I think I want to build a kiln......

Old August 9th 04, 12:17 PM
Gordon Williamson

Default I think I want to build a kiln......

Dear all,

It's time to upgrade and I have this (perhaps mad) idea of building a kiln
for my fusing and slumping activities. My thoughts are of a flat bed kiln
about 1.8 m x 1.2 m (6 foot x 4 foot) with a height of about 30 cm (1 foot).

Can anyone direct me to any resources on the web which might give me some
information to either encourage me or confirm that I am in fact mad.

Thanks

Gordon

Old August 9th 04, 04:56 PM
Charles Spitzer

try http://warmglass.com. lots of people on there have built their own.

Old August 9th 04, 07:49 PM
Sundog

Yeah...what Charlie said...;-)

I built my own 'bell' kiln 27x57" ID, 12" high, ages ago....yes... before
the (dare I say it) .. the internet! At least it was years before my first
computer, and I was a very late comer. My point is that with the internet
resources, Warmglass.com, and the combined experiences of many
home-builders, you should have an easy road of it. It took me about 1 month
start to finish with NO real resources, just a phone and a notepad to start.
So, if you have a modicum of do-it-yerselfer in ya', and time and $$, you
CAN do it... and save a huge wad of cash doing so (but only if it WORKS when
you are done). My refractory guy saw it and said it would have cost $20k to
buy ready made....my outlay was about $2400 including controller ... but 10+
years ago supply prices.

Cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

=============================

Old August 12th 04, 08:06 PM
nJb

Gordon Williamson wrote:

Dear all,

It's time to upgrade and I have this (perhaps mad) idea of building a kiln
for my fusing and slumping activities. My thoughts are of a flat bed kiln
about 1.8 m x 1.2 m (6 foot x 4 foot) with a height of about 30 cm (1 foot).

Can anyone direct me to any resources on the web which might give me some
information to either encourage me or confirm that I am in fact mad.

Thanks

Gordon

Go for it.

http://www.glassnotes.com/