Usenet closing entire 'rec.crafts.textiles' section?

Old July 18th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Tracey

Default Usenet closing entire 'rec.crafts.textiles' section?

JCT wrote:
I don't use them as a provider other than using the LAN in our home
wirelessly. We have never used them for e-mail or whatever. My DH has
never wanted to try switching our e-mail as address is very widely
available in print and changing it would be an immense issue. I
could, I guess but don't really need to switch.

You don't have to use their e-mail servers to use their newsgroup
servers (and if I'm telling you something you already know, don't
take offense.)

I use RR for net access and newsgroup access. Not for e-mail. They're
really pretty good, AFAICT.

Tracey

Old July 18th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Els van Dam

In article om, "Roger"
wrote:

I use sympatico in Canada, and they advised me that they were charging
extra for newsgroups, and as I did not pay the extra, they all
disappeared. I am now trying to use Google for NGs, (does it work?)
but may also switch to cable for high speed (and for the phones as
well?) Bell are really doing a bad job in this part of the world.

Roger.

JCT wrote:
I have not received a notice to this effect either - I access through
google. Judy

Roger if I am not mistaken you can hook up with Telus. That is what we
are using at the moment, and so far I have not have to pay for it.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old July 19th 06, 08:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On 18 Jul 2006 04:10:12 -0700, "Roger" wrote:

I use sympatico in Canada, and they advised me that they were charging
extra for newsgroups, and as I did not pay the extra, they all
disappeared. I am now trying to use Google for NGs, (does it work?)
but may also switch to cable for high speed (and for the phones as
well?) Bell are really doing a bad job in this part of the world.

I don't know if you don't want to pay anything at all, but I use
news.individual.net which provides excellent service for a very small
annual fee. I think it's 10 euros a year.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old July 19th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

B Vaughan wrote:
On 18 Jul 2006 04:10:12 -0700, "Roger" wrote:

I use sympatico in Canada, and they advised me that they were charging
extra for newsgroups, and as I did not pay the extra, they all
disappeared. I am now trying to use Google for NGs, (does it work?)
but may also switch to cable for high speed (and for the phones as
well?) Bell are really doing a bad job in this part of the world.

I don't know if you don't want to pay anything at all, but I use
news.individual.net which provides excellent service for a very small
annual fee. I think it's 10 euros a year.

That is cheap Barbara. All of us will be paying soon I believe.

Hugs & God bless.
Dennis & Gail
Old July 25th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Gina Bull

I follow the newsgroup that discusses/votes on Usenet
(news.groups), and there has been no discussion of getting
rid of any rec.crafts groups. Your specific Internet
provider may have decided to cut back on their service,
however. I would think that if you let that entity know that
you do use a certain newsgroup that they would keep it
available. The amount of disk space needed to support a
rec.crafts newsgroup is paltry compared to any of the
alt.binaries newsgroups.

Gina Bull
Usenet Administrator
Network Systems
Information Technology and Communications
University of Virginia

YarnWright wrote:
Coming out of imposed lurkdom to ask if anyone else has heard from
their NTTP provider(s) that usenet is closing down the entire
rec.crafts. textiles (.whatever, in this case .yarn) ??
I received 4 notices yesterday, from each of the NTTP servers I use.
Back into imposed lurkdom,
Noreen

Old July 26th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

YarnWright wrote:
Coming out of imposed lurkdom to ask if anyone else has heard from
their NTTP provider(s) that usenet is closing down the entire
rec.crafts. textiles (.whatever, in this case .yarn) ??
I received 4 notices yesterday, from each of the NTTP servers I use.
Back into imposed lurkdom,
Noreen

Gina,

Thank you so much for clearing this up.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old July 26th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Els van Dam

In article , Gina Bull
wrote:

I follow the newsgroup that discusses/votes on Usenet
(news.groups), and there has been no discussion of getting
rid of any rec.crafts groups. Your specific Internet
provider may have decided to cut back on their service,
however. I would think that if you let that entity know that
you do use a certain newsgroup that they would keep it
available. The amount of disk space needed to support a
rec.crafts newsgroup is paltry compared to any of the
alt.binaries newsgroups.

Gina Bull
Usenet Administrator
Network Systems
Information Technology and Communications
University of Virginia

Thank you Gina

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr