
liked this one too. I found--all on sale-- the back for the paper
pieced quilt I'm working on and two yummy purples. I tried to talk R.
into a fun stripy orange, but couldn't. It was a short trip from Canton
to--oh I know the name but it's escaping me--in Pekin. I broke the
rules here again, because I fell in love with a bundle of really bright
striped FQs in oranges, blues, pinks, and oddly, gray. R. really liked
them too but wouldn't buy them because she'd "never use them." I told
you she never buys anything.

Now we were on familiar territory for me, so we were flying. Next stop
was Quilt Corner in Morton, one of my most favorite LQS. First thing I
did was check out the books and pick up Carol Doak's new paper piecing
book. That was on my list and I was going to get it one way or another.
Then back to the sale fabrics where I found a couple of nice rich
greens. I also bought some more background pieces. And I got R. a
little miffed because I won another door prize--Borders, Bindings, and
Edges by Sally Collins. I did not help matters by pointing out she wins
a door prize at almost every quilt guild meeting.

After Morton, it was Peddler's Way in Washington. Another favorite
stop. I bought bunches of 1 yd and 1/2 yd cuts that were on sale. I
resisted buying buying some Laurel Burch Xmas fabric that wasn't on
sale, though I have a fabulous idea for a table runner out of that
fabric. R. bought a bunch of funky browns and greens that were on sale
too. I really miffed R. by winning another door prize here, and even I
thought it was a little unfair. (But I was happy to see the needle
threaders I one since I'm always taking one out of one project bag to
use in another.)

From Peddler's way we went to Cozy Corner in Metamora. This was a
quick stop since most of what was here we'd already seen else where.
Neither of us got anything here. Then the 20 minute drive to Quilt n
Sew Dreams in Dunlap. Another of my favs. R. got a yard of the
funniest black and white and orange cat fabric to use in a baby quilt
she's making. I bought some thread for quilting one of my quilts and a
couple of other small notions. No fabric which was totally a first for
me. I've never gone in that shop without buying something.

After Dunlap we drove to Bloomington. First stop was the Sewing Studio
in Normal. I must go back to that shop! I was tempted by some yummy
suedey feeling dress fabric for a skirt, but couldn't remember how much
the pattern called for so I regretfully passed it up. Next was the
Treadle in Bloomington. This place is packed from floor to ceiling with
bolts. We dug around and R. got some more black and white fabric for
her baby quilt. We didn't spend much time here because we were hungry
and R. wanted to try to get to the last two non-Springfield shops on the
list and it was already 6:30 p.m. We grabbed some burgers to eat on the
road and headed south to Clinton.

Clinton--Quilter's Delight, I think, was another small shop but well
worth going back too. We breezed in about 7:15 and got our cards
stamped. They were amazed that we'd already visited 12 shops. We asked
how far it was to the last one in Lincoln. They told us it was 25
minutes away and we'd need to hurry. We took a quick look around and
they waved us off. I plan to go back, because I could tell that they
share my taste in quilts.

We did make it to the Lincoln shop, Sew Many Friends, by 7:45. Again,
everyone was amazed at how many stores we managed to visit. Moda
Marbles were on sale here so I got three different browns and the
yummiest, screaming lime green. On impulse I decided the buy the newest
book with the Elm Creek Quilts projects in it. R. got an orange stripe
and an orange Moda Marble. We left the shop at 8:02 p.m.

Yes, we managed all 14 non Springfield shops before closing time then
headed home. I was pretty tired and eventually went to bed dreaming
about all my new fabrics. Today, I get to wait for the cable guy to
hook up the sewing room TV and fondle all my new fabrics and drool over
my new books. So much fun!

I'll finish up the last three Springfield area shops tomorrow.
Wednesday night the TQs get together in my sewing room and we can have
show and tell.

Maureen
Old October 16th 04, 06:13 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Maureen Wozniak wrote:

I had yesterday off and my friend Rachel took the day off. We belong to
the same little group of four--The Tilted Quilters. The other 2
TQ--Michelle and Linda are following in our footsteps today. We started
at 8 from Springfield to hit as many of the 17 participating shops as
we could.

Maureen, this sounds like a perfect day! Good for you for finding the
things you wanted and for winning door prizes you could use.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

Old October 18th 04, 12:48 PM
Maureen Wozniak

It was. I finished the last three shops yesterday. Since these were my
local LQS, I knew exactly what I wanted. A couple of backs and a little
fabric for WIPs. Plus, a couple of fun Halloween prints.

Maureen

Donna wrote:

[...]

From Macomb we went up to Avon. Again I can't remember the name of the
[...]

From Peddler's way we went to Cozy Corner in Metamora. This was a quick

Old October 19th 04, 12:27 AM
nbhilyard

"Just outside Chicago there's a place called Illinois," went the tourism
jingle.

Whenever I'm headed down your way it's for AAUW or P.E.O. or libraries.
Sometime I'll have to make the trip with quilters!

Nann
in northeasternmost Illinois (4 blocks from Wisconsin and 1 mile from Lake
Michigan) who can tell you about shops in southeastern Wisconsin