Lighting Recommendations

Old December 9th 03, 04:11 PM
Francis Vesey

Default Lighting Recommendations

I just bought a house with a basement, that has very little lighting and I
am looking for recommendations. What is best, when working with Stained
Glass. Flourescent, Incandescent or Halogen? Maybe, a combination?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

---

Old December 9th 03, 08:30 PM
Stone

Hi
I am a Lampworker so what works for me might not be the best for you. (I
where dark glasses) Anyway I found that a combo of florescent and halogen
seams to put out a good range of light. The florescent has a sort of
blueish light and the halogen gives off a more yellow to red color. The
glass isn't quite the same color as if in sun light but it's the closest I
have found.

I have had people recommend the florescent made for fish tanks (one light
blue bulb and one dark purple bulb) But i found that the flickering bothers
me if I use only florescent.

I would get some track lighting that you could put a couple of halogens, a
few of the GE reveals, and a couple of those screw in floresents.
I panted my sealing white and aimed all of the lights at that to minimize
glare.

hope that gives you some ideas
Stone
(matt)

Old December 9th 03, 09:19 PM
Moonraker

"Francis Vesey" wrote in message
I just bought a house with a basement, that has very little lighting and I
am looking for recommendations. What is best, when working with Stained
Glass. Flourescent, Incandescent or Halogen? Maybe, a combination?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I light my shop with GE's Chroma50 bulbs which replicate sunlight at 5000
degrees Kelvin color temperature. They aren't broken spectrum like a
conventional flourescent tube. They cost a few bucks more but they are
worth it in my opinion. I think Phillips also makes a similar bulb. These
tubes are used in photo labs for critical color inspection areas. You know
how a picture taken under flourescent light always looks greeen? These
tubes will not do that. That's what I mean by not being broken spectrum,
the conventional tubes have a very low magenta emission, causing your photos
to be green. Our eyes and brains accomodate and adapt and we don't
consciously recognize that something is "off color", but the film does. So,
if the light is missing part of the spectrum, how can you accurately choose
glass to match each other? What looks good under one light may look like
hell in daylight........if you must use regular flourescent, add 200 w of
incandescent per 4 of the 48" flouros.

Old December 9th 03, 09:51 PM
Boner the Cat

I use all "full spectrum" lighting in the studio. shows glass up the best,
just like sunlight. It was developed by the Fins to help with their long
winter night. do a search on "full psectrum lighting" this is also very
healthy for those in a studio.

several good sites, do shop around. good natural light is at least :CRI 89-
90 (Color Rendering Index)

I found the T8 x 48" (flouresent) fittings to be best value..home Crapo and
Loews both stock the 48" 32 watt t8 tubes at about $7.00 ea.

What is the real definition of "Full Spectrum Light"

Simulated full spectrum light is color corrected light that operates in the
range of 400 to 800 nanometers. This light will simulate the optical
brilliance of outdoor light at noontime. This light can be measured by two
numbers, CRI (Color Rendering Index) and Kelvin Temperature or (Degrees
Kelvin). The secret to true color light and optically balanced light is how
close you can get to the optics of natural light. The Sun at noon has a
natural color temp of 100 CRI and between 5000 and 5500 degrees Kelvin at
noon time. Both CRI and Kelvin are important for the simulation sunlight.

When you simulate light that matches the optical brilliance of sunlight the
pupils in the eyes will become smaller. This response generates clearer
vision and higher perception. The results are lower glare and eye fatigue.
When you can combine lux intensity with high CRI and balanced Kelvin temp
you will have quality light that not only matches the optical brilliance of
the sun, but reduces levels of melatonin and the stress hormone, cortisol.

This light is not blue light or daylight color. It is clear, brilliant,
white light and simulates the exact color of sunlight at noon. The one fact
that proves that this is true is asking ourselves; What is the one thing in
our life that is missing? We spend so much time indoors, not only in the
winter when the days are shorter, but when we work all the time. Sunlight
is what we are missing and light that simulates those brilliant life giving
wave lengths will be much more effective in treating seasonal depression
than any other source or color of light.

What separates our lights from the rest are color temperature ratings. It
is also important to note that with light therapy, intensity is also
important. The facts are simple, we offer the highest optical performance
of any light therapy unit on the market today, while still delivering the
highest lux output. No light performs better than UltraLux in all three
categories. Ultralux II produces the highest lux output per sq inch of any
light made and we do this while maintaining a CRI of 91+ and a Kelvin temp
of 5000. You will see many companies state that they use full spectrum
lights but you will not see the numbers in print or graphs below to prove
they use full spectrum lights. We do not need more blue light we need more
sunlight.

Old December 9th 03, 10:05 PM
Bill Browne

And no matter what you use, don't put a dimmer on it. When you turn it
down, it changes the color temperature.

--
Bill Browne
Computer for work http://excalibur-dbf.com

Old December 9th 03, 11:02 PM
Michele Blank

are you saying you sell these lights? I did just happen to see a replacement
sunlight therapy lamp available for desk top in a catalog by techno scout.

snip

Old December 10th 03, 02:24 AM
nJb

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:02:34 GMT, "Michele Blank"
wrote:

are you saying you sell these lights? I did just happen to see a replacement
sunlight therapy lamp available for desk top in a catalog by techno scout.

Every year at this time I'm gonna build a therapy light box but by the
time I get around to it spring time rolls around.

Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/

Old December 10th 03, 03:29 AM
Moonraker

wrote:

are you saying you sell these lights? I did just happen to see a

replacement
sunlight therapy lamp available for desk top in a catalog by techno

scout.

Every year at this time I'm gonna build a therapy light box but by the
time I get around to it spring time rolls around.

Build one? Go to Homer D. Poe's supply house and buy a 2 tube flouro dhop
lite fixture with a reflector. The one I got had a cord wired in, with a
pull chain switch. I think I paid $35 or so for it, and get 2 of the
aforementioned 5000K bulbs. I have mine in the bedroom, and I turn it on
for about 45 mins in the morning while I lay back and drink coffee and watch
Fox News. I don't do it every day, just the cloudy, wet days. You don't
have to look straight into the bulbs, just off to the side at a 45* angle
will work. I lean it up against the chest of drawers and let er rip. I
have mine about 42" away from my face. I absolutely can tell the
difference in my mood when the sun shines and if I don't use the therapy
lamps.

She who must be obeyed knows, too! And reminds me.

Old December 10th 03, 05:06 AM
Moonraker

Will it make you "happy"? If yer in a funk you can't work, right? Sounds
like a production tool to me.

You can hold a plate in there with you and "anneal" it. Or, buy a quart of
that UV glue and go into the "repair" business when you ain't sunning yer
buns.

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
so, is this the excuse i've been looking for to buy a tanning bed as a tax
write-off? m

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

[...]

Very OT - Recommendations for Gamecube Games? Karen_AZ Beads 9 December 2nd 04 06:07 AM
Lighting for showing beads Soluxlamps Beads 0 November 4th 04 06:45 PM
Book Recommendations? Pam Beads 1 March 29th 04 10:45 PM
soldering gun/iron recommendations? Jennifer Moore Beads 17 December 6th 03 01:43 AM