Do I Want A Serger?

Old January 6th 04, 02:22 PM
QuilterD

Default Do I Want A Serger?

DH almost got me a serger for Christmas, but I'm not sure if I want one. I
don't sew clothes anymore since my daughter is grown and do mostly quilts and
home decorating type projects. I'm really not familiar at all with what a
serger can do (other than seams for knits) and would appreciate your insight
into how it can be used - or a good website as a resource for information on
one.

Don't post here too often, but always read.

Thanks,
Dianne
Western PA (snowy and cold)
Old January 6th 04, 05:06 PM
unbroken

"QuilterD" wrote in message
DH almost got me a serger for Christmas, but I'm not sure if I want one.

don't sew clothes anymore since my daughter is grown and do mostly quilts

and
home decorating type projects. I'm really not familiar at all with what

serger can do (other than seams for knits) and would appreciate your

insight
into how it can be used - or a good website as a resource for information

on
one.

Don't post here too often, but always read.

Thanks,
Dianne
Western PA (snowy and cold)

I don't recommend getting a serger if you don't make clothes. They are
mainly what's used to make clothes you buy in the store. Look at the bottom
of the shirt you have on , it does all that fancy hemming.

Isabella

Old January 6th 04, 05:26 PM
Kate Dicey

QuilterD wrote:

DH almost got me a serger for Christmas, but I'm not sure if I want one. I
don't sew clothes anymore since my daughter is grown and do mostly quilts and
home decorating type projects. I'm really not familiar at all with what a
serger can do (other than seams for knits) and would appreciate your insight
into how it can be used - or a good website as a resource for information on
one.

Don't post here too often, but always read.

Thanks,
Dianne
Western PA (snowy and cold)

Hit the URL below and look round my web site: I do quite a lot with my
serger, though mostly clothing.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 6th 04, 08:59 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: Kate Dicey

...... I do quite a lot with my
serger, though mostly clothing.

Like Kate, people pay me to sew stuff for them. My business is mostly
alterations, home decor and finish work for needlework designers and one of the
needlework magazines. I use my serger **a LOT** on just about everything I
make. I even use it on quilts -- I run the edges through the serger before
putting the binding on!
Just about anything you sew on the sewing machine can be serged. Not
everything but a real majority of things. Whether or not you *need* a serger is
another question all together -- LOL! If you do a lot of home dec, then I
think you would be able to use a serger. A decent serger will be able to
handle the heavier fabrics that a lot of home dec stuff is made from and it's
an absolute life-saver if you sew on silks or anything similar that likes to
fray at the drop of a hat!
I have a friend who got her first sewing machine for Christmas 2002 and she
has now graduated to being able to sew a straight line. Her 2003 Christmas
pressie was a dedicated embroidery machine. Her 2004 pressie will likely be a
serger unless she gets it for her b-day in October. I am still not sure just
*what* she will do with a serger -- it's not what I would recommend for a
fairly new sewing person -- LOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old January 6th 04, 09:47 PM
Pogonip

QuilterD wrote:
DH almost got me a serger for Christmas, but I'm not sure if I want one. I
don't sew clothes anymore since my daughter is grown and do mostly quilts and
home decorating type projects. I'm really not familiar at all with what a
serger can do (other than seams for knits) and would appreciate your insight
into how it can be used - or a good website as a resource for information on
one.

Don't post here too often, but always read.

Thanks,
Dianne
Western PA (snowy and cold)

Home dec? Do you like to make your own tablecloths and
napkins? A serged rolled hem on those looks very posh,
much better than most other hems. I have even done it
with odd bits of interesting fabric to make runners and
pads for tables. A serged seam is also good on many
curtains - it works much better on a loose weave than a
regular sewing machine seam. Serged seams are great on
pillow covers, too. You finish the edge of the fabric and
sew in seam in one swell foop, and the resulting seam is
sturdy. A serger is very fast, and does more in one pass
- it puts in the seam and finishes the edge all at once.
Some machines will do a chain stitch - which is good for
decoration sometimes, or when you have a particular need.
Coverstitch which is found on the more expensive
machines can also be used as a decorative finish on many
things - placemats, throws, whatever your imagination
brings. Serged seams are also good on utility quilts.

Go to several dealers, look at the samples of what each
serger does, ask questions, make a day of it.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old January 7th 04, 02:06 AM
QuilterD

I really appreciate all of your comments - they have been helpful. I think at
my next trip to the sewing machine dealer I'll check out their sergers and talk
to some of the people there.

Thanks - and more comments/ideas/suggestions are certainly welcome.

Dianne
Western PA
Old January 10th 04, 05:49 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I love having a serger, but I do sew a lot of clothes. I've used it
occasionally for home dec stuff but never for quilts.

Maureen

Old January 10th 04, 07:53 PM
Sally Holmes

Maureen Wozniak wrote:
I love having a serger, but I do sew a lot of clothes. I've used it
occasionally for home dec stuff but never for quilts.

I've made plenty of simple children's quilts using mine. It's good for
speed-pieced blocks as it's faster than a home sewing machine.

Sally

Buying a serger MoragP Quilting 3 January 3rd 05 05:09 PM
Serger and quilting The Laws Quilting 2 December 27th 04 08:48 PM
OT - used serger NinaJ Quilting 25 October 7th 04 04:04 PM
Serger learning curve Diana Curtis Sewing 9 September 22nd 03 05:01 AM
Serger Progect Book. 56 Great serger ideas! madhatress Marketplace 0 July 31st 03 01:48 AM