Pattern Copyright Question

Old September 5th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Sandy

Default Pattern Copyright Question

I am thinking about making an instructional DVD for crocheting, mainly
just for fun, but maybe I can sell a few copies. Of course I will show
how to do the basic stitches and things. But I am wondering what
things I cannot show because of copyrights.

For example, I have books of stitches for granny squares. Can I
demonstrate these stitches with the video? Or would that violate the
author's copyright? Also, if I find free patterns, such as from Lion
Brand Yarn, can I demonstrate these on the video?

I do have my own patterns, which use stitches from those books. So I
don't see how I can't show those stitches...

Any info about this would be helpful!
Thanks!
Sandy

Old September 5th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Johanna Koski

For example, I have books of stitches for granny squares. Can I
demonstrate these stitches with the video? Or would that violate the
author's copyright? Also, if I find free patterns, such as from Lion
Brand Yarn, can I demonstrate these on the video?

Any stitch that is concidered as a "public domain", let's say
chainstitch, you can use. All the stitch library books etc. if you can
find the same stitch in several books from different authors, you can
use. No one can copyright basics. If you don't show the actual book, nor
the instructions from the book, it's ok. You make your own piece and you
have a copyright to those works.

Johanna
Old September 6th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

You make your own piece and you
have a copyright to those works.

Johanna

In order to own a copyright, you must mark it as copyrighted!
Instructions are provided by the Library of Congress. Failure to
follow the copyright laws concerning securing copyright can result in
no ownership at all, and no right to prosecute others for using the
material. This is not the proper forum to provide details, but this
one is so basic and important it needs to be said -- distribution or
showing a work to anybody without having the proper copyright marking
on the item means you lose the right to copyright it! Generally, there
are two steps to securing copyright protection -- mark the item in
accordance with the copyright law, and then secure formal copyright by
filing the item with the copyright office in the Library of Congress.
The first costs nothing, and the second costs a bit. I suggest you
contact the Library of Congress for information, and if you intend to
publish, sell, or distribute your item (even at no charge), that you
contact an attorney versed in "intellectual property". If you have a
commercial publisher handle your item, the publisher will normally do
all the necessary follow-through on your behalf.

Old September 7th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Johanna Koski

In order to own a copyright, you must mark it as copyrighted!
Instructions are provided by the Library of Congress. Failure to
follow the copyright laws concerning securing copyright can result in
no ownership at all, and no right to prosecute others for using the
material. This is not the proper forum to provide details, but this
one is so basic and important it needs to be said -- distribution or
showing a work to anybody without having the proper copyright marking
on the item means you lose the right to copyright it! Generally, there
are two steps to securing copyright protection -- mark the item in
accordance with the copyright law, and then secure formal copyright by
filing the item with the copyright office in the Library of Congress.
The first costs nothing, and the second costs a bit.

I think in Finland you don't have to report the copyrighted items to
anywhere. When you have created it and it's individual enough to be
"stand alone" product, it has a copyright. If you want to protect it,
then it's trademark.

Johanna
Old September 9th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Pat Crean

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:19:15 -0700, Mary wrote:

Actually, in any country that's a signatory to the Berne Convention, any
original work is automatically covered by copyright regardless of any
registration. I'm familiar with the US copyright laws and registration
here gives you additional protection in that there are statutory damages
you may be entitled to in the event of infringement (quite substantial
damages, as a matter of fact) while you're only entitled to recover actual
damages if you don't register. The work itself, though is still
copyrighted, simply through the act of creation and publication...

unlurking - pattern question Cats13 Yarn 2 June 30th 05 05:51 AM
Update on lapghan and changing yarn on pattern question Denise Yarn 4 January 11th 04 03:49 PM
pattern question Natalie Quilting 4 January 1st 04 03:55 PM
Drunkard's Path pattern question Ann Quilting 6 October 28th 03 08:35 AM